Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Don't let anybody fool you...it is hotter than hell for the vast majority of the year in Phoenix...and you will get tired of living most of your daylight hours indoors with the AC blasting full time...Phoenix also does not cool off at night anymore...get ready for 90-100 degrees even at midnight.

Realistically 90's start in March and don't end until November...April and October can see 100 and May, June, July, August and September are pretty much above 100...and sometimes well above 100.

A nice change for a year or two but it wears on you big time.
Now, let's be real.

We had our first 90 degree day two days ago - in April. And the nights? 50's / 60's.

July and August? Yep - dang hot. 110 and 90 at midnight. May, June and September? Yeah - there might be a few days at 100 / 103. But the nights do cool down - 70's / 80's. And, with the exception of August, it's pretty dang dry. Heck, I'll take a 100 degrees and 15/20% humidity over 90 degrees and 70 / 80% humidity anytime.

My A/C has not been on since the first of October '07. It will probably be the first week in May that I "might" turn it on -

So, lets try to be a little more factual - OK?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Now, let's be real.

We had our first 90 degree day two days ago - in April. And the nights? 50's / 60's.

July and August? Yep - dang hot. 110 and 90 at midnight. May, June and September? Yeah - there might be a few days at 100 / 103. But the nights do cool down - 70's / 80's. And, with the exception of August, it's pretty dang dry. Heck, I'll take a 100 degrees and 15/20% humidity over 90 degrees and 70 / 80% humidity anytime.

My A/C has not been on since the first of October '07. It will probably be the first week in May that I "might" turn it on -

So, lets try to be a little more factual - OK?
Well, I'm factualizing that you're cheap.

LOL...anyways...I'm generalizing for the over 17 years I lived in hell.

90's show up in March...get more frequent in April when 100's can show up...May sees several 100's...June, July, August are solid 100+...September sees it share of 100's...October has 100's too and November sees 90's also.

The fact is hot weather (90+) hangs around most of the year...and to me 90+ is hot...it isn't 'nice'.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 AM

110 posts, read 322,876 times
Yes, the AZ summer heat does suck in the deserts...I don't know if anybody ever gets used to it, I think we just do our best to deal with it. This spring seems to be a lot "cooler" than usual though. Usually by now we would have had several 90+ degree days and we've only had a few, and yesterday was only in the 70's! What I don't get, is how come it's been so windy this year!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Well, I'm factualizing that you're cheap.

LOL...anyways...I'm generalizing for the over 17 years I lived in hell.

90's show up in March...get more frequent in April when 100's can show up...May sees several 100's...June, July, August are solid 100+...September sees it share of 100's...October has 100's too and November sees 90's also.

The fact is hot weather (90+) hangs around most of the year...and to me 90+ is hot...it isn't 'nice'.
And, I'm factualizing for the over 60 years I have lived in Arizona.

And, as for being "cheap"? Nope - my electricty is free - totally free.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil99 View Post
Yes, the AZ summer heat does suck in the deserts...I don't know if anybody ever gets used to it, I think we just do our best to deal with it. This spring seems to be a lot "cooler" than usual though. Usually by now we would have had several 90+ degree days and we've only had a few, and yesterday was only in the 70's! What I don't get, is how come it's been so windy this year!
The coolness and the wind are directly related. Cold fronts traveling to the north of us cause our winds to kick up and also suppress high pressure ridges and introduce cooler air on the backside keeping temps down. Pick your poison! It won't last. Eventually the fronts just get too far north, the high sets in, winds slacken, and temps soar. It's inevitable.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil99 View Post
Yes, the AZ summer heat does suck in the deserts...I don't know if anybody ever gets used to it, I think we just do our best to deal with it.
You seem to imply that "the deserts" all run at the same temperatures, but nothing could be further from the truth. For example, Kingman is in the desert, but at 3500' it rarely runs much over 100F. I've found it to be quite tolerable and takes no getting used to it. There are deserts at all altitudes and temperatures to choose from in Arizona.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM

110 posts, read 322,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You seem to imply that "the deserts" all run at the same temperatures, but nothing could be further from the truth. For example, Kingman is in the desert, but at 3500' it rarely runs much over 100F. I've found it to be quite tolerable and takes no getting used to it. There are deserts at all altitudes and temperatures to choose from in Arizona.
I meant the southern deserts surrounding Phoenix

Old 04-19-2008, 05:24 PM

61 posts, read 258,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint_Noname View Post
After the recent flooding here in the Midwest, I am considering moving to Arizona where there is much less rain and no snow. I have always known that Arizona is the hottest state in the United States in terms of temperatures, but then found out that Illinois is 2-4 times more humid in the summers than Arizona. Despite the fact that Arizona heat is "dry", I always hear people complain that it's so hot, they can't breathe. I know that the opinion of what AZ heat feels like can vary significantly from person to person, but how does it really feel like? Here in Illinois, we sometimes get temperatures that are just as bad...except there's much more humidity. People I know who have visited Arizona say that the lack of humidity makes you not sweat, which would probably feel more comfortable to me!
I personally love the hot dry heat. However, it can get kind of chilly during evenings especially during the winter. But if you like hot or warm weather and hot the humidity then you will love Phoenix!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:05 PM

6 posts, read 20,819 times
If traveling out side remember to bring many changes of clothing. During the day you will sweat and drench your clothes. Once the sun sets those clothes are going to become very chilly.

Also, it is about 10-5 degrees hotter in the city than the actual desert. Blame the concrete, cars, and roofs. 110+ at the airport? 101 in the desert. In the desert you can find canyons that jets the air in to small gusts that help to cool you. Plus small brush for shade makes all the difference.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:52 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasMetaphor View Post
I personally love the hot dry heat. However, it can get kind of chilly during evenings especially during the winter. But if you like hot or warm weather and hot the humidity then you will love Phoenix!
That's ONLY in the winter does it get chilly in the evening. During the summer it's still 100 degrees past 10pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona