Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
So, from all of our figures - the number is still between 7-9 for ABQ, which is far from the random anecdotal stats posted by aggiewalk and desertsun.
Actually, I count 11 but when you are talking about random murders, none except the most recent of Boykin and King, which has not yet been solved. It does seem they knew the person who shot them, and my money is on gang affiliation and/or drugs.

Carlos Mendiola - left a bar with his murderer

Brito - mudered by her high on meth boyfriend who was suspected of murdering someone else when he was only 17.

Torres and Gray - killed by her wacko ex.

Medina couple - drug dealers, killed by a dissatisfied customer

Hector Torres - knew his assailant

Flores and Nunez - auto accident, random

Joel Leyba - crazy Wiccan knife lady, known to him

So, if you don't join a gang, deal drugs, use drugs, arrange to meet a Wiccan for some bizaare ritual, etc.....you are probably safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Add to that list

David and Connie Maldonado
Thanks, will add to the list...

By my count, eleven possible murder victims in the city of Albuquerque, NM for 2010, as of April 27, 2010:
Carlos Mendiola
Cedric Boykins
Elizabeth Brito
Hector Torres
Janice Flores *
Joel Leyba
Kimberly Aragon-Nunez *
Stefania Gray
Tevion King
David Maldonado
Connie Maldonado
* (possible murder victim, suspect may be charged with felony murder in vehicle crash)

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,414 times
If I'm not mistaken, Flores and Aragon-Nunez are a result of vehicular homicide, which is separate from the murder rate.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM

whoops, I see you mentioned this ^

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
So, from all of our figures - the number is still between 7-9 for ABQ, which is far from the random anecdotal stats posted by aggiewalk and desertsun.

^I could not find any reports for the north valley and only 1 case in the south valley this year (from searching news sites). Unless you can find a link desertsun....

trust me, the murder count is around 25, call APD if you dont believe me, APD's website also says that in 2008 there were 0 homicides, I wouldnt trust their online stats too much.

I emailed the city to see if I could get the actual numbers but Im still waiting for a response.

and vehicular homicides are usually counted into the murder counts in almost all cities, at least that I know of, so its no different in ABQ, plus I didnt even count those into my stats.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM

110 posts, read 366,274 times
I haven't read all the responses and usually don't because half the time it's by people who haven't lived here long enough to know Albuquerque at all, except by reputation.

I've lived here since 1954. Now why it's told that our crime rate is worse than anywhere else, I'll never understand. I lived a couple years in Phoenix and heard more crime news there than I ever did here. I'm still rocking over how many kids drown in pools in Phoenix every year. It's just amazing.

There are areas of the city territory that are notorious for gang activity and drugs. If you ride a bus down Central, anywhere near down town and you're bound to witness a drug deal. Tell me that's not happening everywhere.

I've driven an 18 wheeler all over this country for many years and came to the conclusion that NM isn't bad at all, considering traffic. Dallas tries their best to kill you, D.C. will run you down at 70 mph plus and the state of Washington is amazingly polite. Just a rundown on the traffic attitudes.

You're going to find crime everywhere. I've never in my life been afraid to go anywhere at any time of day in Albuquerque.

Prostitutes wander Central in the area of Wyoming, that's pretty much the middle of the east half of the city, and that sort is pretty much concentrated in that area. You don't find it at all in the far NE quadrant.

There are pockets of areas, mainly on the south side, that is referred to as the war zone. At night maybe but you never see it in the daylight.

You can't go around being afraid of particular areas. Some years ago, in one of the sweetest towns in Texas, a man walked into a cafeteria and started blowing people away. About the last thing expected there.

You hear of bank robberies in Albuquerque but guess what? 99% of the time its some guy with an empty gun and no experience at robbing banks. A total clutz. Los Angeles has more crime than we ever thought of having. The difference is tolerance and less reporting. Why? Because it happens among the blacks in the black territory or the Mexicans, in Mexican neighborhoods and they keep it to themselves. Here, we may have a black neighborhood but it's about 4 blocks wide both ways. We don't have such areas and nobody 'protecting their own'.

Your head has been filled with uninformed gossip and statistics that aren't statistics at all. My couple years in AZ taught me that one. There's more drunk driving there than NM has ever had and yet we don't hear about it. Think maybe AZ doesn't want our reputation?

The neighborhood where we lived, was almost predominately Mexican. Every Friday night, we heard (within a block) at least one person stepping outside just to empty their gun in the air. In Albuquerque, they'd never get away with something like that. It's not reported in Phoenix. Prostitutes waited for their rides, right out our front door. Never reported, no matter how many times we called the police. It's covered up, ignored, tolerated. So don't tell me about how bad Alb. is. We just don't cover up everything.

Let me tell you...you're as safe here as anywhere in the country.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM

61 posts, read 129,297 times
This thread seems to have turned into a snark-fest, but I'm going to give a serious answer.

The thing that stands out to me about ABQ crime is that it's almost always between people who know each other. Domestic violence, yes, and drug stuff, yes, and gang stuff, yes. Are you a junkie? A wife/husband beater? A gangstah? No? Then you'll be okay. There's very little random-person crime here - I never hear about muggings like I used to back East, I don't think I've even heard the WORD since moving here 14+ years ago.

There are break-ins, and car theft, the usual stuff, but I feel quite safe here, moreso than I did living in Boston. As a general rule, if you're not hanging around with psychos, or whackadoo yourself, you'll probably be fine here.

SVG

Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times
here are some numbers, APD is reporting 17 homicides, thats not including the few that happened in Bernalillo County, mainly the North and South Valley areas.Strange circumstances surround Albuquerque murders

there is another guy that posts in the city vs city forum that also has counted around 25 homicides for ABQ, he said that he has been counting also.

Last edited by desert sun; 04-30-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
here are some numbers, APD is reporting 17 homicides, thats not including the few that happened in Bernalillo County, mainly the North and South Valley areas.

there is another guy that posts in the city vs city forum that also has counted around 25 homicides for ABQ, he said that he has been counting also.
I would like to see some URL's to verify these numbers...

I have displayed the victim names for the city of Albuqurque, for this year, 2010, and no one has come up with other names, so as far as I'm concerned the count of eleven (or 9 depending on a factor) is correct.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 PM

Desertsun, if ABQ APD is "reporting" the number of murders, then they would be publicly accessible through a simple link. I'd like to see it as well.

AFAIK, Poncho's list is correct - there have been no other reported murders in the city this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque