Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 08:13 AM

932 posts, read 1,963,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Summers last I believe, we don't usually get much rain in fall do we? I don't seem to remember any real storms in the fall. It just start getting really dry.
Ehhh... it just happens when we do get rain in the fall. November gets much more rain than September and October. Fall really isn't the time of year when we get those long and steady rains or those quick and short downpours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Maybe the welcome of Fall, and if so, it was a good welcoming. Wish we were growing apples also, but we just have an orange tree, 2 tangelo trees, and a lemon tree. The oranges and tangelos are usually just about ripe about now give or take a month but due to either those storms in January or the summer monsoon we're producing only about half as much.
Well, I guess it's still supposed to be in the mid 90s around here so still feels like summer to me! It was really nice yesterday and I actually got out and mowed my lawn. Pulled up most of my garden last week but the tomatoes are still going on. The apples are nearly ALL picked...thank goodness. I'd love to have an orange or tangelo tree! Lucky you!!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, I guess it's still supposed to be in the mid 90s around here so still feels like summer to me! It was really nice yesterday and I actually got out and mowed my lawn. Pulled up most of my garden last week but the tomatoes are still going on. The apples are nearly ALL picked...thank goodness. I'd love to have an orange or tangelo tree! Lucky you!!
The last strech of 100s here, finally!!! We don't have a garden but I know of other people's gardens who are doing pretty good right now. When the orange and tangelos are ripe, it takes an hour or so to get the best of the fruit off. Then we put some of it in bags and give it to all of our neighbors. The lemons are massive though, and they last the longest too. Glad that your garden and apple tree is doing great.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The last strech of 100s here, finally!!! We don't have a garden but I know of other people's gardens who are doing pretty good right now. When the orange and tangelos are ripe, it takes an hour or so to get the best of the fruit off. Then we put some of it in bags and give it to all of our neighbors. The lemons are massive though, and they last the longest too. Glad that your garden and apple tree is doing great.
I'm surprised it's still over 100 in the Valley and would've thought it would be cooler by now. BUT I have to say that mid 90s sure beats 107! I don't think these temps are really 'normal' though for late Sept.. But, I could be wrong. Seems like my memory 'slips' from year to year.

I'm giving away apples now! I have peeled, cored and cut up ENOUGH! lol The carrots are still doing well too and I'm just gonna leave 'em and pull up "as needed". They winter over very well in the ground.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Finally the last day or so of 100 degree days! We're looking at thunderstorms for the next few days and temps in the high 80s and lows in the 60s for a while That 107 degree day was uncalled for, usually the hottest it gets in September is about 104. Eventually we'll be giving away oranges and tangelos soon! So do you leave that carrots in the ground until about what November? Do you leave them in when the first frost or freeze comes in?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:37 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Finally the last day or so of 100 degree days! We're looking at thunderstorms for the next few days and temps in the high 80s and lows in the 60s for a while That 107 degree day was uncalled for, usually the hottest it gets in September is about 104. Eventually we'll be giving away oranges and tangelos soon! So do you leave that carrots in the ground until about what November? Do you leave them in when the first frost or freeze comes in?
I'm confused. My oranges and tangelos are ripe by Christmas, if the weather's been nice, not long after that if it's chilly. Fruit's been gone from my trees for months.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Well that's what I meant by soon. About Christmas time, New Years Eve, so 2 months.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
We've had mid to high 90s for the last couple of weeks and I was beginning to think we were having an endless summer! It's been fantastic today...cool, thunder, lightning and rain, but not a lot. In fact it didn't rain at work all day...3 miles from home...but it did rain at home and just rained again. The sun is shining bright over in the west though.

I think it's time to add a quilt to my bed! I laid there and watched the lightning and listened to the thunder till I fell alseep last night.

I can leave my carrots in the ground all winter if I want to. It won't hurt them. I did that in No. Idaho but I had to mark where they were so I could find them under the snow! You can leave them no matter how cold it gets. The tops will die but the carrots underground will be fine. I'm still getting tomatoes, especially Romas, but the apples are finally ALL picked!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
So, is this it? Do you think it will go back to the 100's again or are we in the clear until May? I'm so excited to wear a sweater.

Although, I'm a little bummed about the swimming season ending, just got a pool in Aug.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 AM

894 posts, read 2,201,484 times
Twiggy, I think it is safe to say we are through with the 100+ weather. We will still have another week or so of 90 degree's, but no more triple digits, and I am more than content with that. If it would stay 75-80 all winter long, I wouldn't have an issue with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona