Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 377,271 times

Advertisements

After the recent flooding here in the Midwest, I am considering moving to Arizona where there is much less rain and no snow. I have always known that Arizona is the hottest state in the United States in terms of temperatures, but then found out that Illinois is 2-4 times more humid in the summers than Arizona. Despite the fact that Arizona heat is "dry", I always hear people complain that it's so hot, they can't breathe. I know that the opinion of what AZ heat feels like can vary significantly from person to person, but how does it really feel like? Here in Illinois, we sometimes get temperatures that are just as bad...except there's much more humidity. People I know who have visited Arizona say that the lack of humidity makes you not sweat, which would probably feel more comfortable to me!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Let's me be up front - during the summer, particularily July and August, it gets HOT, dang hot! You will have 20 to 30 days in a row with highs @ 110 or above. AND, in August, we usually have our monsoons - which adds some lovely humidity to the mix.The trick is, how to HANDLE the heat.

First, you plan your outdoor activities around the heat - shopping in the morning - not the heat of the day. Same with other outdoor activities.

Next, you will drink a LOT of water - not beer - not softdrinks - WATER. AND, if you are outside and stop sweating - you are in danger of heat stroke - WATER.

Then, dress accordingly - no nylons or silks. Cotton is best. AND, LONG SLEEVES during the day. It will actually keep you cooler. And, if outside during the day, give serious consideration to wearing a hat. Good sunglasses too.

The first summer tends to be the "worst" one - but, if you follow some simple things - it really is not that bad.

Welcome.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:38 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times
Set your oven to 110 and step in for a while -- that's what it feels like! It's HOT!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:43 PM

64 posts, read 377,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's me be up front - during the summer, particularily July and August, it gets HOT, dang hot! You will have 20 to 30 days in a row with highs @ 110 or above. AND, in August, we usually have our monsoons - which adds some lovely humidity to the mix.The trick is, how to HANDLE the heat.

First, you plan your outdoor activities around the heat - shopping in the morning - not the heat of the day. Same with other outdoor activities.

Next, you will drink a LOT of water - not beer - not softdrinks - WATER. AND, if you are outside and stop sweating - you are in danger of heat stroke - WATER.

Then, dress accordingly - no nylons or silks. Cotton is best. AND, LONG SLEEVES during the day. It will actually keep you cooler. And, if outside during the day, give serious consideration to wearing a hat. Good sunglasses too.

The first summer tends to be the "worst" one - but, if you follow some simple things - it really is not that bad.

Welcome.
I don't drink alcohol anyways, so at least you don't have to worry about that

Does Gatorade or Propel count as "water"?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Set your oven to 110 and step in for a while -- that's what it feels like! It's HOT!!!
That or your hair dryer set on high heat blowing in your face - both can give you a good idea!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint_Noname View Post
I don't drink alcohol anyways, so at least you don't have to worry about that

Does Gatorade or Propel count as "water"?
Yes - they will work - they have the electrolites to help as well. But, you may find that water will be your mainstay. But - you are on the right track!!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:50 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:

Welcome.
The average number of days above 110 is 10 for the whole summer - June, July, August and September. June has the hottest temps right at the end and then temps drop when the moisture arrives and it stays around 105-108 with an occasional 110+ through July and August. Maybe that is splitting hairs, but it is a (frequent) exaggeration that much of the summer is over 110 . And 115 is rare.

You do sweat here. It just evaporates quickly and you stay relatively dry. It's really not the heat that gets to you, it's the length of the hot season. I think it is very much the same experience as a long midwestern winter in terms of one's frustrations. The big advantage here is that you can drive for 2-4 hours and leave the heat behind and enter a cool, green world. Of course, you gotta come back to work eventually. Ugh.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The average number of days above 110 is 10 for the whole summer - June, July, August and September. June has the hottest temps right at the end and then temps drop when the moisture arrives and it stays around 105-108 with an occasional 110+ through July and August. Maybe that is splitting hairs, but it is a (frequent) exaggeration that much of the summer is over 110 . And 115 is rare.
As a person, born and raised and a lifelong resident (60 years), we will have many stretches of 110 and above. 115 is not that uncommone.

Now - 118 and above is rare - but, it happens just about every summer

Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
As a person, born and raised and a lifelong resident (60 years), we will have many stretches of 110 and above. 115 is not that uncommone.

Now - 118 and above is rare - but, it happens just about every summer
Look it up. I've posted NOAA statistics on the forum on several occasions.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Look it up. I've posted NOAA statistics on the forum on several occasions.
And, what you are forgetting is, those numbers are from the Airport - that frequently, the numbers, from various reporting stations, around the valley are higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona