Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
I'm the same way. Snow & ice get REALLY OLD, REALLY FAST, the first time for me when it snowed and it was 10F outside, I thought to myself, man this REALLY stinks. The cold bites harder as you get older.

I had snowdrifts that turned into ice and I needed a 4x4 just to get out of my driveway. The drive was north facing and it would never melt. I almost crashed when I hit a patch of ice on the road. I-70 was shut down SO MANY times that people were stranded for days due to the snow and ice.

Back in OCTOBER of 1997, Denver got TWO FEET of snow from a storm. Back in 1982 they had the blizzard in December that SHUTDOWN Denver for ONE WHOLE WEEK. The mayor had to resign after that storm. In December 2006, the airport was closed for over 2+ days & the streets were empty and long stretches of highway were impassable for days. THAT IS DENVER WEATHER FOR YOU!
You know what? I lived in Denver during March of 2003, when the so-called "storm of the century" hit. Some parts of the western 'burbs and foothills, including Lakewood and Golden, got as much as 6 feet of snow in a 48-hour period. Downtown had close to 40 inches in that same time frame. You want to know the honest truth? The blizzard ended, and the sun came out almost immediately thereafter. A week later, in the central part of the city where I lived, I am not kidding- it was all gone. At which point, I jumped in my car, headed to summit county, and skied in some of the sweetest, deepest champagne powder under bright blue skies you can imagine.

For comparison's sake, if that same scenario happened in Detroit, that snow would have been on the ground until May. Oh yeah, and you can't ski there, either. One person's pain is another's pleasure. Give me snow and mountains any day of the week over a 6-month sentence in an air conditioned cave.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
You know what? I lived in Denver during March of 2003, when the so-called "storm of the century" hit. Some parts of the western 'burbs and foothills, including Lakewood and Golden, got as much as 6 feet of snow in a 48-hour period. Downtown had close to 40 inches in that same time frame. You want to know the honest truth? The blizzard ended, and the sun came out almost immediately thereafter. A week later, in the central part of the city where I lived, I am not kidding- it was all gone. At which point, I jumped in my car, headed to summit county, and skied in some of the sweetest, deepest champagne powder under bright blue skies you can imagine.

For comparison's sake, if that same scenario happened in Detroit, that snow would have been on the ground until May. Oh yeah, and you can't ski there, either. One person's pain is another's pleasure. Give me snow and mountains any day of the week over a 6-month sentence in an air conditioned cave.
but the point we are trying to make is that if it happens in phoenix, we know the [SIZE=2]Apocalypse is upon us. We are not trying to prove that Denver is beter than Detroit.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post

Another point, when its 120 degrees out, I can go to the mountains too, Colorado isnt the only place with mountains you know. You get to get stuck on I70 for hours, maybe days. I think our fortune is better. Hell, I can even go to Colorado if I want to. Living in Colorado, Can you take off for Phoenix in a blizzard?...I think not

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Another point, when its 120 degrees out, I can go to the mountains too, Colorado isnt the only place with mountains you know. You get to get stuck on I70 for hours, maybe days. I think our fortune is better. Hell, I can even go to Colorado if I want to. Living in Colorado, Can you take off for Phoenix in a blizzard?...I think not
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
but the point we are trying to make is that if it happens in phoenix, we know the Apocalypse is upon us. We are not trying to prove that Denver is beter than Detroit.
I am not arguing the point that Denver is better in the winter than Chicago. Experiencing both, I believe Chicago is more gloomy in the winter, lacks the sunshine and it stays cold for a long time.

Unfortunately, Denver has some insane weather. I can drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff in 2 hours and the temps can go from 110F in Phoenix to the 80F in Flagstaff.

In Colorado you can drive 2 hours and go from a blizzard to the same blizzard. You CAN'T ESCAPE the cold and winter in Colorado.

The forecast for Denver has already changed THREE TIMES in the past two days. They 1st forecast sunny and 70F for Friday, then they forecast 40F and snow, now they are back to 60F and sunny. It can snow in May. The temps can go from 80F to 30F in 1 day and turn into a blizzard.

EVERYONE I talked to in Denver would state the same thing. WINDY and CRAZY The forecast are never accurate and change by the day.

Thanks but no thanks....

Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
If you don't mind an oven, no.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
I enjoy the dry, hot weather. However, I do start to get a little worn down by it towards the end of Summer. May and June are my favorite months, July and August can be interesting when we get the big storms. September is nice when the air starts to dry out. October is when I'm usually saying, "Okay, that's enough."
One thing to consider. A lot of people like to refer to the high temperatures as if it's over 100 degrees 24 hours a day. Those high temperatures are during the afternoon and it's actually quite pleasant in the mornings and evenings.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
How do you like driving in this?
Gee, that looks almost as much fun as driving into this:
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=38&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo _id=13030 (broken link)

Photo credit: Google Image Result for http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=38&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo _id=13030

Old 04-24-2008, 08:51 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Wink You read my mind, Steve-O

When I first looked at LBear's photo I thought it was an Arizona dust storm.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

The view from my home. I prefer this over the snow covered roads. Although, during with winter, the top of the mountain gets some snow on it - really pretty

Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Greatday -

Very nice.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona