Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,939,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Man I think you got the storm that was heading for us. I was watching a lightning storm last night to the north of Gilbert where I was. But I love being woken up by a loud clap of thunder. I dispise my alarm clock and if it's near me when it goes off I've trained myself to turn it off while I'm still asleep. But thunder on the other hand, is just the greatest wake up call you can get.
Anyways tall and dark storm clouds coming into the east valley. Wind is light, dew point is at 68, and temps are just breaking 95. This better be a good one.
Nothing here last night but when I was outside work, on break, last night I was watching some spectacular lightning shows over towards...or near...Camp Verde. Big huge dark clouds and I was hoping they'd move over this way during the night. Alas, they didn't.

Today we have a 10% chance of rain...which, for here, means zip...and then 0% for the rest of the week. It's very windy up here today but it'll be fairly cool so that's okay. Just means I'll have to go out later and pick up more apples that fall off the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 AM

932 posts, read 1,967,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Nothing here last night but when I was outside work, on break, last night I was watching some spectacular lightning shows over towards...or near...Camp Verde. Big huge dark clouds and I was hoping they'd move over this way during the night. Alas, they didn't.

Today we have a 10% chance of rain...which, for here, means zip...and then 0% for the rest of the week. It's very windy up here today but it'll be fairly cool so that's okay. Just means I'll have to go out later and pick up more apples that fall off the trees.
Massive storm hit valley last night. Rained 4 different times at my house, lots of close lightning and when the major storm hit there was non-stop thunder. August 28th, 2008 anyone? Of course yesterday was August 28th, 2010. Within an hour it came from the Chandler to Apache Junction and was already gone. It was cool to see a double full arch rainbow spanning across in my neighborhood.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,950,779 times
i was told a tornado touched down in yuma friday tore up trees and left 4000 without power.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,752,975 times
We had hail Saturday, still had rain every day for weeks

Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 PM

39,128 posts, read 51,416,088 times
That might be it for the year - the end of monsoon 2010. I know the NWS keeps it going for a month, but realistically it's usually pretty much over right after Labor Day and there is no rain in sight through then unless something changes.

Good riddance! I've got a 34 degree dewpoint at my place right now and a pretty good breeze. Man that dry air feels GOOOOOD!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
i was told a tornado touched down in yuma friday tore up trees and left 4000 without power.
I wouldn't be suprised that was a pretty bad strom that hit the area. I looked at the radar and much of it was between yellow to purple. Purple being very heavy rain, a lot of lightning, and generally the deadliest part of the storm.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That might be it for the year - the end of monsoon 2010. I know the NWS keeps it going for a month, but realistically it's usually pretty much over right after Labor Day and there is no rain in sight through then unless something changes.

Good riddance! I've got a 34 degree dewpoint at my place right now and a pretty good breeze. Man that dry air feels GOOOOOD!
Well a deing hurricane is always possible. Plus this weather syatem that hit Phoenix wasn't prediced until 4-5 days before. Before then it predicted 100 degrees and partly cloudy on Saturday. Then a huge storm races through the valley, dropping several inches in some areas and the high of the day reached 89 in Mesa. Any streches long sunny weather in the monsoon season is bound to be broken up by a storm or two. In this case it was 4.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Well a deing hurricane is always possible. Plus this weather syatem that hit Phoenix wasn't prediced until 4-5 days before. Before then it predicted 100 degrees and partly cloudy on Saturday. Then a huge storm races through the valley, dropping several inches in some areas and the high of the day reached 89 in Mesa. Any streches long sunny weather in the monsoon season is bound to be broken up by a storm or two. In this case it was 4.
A remnant hurricane would not be monsoon event. The monsoon is a seasonal change in wind flow and the resulting moisture. It might well be over though we could still get rain this year from a number of sources. In the meantime it is going to get unseasonably hot again. What else is new?

It is still is a little early to call it a game for monsoon. I am just hoping it is over I guess. Many of us did not do as well as you with the rain and excitement this year and it has been an unusually hot and muggy season.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-30-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A remnant hurricane would not be monsoon event. The monsoon is a seasonal change in wind flow and the resulting moisture. It might well be over though we could still get rain this year from a number of sources. In the meantime it is going to get unseasonably hot again. What else is new?

It is still is a little early to call it a game for monsoon. I am just hoping it is over I guess. Many of us did not do as well as you with the rain and excitement this year and it has been an unusually hot and muggy season.
Well atleast during this monsoon season when it got hot and muggy it was a sign of rain. Last year it stayed hot and muggy for weeks but no rain.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Well atleast during this monsoon season when it got hot and muggy it was a sign of rain. Last year it stayed hot and muggy for weeks but no rain.
It was better than last year. I'll give you that. Last year was dreadful, this year was just disappointing. Parts of town (yours. apparently) got a few strong storms and some rain, but others did worse than usual. It did not even get going until the end of July. Much of August was nothing but scorching temps. Then it cooled down for a few days so much that it put the cap on the rain. Flagstaff, though, did have the fourth wettest monsoon ever as of about a week ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona