Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM

35 posts, read 72,618 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that link. Most compiled stats are as of 2008. This helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,430 times
Default crime in albuquerque

I would like to say that crime happens anywhere in albuquerque but some areas are far worse than others. Recently a young man got stabbed on a sidewalk near a smiths rather close to my neighborhood in the far westside of albuquerque but even as horrible as that sounds it is far better than what happens in the southeast heights and southwest heights it seems like every other day on the news that some house has got broken into or a shooting or a stabbing and traffic accidents are extremley bad in these areas last night some one ran a stop sign hit a car and also ran into two teens. you should stay out of these areas most definetley and you should probably live in the far far north west side or far far northeast side of abq sure once and a while things happen like in every place but not as frequently as the se and sw areas. This should not stop you from moving here it is a great place to live ad I enjoy it so much and never plan to move outside of the north abq rio rancho area my whole life.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM

Default abq

I a not racist and I respect every race including blacks and hispanics but it is true when I say that most high crime areas in albuquerque are in the majority hispanic neighborhoods like the south valley and southwest heights and also the south east heights. the sw heights and south valley are I estimate 80 to 90 percent hispanic with the south east heights mayby 50 to 60 percent excluding the areas of high affluence like ridgecrest and nobhill which are rich majority white neighborhoods. LIke I said most neighborhoods with high racial minorities = high crime low income and higher unemployment. I live in the far westside wich is somewhat a white majority but there are also a lot of hispanics too.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Default abq

the neighborhood I live is reasonably safe even though there is mabey 25 percent hispanics. And many of them have higher incomes than the majority hispanic neighborhoods in abq.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:28 PM

35 posts, read 72,618 times
When I spoke with APD, they suggested that if crime was an issue, we should look at places in far Northwest ABQ bording Rio Rancho... or Rio Rancho itself.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

132 posts, read 291,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Such as? (I agree btw, especially with the private...but one has to weigh all factors)

Please expound...
Well, the areas surrounding the university are quite safe with good schools (Monte Vista Elementary, Jefferson MS, Highland HS). This area has seen a lot of redevelopment over the last decade and there are many new young, educated families in the area (Bandelier ES for example). Sandia HS neighborhoods are generally nice. Same for Eldorado and La Cueva. I know little about the westside as I'm not a suburbanite.

I currently live in Seattle, a place everyone assumes is a pleasant environment filled with opportunity, etc. But there is plenty of violent crime and property crime in this city...just like every city. The difference is it only makes headline news when it's truly extraordinary. It was the same when I was in Dallas and Hartford. In Albuquerque, the media loves to create big stories based on data they read off the police blotter. It definitely gets old and gives everyone the impression that it's just a matter of time. In my 20+ years in Albuquerque, only once was there a property crime...they broke into my mother's car to steal a few things she'd left in sight in the passenger seat. By my third month in Seattle, the radio was stolen from my car...

It happens everywhere folks, move to Fargo if you're really worried. Otherwise, if you keep waiting for it to happen, it probably will, even if it takes 20 years so that you can say, "see! I told you so!"

To those who suspect it's a racial thing, seriously? See: "socioeconomic issues." Heck, go back to high school...

Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
The first set of statistics by cqpress comes up several times here in the forums as they release yearly figures. Their stats you provide, out of 393 cities, they list three from New Mexico:
#72 Albuquerque
#223 Las Cruces
#306 Rio Rancho

Lower number are worse crime rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixy View Post
It's not about wanting to believe or not. If you take a look at the most recent FBI stats as per Wikipedia there are 33 cities w/ a population greater than 250,000 with a higher total violent crime rate and 42 with a lower rate. Granted stats aren't the end all, but I'm not quite sure that classifies as "up there." Guess that depends upon your definition...

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And in the 76 cities you mention, Albuquerque is #26 for Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter and #13 for Forcible rape.

Like I said before, Albuquerque is above the U.S. Average in Murders, Rapes, Robberies, Assaults, Burglaries, Thefts, Auto Thefts and Arson for the past ten consecutive years (1999 to 2008). That is my definition of a high crime rate.

But none of those numbers mean anything until you, you friend or your family member becomes one of those numbers. There are safeguards you can use in any area which might reduce your risk...

Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 AM

238 posts, read 635,081 times
Thumbs down I Put the 'Panic' In 'Hispanic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

It's unfortunate that you've given an ethnic flavor to your narrative, as if only Hispanics are criminals. This kind of enabling in families exists in every ethnic and racial group wherever you go.
Perhaps reading comprehension was not your forte. Can you point out anywhere in my post where I mentioned "Hispanic" - anywhere?

I'll even post it again for your perusal, in it's entirety:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post

Wow. Wow, wow.... WOW!!! I could not have stated this better. Marmom, you have perfectly hit the bullseye with this post.

To make this post short but sweet: "It's the culture, stupid!". The criminal entitlement culture in this town - and in much of NM - is absolutely the worst thing about this place. People think they have a right to beat their wives, join gangs, and act like a bunch of punk thugs because it is not only tolerated, it is accepted. It's as though as it's almost expected of you do become a thug, like it's some sort of pride thing or status symbol. And it's never their fault. either, but some one else's or "the system". It's pathetic.

And I was shocked to see that you wrote down the "mijito" complex, as I was going to say the exact same thing! 'Oh, mijo. You have no job, dropped out of high school, knocked up a girl, drove home drunk, sold drugs, and opened fire on a house with your Glock? Why are they picking on my jito?'
You kill some innocent bystander by doing a driveby for a gang initiation? Don't worry, cuz. You'll only get 10 months in prison and your uncle, the police officer, will give you a job when you get out.

But that's the way it is around here.
I have never seen such an incredible amount of sheer ignorance concentrated in one city in all of my life. In every other city I have lived in and visited, I have never seen it as bad as it is in Burque. And to think that this is not even the worst city in this state for crime or that criminal-entitlement attitude! There are worse places than here. And even with all those problems, Albuquerque, as you mentioned, is still not such a bad place to be.

PS - I bet I know your husband.

--BtK
At what point did I mention "Hispanic"?

Quote:

I know of plenty of druggies and criminals who are white Anglos.
Really? It's unfortunate that you've given an ethnic flavor to your narrative, as if only Anglos are criminals.

Do you know of any White Slavs, Gauls, Italians, Arabs, Egyptians, Brazilians, Celtics, Magyars, Persians, Nordics, Afrikaans, Saxons, or Albanians that are druggies and criminals too? There are MANY more races that are 'white' other than Anglos out there, INCLUDING <gasp!> Hispanics!

But I bet you knew that, right?

Quote:

And as far as raising kids, I know lots of families over the years who have raised great kids here, and of course lots of great people who grew up here without scars.
SO WHAT? There are plenty of bad apples everywhere and in every city. I know of people who were raised in Compton that turned out 'without scars'. I guess Compton has no crime as well. The point you so blatantly missed due to your political correctness was the FACT that Albuquerque suffers from high crime, low education levels, and high poverty. A very big and disproportionate amount of that comes from the families here and the ghetto culture, which pervades almost every aspect of this town.

However, if you choose to live your life with your head in the sand, you may want to take it out and smell the coffee once in a while. You may actually learn something.

By the way, how did your girl Diane Denish do this election?

Viva Susana!!!

--BtK

Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 AM

238 posts, read 635,081 times
Default Mijo Con Frijoles y Queso

Quote:

I don't think Billygoat even came close to suggesting that only Hispanics are criminals. That is quite a leap that YOU made.
Thanks, Marmon. A leap only Evil Knievel could have made.

For the record: I didn't, and he did. I can only presume Airhead63 didn't read my post. I can also deduce that he forgot that I am half Hispanic as well.

Quote:

I can't speak for Billy, but I can say that in referring to the "mijito complex" I was referring to how the pathologically enabling/criminally-minded family manifests within the local Hispanic culture - which happens to be a significant portion of New Mexico's population. Yes enablers and criminals exist within all ethnic groups. I was mainly talking about my own personal experience coming from a criminal New Mexican Hispanic family (and my husband's experience as someone who works with criminals in this state).
For the record, you are correct in your assessment. The majority of crime in this state is committed disproportionately by Hispanics, much like 99% of the crimes in the Mafia is committed by... uh, I dunno... Italians???

Quote:

As for our decision not to raise our children here...each parent has to do what they feel is best and should not be judged for doing so (not that you were judging, but I'm just making a point that NOT wanting to raise kids here does not make us bad, paranoid, weak, etc). There are real risks to living in a higher-than-average crime area, especially when you are related to a bunch of criminals. Not to mention the shockingly horrible education system here. I am not really interested in watching nearly half of my kids' peers drop out of school.

I agree 100% If you feel as if you won't be able to raise your kids here, then by all means, you must move to where you and your family can be raised - by your standards, and no one else's. You owe it to your kids (and yourself). Burque does not have the best public schools. I will say that it does have some great private schools which your kids can excel. But with the overload and a vast ratio of bad apples in the barrel that is Burque, I can see how it could be difficult to raise a family with all of the negativity that pervades our culture.

It's a damn shame this place has to be this way. It would do this native New Mexican proud if we could break this vicious cycle.

--BtK

Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 AM

202 posts, read 353,114 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear you had those experiences . The amount of theft and property crime is out of control here.
Yeah, it was a jarring experience, but as I mentioned before, I was also as enchanted with NM and ABQ as I was spurned by it....if that makes any sense.

What's strange to me are some statistics I encounter in contrast to my own experiences. For example, according to the site bestplaces, SLC and ABQ are pretty much equal in property crime and violent crime rates. However, my experiences in SLC in terms of crime are nothing like ABQ. I don't know if that's because the crime is contained within specific areas in SLC as opposed to ABQ where it kinda hits everywhere, or if someone is skewing statistics somewhere.

I would just warn anyone planning to move there that it seems that the crime rate is high and that most likely you will at some point experience the effects of that in one way or another. However, at the same time, it, to me, is a very unique place and sometimes I long to return - but maybe that just means I am insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque