Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
I stand by what I said. Other than property crime/vandalism. If you arent involved in crime yourself, you are UNLIKELY to be a crime victim.
Unlikely is a vague term.

The above is your opinion, but I do not share the same opinion.

I and many others which I know have been victims of crimes while not being involved with crimes ourselfs. Perhaps because of our age's and varied experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Just noticed the 2009 crime statistics are posted in city-data.com.

I thought it was interesting that overall crime in ABQ went down from 2008, while Santa Fe's went up. Still the overall crime rate in ABQ was a little higher than Santa Fe's, but the rate of burglaries in Santa Fe was much higher at 3043, while in ABQ it was 1202 (per 100,000). Last year's murder rate in Santa Fe was also higher (17.8 compared to 10.6 in ABQ).

Old 11-25-2010, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,430 times
Santa fe seems to have a lot of crime for its population size. There was a stabbing at the santa fe place mall and some other murders there this year the crime seems to be situated on the south side of santa fe were the majority hipsanic low income people live oppositr of the north side of sf. I have lived in the nw side of albuquerque for 18 years and all that has happened to me is my skateboard got stolen and graffiti was sprayed on the side of a concrete fence by my house that is it no burgalaries assaults hit and runs have happened to me.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 AM

11 posts, read 28,774 times
I've lived here for about 4 years and havent had any problems. I had more crime issues living out in the country by Moriarty. Sure there is a lot of crime here. But even living in the war zone for awhile I didn't have problems. Other than theft and vandalism, most of the crime victims are up to no good in the first place.

It's safe to walk any where at any time of day. It may not seem like it since some of the neighborhoods are really sketchy but it's true. It's fairly rare for violent crime around here to have an innocent victim.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM

83 posts, read 134,191 times
We are relocating to ABQ sometime early to mid 2011 and looking forward to it! We currently live in Las Vegas NV.

Heres my 2 cents. In the last few months we have had 4, that I know of home invasions. One just yesterday where a 15 yr old girl was shot to death.

Everyone they interviewed on the news was scared UNTILL the police released that it was drug related and targeted. But NOT just some random act.

Just last week a guy that thru his step dad out of the car, beat him then ran him over.. Then took his own life.

Every Place we have lived has had major types of crime. Nevada, California, Oklahoma.

YOUR NOT going to get away from it.

So we decided that no matter where you go there will always be things that are out of our control and that NM had enough for us to commit to moving there.

You can reduce your odds of being the victim. But just becuase your a good person is NOT going to protect you from that random act.

We plan on raising our son in NM and enjoying all that the state has to offer. But you bet we will do just as we do here in Vegas and mind our P's and Q's and take precaution to avoid what we can and do our part.

My wife is very excited to be moving to ABQ.. I am also excited to NOT be moving back to Oklahoma!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssincity View Post
We are relocating to ABQ sometime early to mid 2011 and looking forward to it! We currently live in Las Vegas NV.

Heres my 2 cents. In the last few months we have had 4, that I know of home invasions. One just yesterday where a 15 yr old girl was shot to death.

Everyone they interviewed on the news was scared UNTILL the police released that it was drug related and targeted. But NOT just some random act.

Just last week a guy that thru his step dad out of the car, beat him then ran him over.. Then took his own life.

Every Place we have lived has had major types of crime. Nevada, California, Oklahoma.

YOUR NOT going to get away from it.

So we decided that no matter where you go there will always be things that are out of our control and that NM had enough for us to commit to moving there.

You can reduce your odds of being the victim. But just becuase your a good person is NOT going to protect you from that random act.

We plan on raising our son in NM and enjoying all that the state has to offer. But you bet we will do just as we do here in Vegas and mind our P's and Q's and take precaution to avoid what we can and do our part.

My wife is very excited to be moving to ABQ.. I am also excited to NOT be moving back to Oklahoma!
The only thing that spokes me in ABQ is central ave. But than again I was born and raised in NYC so my input is a moot point.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,841 times
Albuquerque does have its crime. I have lived in Colo. Spgs CO now for 10 years and have hardly seen any crime. There's hardly a siren ever.

I lived in Abq. for 30 years and the sirens were audible almost every night and the news featured much more crime. Also, I had my car windows broken out and my houses broken into and other vandalism maybe 12 or 13 times in the 30 years in Abq.

That being said, I still like Abq. more than the Springs. The people are friendlier and there's more fun to be had. I don't ever worry about crime when I visit. Of course I park my car in a lighted spot if possible and I keep my eyes open. But never a worry.

Just don't be stupid. I could get mugged or murdered in Abq. probably in 1 night if I went looking for it.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 39,283 times
I'm considering moving to ABQ after I graduate in the next few months and have been following these city data threads for a while. I've "been around", having lived as an adult in Norman, OK; Seattle, WA; Austin, TX; and Waco, TX. Additionally, I've had jobs that shipped me all over the country. I think the people that are up in arms over crime in the ABQ region are a little myopic on the issue.

Every city over 250K has a problem with crime. Looking at the statistics, ABQ seems to be a little high on murder and sexual assualt. I'm assuming the murders can be attributed to "gangs". While LA, Dallas, and Baltimore have gangs, most cities under 1M have what I think of as "gangs". These consists of the same 200 people (+/- 100) that think they're tough and shoot each other. If any of these "gang" members ran up against actual gangs they would shart themselves but within their cities they can pretend to be hondos. Even in Waco (appx. 150K), you see a guy testify in a murder trial one week and stand as a defendant in a trial the next week. Luckily, these people generally stick to only shooting each other.
Regarding sexual assaults, you live in a college town. Every college town has a high rate of sexual assault. Just a fact of life. Additionally, comparitive statistics on this issue aren't always accurate considering reporting differences (in certain areas sexual assualts are often plead down to simple assualt).

The other area that I've seen people complain about is property crime. Again, colleges draw property crime like flies to poop. Here, ABQ is actually statistically much lower than several other college cities. I was the only one of my friends that didn't get my car broken into or stolen in Seattle. Most of my friends in Austin have had their cars broken into if they leave them downtown and a few home invasions (even in the really nice areas). We get weekly reports of car break ins, car jackings, rapes, suicides, etc. in Waco. You can also look to the college for at least half of ABQ's issues with DUIs, public intox, assault, and the general "scary drunk people outside my window" problems.

Yes, I'm sure their are some cultural problems and there may be some wild-west criminal mentality floating around. But, its not a war zone--its just not. And to the guy who said there is no crime in CO Springs, you have a higher incidence of sexual assault than ABQ--it just so happens they don't turn on the sirens for rapes.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
The TV show Dateline just aired an entire program on Albuquerque called "Somebody's Daughters". Referencing the murders of prostitutes from what I guess is that Central Ave area, and dumping them in the West Mesa. I don't remember hearing of this case when this story broke. I wonder if the story didn't receive nationwide airtime as much as other stories do. I would think it would have.

I think unfortunately when people think of Albuquerque now. Many think of its reputation for high crime and the reasons for it. Thats a shame its such a beautiful area in a beautiful state.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Referencing the murders of prostitutes from what I guess is that Central Ave area,
That's what it is, just a guess...

There is a lot which is still not known, and it did receive national attention periodically as new leads were developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque