Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 PM

932 posts, read 1,970,576 times

Advertisements

More rain today, and lightning is dangerously close to my neighborhood. Every bolt has a day-light effect and thunder causes our windows to pulsate inwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM

156 posts, read 289,963 times
^^ Your area has been getting hit pretty hard recently. Where I am, in Tempe, we have just gotten our first substantial rain since early last month.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,526,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Monsoon is over. It ended about Labor Day. The season wind shift that defines monsoon went away. We have returned to the normal westerly steering flow. Officially it is still monsoon as they have gone to date definitions, but meteorologically this one is in the books. The storms that hit a few favored locations over the weekend were from a Pacific system approaching from the west. There was some remnant moisture from the non-soon that is caught up in the flow.

In any case, you are correct in this being perhaps the worst monsoon the west side has ever had. Looks like Yuma had a lot more rain than most of Phoenix got.
Huh, I thought monsoon season wasn't over with until the end of September.

I understood this moisture surge was enhanced by Pacific low pressure but the moisture flow itself is monsoonal.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,526,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseyjean View Post
^^ Your area has been getting hit pretty hard recently. Where I am, in Tempe, we have just gotten our first substantial rain since early last month.
The streets in northern Tempe were wet this morning.

Avondale and the west valley finally got some rain too, first time since July. I don't think the westside had any rain in August.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 AM

39,182 posts, read 51,544,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Huh, I thought monsoon season wasn't over with until the end of September.

I understood this moisture surge was enhanced by Pacific low pressure but the moisture flow itself is monsoonal.
An official date bracket is now used instead of meterological conditions, hence the end of September. But monsoon is a wind shift phenomenon not a calendar date. The seasonal wind shift ended over Labor Day weekend when the monsoon high broke down and moved east and the westerlies took over. The latest series of storms was from a low positioned off the California coast. There was no monsoonal moisture "flow" in the latest storm. The flow was from the southwest around the low and the the low progressed eastward. Typical fall, non monsoon, pattern. There was remnant moisture in Mexico as there will be for some time and another punch came from the Pacific.

It is not impossible for a monsoon flow (easterlies) to redevelop in the next couple weeks but it looks very unlikely from the long range models. This one is/was in the bag and was a very poor one from much of the valley.

Anyway, if you want to call the sprinkles we had in the west valley yesterday a monsoon storm, go ahead. The NWS will until their arbitrary date of the end of Sep. I'm just being technical about it. I'd like to return to the old days when the monsoon was defined by things like dew points and dust storms were not called "haboobs".

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-14-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 PM

932 posts, read 1,970,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseyjean View Post
I must be living in a micro-climate or something, not only did we get hammered good last night, I awoke to heavenly 68 degree temps.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 PM

532 posts, read 1,180,807 times
Well, reports said the rain would be over by tonight. I'm going to miss it It's nice and green down here in Benson! Been getting hit pretty hard every day for a week now and our temps are in the 60s.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:39 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,660,201 times
Well, if monsoon is over we can get back to dry air and 105 to 108 temps for a a while longer. I hope to get some good swimming in before fall night time temps take my water temp down. This is the perfect weather for a little sunbathing and swimming while the water is a bit cooler but it's still plenty hot outside.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 PM

532 posts, read 1,180,807 times
I think monsoons are over No rain since Thursday, and was raining everyday. Now temps are early 70s to late 60s.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,929,992 times
LOL, I thought something was wrong with our truck thermometer this morning at about 7 am when I was about home...it said 68.... Spent the rest of the morning outside and left the doors open, AC didn't come on until about noon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona