Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
FINALLY! Rain in Casa Grande tonight....10 mins...but actual puddles...first of the season for us! Of course now Im just dying dor more...
When places like Casa Grande get their first rain in late August and it is barely measurable you know that it has been one sorry monsoon season. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for more. Looks like (very) hot and dry until the monsoon goes away after Labor Day. Maybe one more shot is all we get if we are lucky. I think we are going to crack over 30 days of 110 plus this year if we haven't already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When places like Casa Grande get their first rain in late August and it is barely measurable you know that it has been one sorry monsoon season. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for more. Looks like (very) hot and dry until the monsoon goes away after Labor Day. Maybe one more shot is all we get if we are lucky. I think we are going to crack over 30 days of 110 plus this year if we haven't already.
Another non-soon of a monsoon I'm afraid.

We had some rain in July but August has been downright unbearable, no rainstorms, just hot hot hot every single day.

Oh well, maybe we will get some needed rain this winter, I hope so anyway.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Another non-soon of a monsoon I'm afraid.

We had some rain in July but August has been downright unbearable, no rainstorms, just hot hot hot every single day.

Oh well, maybe we will get some needed rain this winter, I hope so anyway.
It was awful. Even the cactus look terrible by my house. We could get some hurricane remnants in Oct/Nov.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:43 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,505 times
Maybe this is a conincidence but since 2007 I've noticed a pattern. And maybe this is just me but 07' wasn't so great, 08' was awesome, 09' was horrible, 10' was pretty darn good, and now it's been horrible 11'. Like I said, it could just be me that every other year is good and I'm predicting 12' to be good.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Maybe this is a conincidence but since 2007 I've noticed a pattern. And maybe this is just me but 07' wasn't so great, 08' was awesome, 09' was horrible, 10' was pretty darn good, and now it's been horrible 11'. Like I said, it could just be me that every other year is good and I'm predicting 12' to be good.
Lets hope! While I like heat instead of snow a rain break (heck even a drizzle) would be a most welcome sight about now.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:13 AM

Well if we can say this belongs in this log, I'd say these past two nights of rain have been great!!! I lost a palo verde tree in my front yard though, sucks....

Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
The rain tonight was awesome, although a little too short. I love how it smells when it rains. And that cool wind! It was soooo wonderful to open all my doors and let the cool in! Now, we just need a couple more cloudy days and another inch or three of rain. That would be marvelous! Can you arrange that Phxguy? And what are you doing up this late, too? (I know, cuz we nap all day in the gawdawful heat and this evening cool just feels too good to go sleep.)

Well, my Chihuahuas have both just come up to me and announced it's time to go to bed!
Ciao!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Well if we can say this belongs in this log, I'd say these past two nights of rain have been great!!! I lost a palo verde tree in my front yard though, sucks....
Where do you live?

The central and west valley areas haven't gotten anything more than a sprinkle all month, even most of the east valley has been dry.

The prediction last night was 60% chance of heavy rain, so what happened? The only thing that came out last night's storm was more dust, as if we need anymore of that.

I'd say it has been another letdown of a monsoon season except for one or two good thunderstorms in July.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Where do you live?

The central and west valley areas haven't gotten anything more than a sprinkle all month, even most of the east valley has been dry.

The prediction last night was 60% chance of heavy rain, so what happened? The only thing that came out last night's storm was more dust, as if we need anymore of that.

I'd say it has been another letdown of a monsoon season except for one or two good thunderstorms in July.
Monsoon is over. It ended about Labor Day. The season wind shift that defines monsoon went away. We have returned to the normal westerly steering flow. Officially it is still monsoon as they have gone to date definitions, but meteorologically this one is in the books. The storms that hit a few favored locations over the weekend were from a Pacific system approaching from the west. There was some remnant moisture from the non-soon that is caught up in the flow.

In any case, you are correct in this being perhaps the worst monsoon the west side has ever had. Looks like Yuma had a lot more rain than most of Phoenix got.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
The rain tonight was awesome, although a little too short. I love how it smells when it rains. And that cool wind! It was soooo wonderful to open all my doors and let the cool in! Now, we just need a couple more cloudy days and another inch or three of rain. That would be marvelous! Can you arrange that Phxguy? And what are you doing up this late, too? (I know, cuz we nap all day in the gawdawful heat and this evening cool just feels too good to go sleep.)

Well, my Chihuahuas have both just come up to me and announced it's time to go to bed!
Ciao!
Of course I can arrange for it, let me just get out my magical ball and summon the rain. . I posted it that late because one there were two possible tornados that touched down, one being close to my area, and the hail was pretty bad. Also had I gone home earlier, a tree in my front yard would've crushed my car. Whew... I'm lucky.

Quote:
Where do you live?

I live in East Mesa. And this weekend has dropped probably more rain than the entire non-soon season (maybe even the year) althogether. While driving on one side of Ellsworth road, every tree is either fallen or has broken limbs. Even part of the traffic light at Ellsworth and Brown is bent out shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona