Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,718,342 times

Advertisements

I see from your profile page that you are from Buffalo, NY??? Well, if you are from Buffalo, then you'll find crime in ABQ to be almost essentially the same as that in what you'd find in Buffalo (or nearly any other mid-sized-to-large US city):

There are bad pockets of crime in the city that you'll want to avoid. However, you just naturally will, and if you can't tell where they are (you'd be able to) just by observation, others will quickly steer you away from the few bad pockets. Same as Buffalo (or, say, St. Louis or Chicago or Dallas or Jacksonville or Portland or Tampa or Las Vegas, etc., etc., etc.).

Then, there are some more minor crime related issues you need to concern yourself with in the areas in and around UNM, as you'd find in any / all major college or university area in an urban setting. Here in Milwaukee, WI, one finds these crime concerns in and around the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Marquette University, both located in or near Downtown Milwaukee. I wouldn't say that the areas are particularly not safe, I would just say that you have to use common urban sense in these areas. Same would apply to colleges in urban settings US-wide. Albuquerque is a town of over 500,000 - this isn't South Bend IN.

Again, I can't adequately stress how similar crime patterns and the like are throughout any city in the United States with a population of say, oh, above 400,000 people. Overall, the masses of the metro areas are quite safe, with the exception of pockets to strictly avoid. Albuquerque is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 AM

28 posts, read 33,675 times
I'm actually going the other direction, from Abq to NY!

I grew up in Abq and hate it here. The crime is one of the reasons. It's 5 or 6 down on the list as there are other things that come up and while there's high crime it's not enough that it personally affects me frequently or anything. I have had my apartment broken into three times in different neighborhoods, none of them being the "war zone". But if you're not in the right neighborhood, crime is a common theme. We thought our neighborhood wasn't too bad, but then it all unloaded. There's a lady at one of the bus stops regularly trying to sell her food stamps for money to buy beer (she'll tell you that's what it's for, too). Her boyfriend keeps her in check. He takes her behind the bus stop to whack her a few times. There were gunshots here earlier tonight. Nothing on the news about it. This happens once a week or so. Cops are at my apartment complex at least once a month to arrest someone, and it's always a big deal with breaking down doors. They got the wrong apartment once and there were US Marshals here at our door asking for someone and coming in our apartment with guns when I've got a baby napping. I was PISSED. Not even a real apology for it.

So I have to say, the crime is kind of bad. I don't have anything to compare it to, but "it's better than murders all the time" doesn't really say much.

CrimeMapping.com - National Map There's a URL to the site our police department reports to so you can look around a bit and see which places are higher in crime.

I do also agree, though, UNM is a great school, just keep in mind that a degree doesn't mean a fantastic job here as pay is kind of low. I found a job that requires a Bachelor's in marketing plus experience, starting at $10/hr. There is a lot of college culture here that is a lot of fun. The UNM area is chock full of free concerts from the numerous local bands, lots of neat little shops and funky restaurants, etc. It's great walking area. Abq has a pretty functional city bus system. But to be honest, that area is why I want to leave for NY - I want to find somewhere that has that in more than just one neighborhood.

ETA: I'm not a druggie/seller/criminal in the least. I'm a student who enjoys sushi and collector of neat dresses from the thrift store. Wow. How cliche of me.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
If that stuff borhers you, you'er going to <3 NYC!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM

372 posts, read 712,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmedea View Post
They got the wrong apartment once and there were US Marshals here at our door asking for someone and coming in our apartment with guns when I've got a baby napping. I was PISSED. Not even a real apology for it.
Did they have a warrant?

If you think Albuquerque and it's crime is bad, just wait until you get to NY.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 AM

23 posts, read 52,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Did they have a warrant?
Irrelevant. The officers entered the wrong home.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswb View Post
Irrelevant. The officers entered the wrong home.
Only irrelevant if you don't care about your constitutional rights.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:16 PM

28 posts, read 33,675 times
1 - They had a warrant, but wouldn't listen to me that the apartment on the warrant was the one next door. Trust me, I'd have flipped if they didn't even have a warrant.

2 - Not moving to NYC. More upstate, small towns. Not like here where you look up the crime report and there are hundreds in the last couple weeks, but where there are few enough in the last 3 months that I can count them on one hand.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmedea View Post
1 - They had a warrant, but wouldn't listen to me that the apartment on the warrant was the one next door. Trust me, I'd have flipped if they didn't even have a warrant.

2 - Not moving to NYC. More upstate, small towns. Not like here where you look up the crime report and there are hundreds in the last couple weeks, but where there are few enough in the last 3 months that I can count them on one hand.
1. I would still "flip" if the address on the warrant and yours doesn't match. This is a free country, and in my opinion, a situation like that is a big problem.

2. That doesn't sound bad as long as you don't mind snow. I apologize, I made the assumption that you were taking about NYC.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM

23 posts, read 52,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Only irrelevant if you don't care about your constitutional rights.
The point of my reply was this:

It is irrelevant if they had a warrant since the warrant was not for the apartment that they invaded. In other words, they violated the poster's constitutional rights.

We agree.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswb View Post
The point of my reply was this:

It is irrelevant if they had a warrant since the warrant was not for the apartment that they invaded. In other words, they violated the poster's constitutional rights.

We agree.
It is NEVER irrelevant. If they didn't have a warrant at all, then they shouldn't be entering private property. If they had a warrant for a different apartment, then they should enter that specific apartment. If they had a warrant for the poster's apartment, then a judge obviously felt that there was probable cause to sign the warrant. As long as this is the United States of America, the issue of law enforcement forcing their way into a home and warrants will always be relevant, no matter what. You also cannot say the issue of them having a warrant is irrelevant while arguing for constitutional rights, the issue of a warrant is the central point of said rights. That being said, (is it still "said" even if it is typed?) I think that further discussion of warrants or constitutional rights should be started in a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque