Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
\

Having been to your part of the country, I can tell you that this heat will make you laugh. Yeah its hot, but so what. Indiana is just miserable beyond miserable. And then its freaken cold. Enjoy your time here. You just found Paridise.
HA!

Damn, if AZ is "parAdise", what is SoCal or Hawaii? AZ's spring and fall are paradise (I guess), winter and summer? Hardly. AZ is too hot for too long, and way to incredibly dry to ever be paradise. Oh, and lack of water, horribly painful flora and fauna, and lack of grass also tend to point more towards HELL than paradise. lol

Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 AM

435 posts, read 1,575,545 times
Quote:
At least in Phoenix one doesn't have to deal with each and EVERY extreme weather phenomena there is....Denver has EVERY EXTREME weather possible. Thanks, but no thanks...
I'm not saying that Denver doesn't have extremes, it does- but basically, the only places you won't find weather extremes in the U.S. are SoCal or Hawaii. Everywhere else has 'em, and I'll take Denver's over Phoenix's, having lived both places. The summer thunderstorms you mention in Denver are at least somewhat predictable- they happen every day, about 4pm or so. They cool it off, clear up, then generally it's nice and sunny again. I and many others who lived there actually liked and looked forward to those storms- they were regular as clockwork, like a cold shower coming through during the hottest time of the day- actually quite beautiful and refreshing, and very fleeting. Rarely do you get all day rains, for days on end, the way you do in the midwest. As long as you have the foresight to not be outside or driving when they happen, generally you're fine. I never had any hail damage to my car when I lived there. And the tornadoes- unless you're out on the eastern plains or the ouskirts of Aurora, usually that's never an issue. Downtown and the western 'burbs never have a problem with them. But beyond the weather, the real bottom line to me is that I happen think Denver's just a much nicer city all around. That's my biggest priority, weather notwithstanding.

Quote:
...Indiana is just miserable beyond miserable. And then its freaken cold.
Now that I'll absolutely agree with. That part of the country has, unequivocally, the worst weather anywhere. I did live for a short time in St. Louis, which has similar weather to southern Ill. and southern Ind. The weather in St. Louis was pretty awful most of the time- brutally hot and humid summers, & cold, wet, dreary winters. I did like the city of St. Louis, though, I'd have stayed there if not for a job transfer. The people there are then absolute friendliest, nicest in the world. Talk about a place with a real community feeling, it's hard to beat St. Louis in that category.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Now that I'll absolutely agree with. That part of the country has, unequivocally, the worst weather anywhere. I did live for a short time in St. Louis, which has similar weather to southern Ill. and southern Ind. The weather in St. Louis was pretty awful most of the time- brutally hot and humid summers, & cold, wet, dreary winters. I did like the city of St. Louis, though, I'd have stayed there if not for a job transfer. The people there are then absolute friendliest, nicest in the world. Talk about a place with a real community feeling, it's hard to beat St. Louis in that category.
I normally agree with you, but Ill disagree here. Indianas summer are not the worst in the nation, not even close! Theyre not the cloudiest, snowiest or coldest. Agreed? Good. And while their winters can be bad at times, theyre not the worst in the nation either. Once again, not even close. No place is perfect, I think we can all agree. But calling Indiana's weather the worst is very arguable. Id take an Indiana summer ANYDAY over a Arizona or Florida summer, and a Indiana winter ANYDAY over a Minnesota or Vermont winter. Indiana's weather is not extreme compared to many areas of the country.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
HA!

Damn, if AZ is "parAdise", what is SoCal or Hawaii? AZ's spring and fall are paradise (I guess), winter and summer? Hardly. AZ is too hot for too long, and way to incredibly dry to ever be paradise. Oh, and lack of water, horribly painful flora and fauna, and lack of grass also tend to point more towards HELL than paradise. lol
I was just in Socal, saw Grafitti everywhere, it was very run down. The sky is a mirky blue, the 101 freeway is NEVER fun except sunday morning. The beaches are full of trash. Let me remind you that AZ has a large area covered by pine/juniper/pondarosa forests. Phoenix is hot. The rest of the state is not so severe. I Hate mowing a lawn. I hate my grass allergies. I love the "painfull" desert plants. I love the DEEP blue sky every morning.

I love hiking the desert trails.

Gas is much cheaper here than Cali.

As far as Hawaii, I visited there in the navy. It was nice for sure. I have no way of knowing if its a great place to live. back then I had been on a ship with 5000 men for quite a while, and I was looking for something else to solve some short term problems, that and cold beer.

Cali: Cant afford a modest home there.

I spent a little time in Texas. Because of that horrible experience,I do find this a complete paradise. (as long as my AC remains strong in the summer.

If you need to gain some perspective, you may want to visit Houston, or even that Texas Paradise (to everyone but me) Austin.

When you put the WEST to the TEST, It the absolute BEST.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I was just in Socal, saw Grafitti everywhere, it was very run down. The sky is a mirky blue, the 101 freeway is NEVER fun except sunday morning. The beaches are full of trash. Let me remind you that AZ has a large area covered by pine/juniper/pondarosa forests. Phoenix is hot. The rest of the state is not so severe
Same can be said for CA. Youre only looking at L.A. Northern CA is full of pine, etc, too. And there are tons of places in PHX that are full of graffitti and trash. But if youre picking weather here (as is the thread topic), L.A. is the victor by a large margin, I think all would agree.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 PM

862 posts, read 2,620,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
I never had any hail damage to my car when I lived there. And the tornadoes- unless you're out on the eastern plains or the ouskirts of Aurora, usually that's never an issue. Downtown and the western 'burbs never have a problem with them. But beyond the weather, the real bottom line to me is that I happen think Denver's just a much nicer city all around. That's my biggest priority, weather notwithstanding.
Here is typical Denver weather:
CLICK HERE

No hail in Denver? The $600+ million dollar damage from the ONE hail storm was in central Denver. Here is some video proof of hail last year in DOWNTOWN Denver....
CLICK HERE

As far as tornadoes, on June 15, 1988, a group of tornadoes passed over the metro area. Two areas of the city suffered heavy damage due to tornado touch downs. On June 2, 1993, an F-1 rated tornado struck central Denver. According to the National Weather Service, there have been 12 tornado touch downs in central Denver since 1950.

Once you go east, south & north of Denver, into the suburbs, those numbers jump tremendously. 148 TORNADO'S in Adams County since 1950 & 234 TORNADO'S in Weld County since 1950. Over 1,731 tornadoes have hit Colorado since 1950.

My point is this, ONE EXTREME (Heat) is what you get in Phoenix. In Denver, you get EVERY EXTREME WEATHER PHENOMENA OUT THERE. One extreme is enough, in Denver you deal with 7+ extremes.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Just a few clarifications on the Tucson 'monsoon'.

There's an old saying that goes 'Tucson gets 11 inches a year and you should be here the day it comes.'

Most of the moonsoon rainfall accumulation occurs within a very short period of time. Last year most of it was confined to late July. Early to mid July and all of August was pretty much a bust.

The chances of getting measurable precipitation (in town) during the 8 - 10 week season is maybe once a week. It's no wonder the natives consider it a monsoon when hardly a drop can fall for months.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 PM

687 posts, read 2,031,956 times
Quote:
HA!

Can't people have their own opinions about Arizona, Tucson, or whatever? I watch you jump on peoples comments about sports, weather, crime, bugs, flora or fauna and whatnot with vengeance at times. It really bums me out because honestly...there is a place out there for everyone. Not everyone is going to like the same things in life as you are. And I keep that in mind when posting responses to others here.

I'm waiting to experience an Arizona summer and am looking forward to it. I realize that others things it's just too darn hot for them. I've lived in Michigan most of my life, with a brief stint in Indiana as well. I excited to see what a difference in a midwest summer vs. a southeast summer has to offer. Same for a winter as well. It may be your hell, but please realize that is in fact paradise to many others.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Same can be said for CA. Youre only looking at L.A. Northern CA is full of pine, etc, too. And there are tons of places in PHX that are full of graffitti and trash. But if youre picking weather here (as is the thread topic), L.A. is the victor by a large margin, I think all would agree.
was in LA for 3 days, very cloudy and cold. Nights were chilly. Maybe Im in the minority, but I really like the heat.

My point, I guess was not to say that California sucked, but lets be honest, when we talk about california, most of us are writting about SOCAL. The Middle is much like the plains, and Northern Cali is filled with beautiful pine forests, especially shasta.
If you cannot afford to live in paradise, I guess I see no reason in falling in love with it. I for one can not justify 500k 1200 sq ft homes.

Weeds have a harder time growing here too in this wonderfull heat which you hate. I have lived in so cal, nocal, Oregon, washington, texas, colorado, and AZ. This is the best so far.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Can't people have their own opinions about Arizona, Tucson, or whatever?
They sure can. I was responding to someone elses opinion that Indiana's weather is "miserable beyond miserable" and I felt compelled to offer my opinion. I Guess you missed their little "opinion"? Are you gonna bash them for having theirs, too? Probably not because you probably share the same opinion as them, am I right? Gotcha!!!

Also, AZ is in the southWEST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona