Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 06:13 PM

923 posts, read 2,420,517 times

Advertisements

Look at the cities -- doesn't really jive. Pine Bluff, AK was number 1? What about Saginaw, MI at #3? Never even heard of those places! And SF NOT on the list? There are many smaller places listed -- including small suburbs of larger cities. Just don't know how they got their numbers. Not disagreeing that we don't have crime, but honestly it really doesn't seem that bad to be that high in the list -- up there with Miami. I've lived here for 35 years and have never been a crime victim -- and I've lived all over this city.

ETA: OK, I just remembered I did have my purse stolen out of my grocery shopping cart 12 years ago. Still not bad for 35 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM

238 posts, read 635,081 times
Thumbs up Fante Se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post

Here is the city ranking:

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

Santa Fe does not make the city list? Too small?

People should remember that crime statistics are notoriously bad. On the other hand, from what I can see in Santa Fe the criminal justice system is incredibly lenient particularly with people from politically connected families.

Quite frankly, I don't know why Santa Fe did not make the list. Maybe Bill Richardson and his political allies in the Roundhouse didn't want anyone to know about the Crip/Blood war that's left tens of thousands dead this year?

And I do concur that statistics - and polls - are somewhat misleading. But I can tell you that our city does suffer from a lot of crime. Even though they are not 100% accurate, every stat that comes out almost consistently show Burque as having high crime.

I will also concur with you on the lenient sentencing going on in Santa Fe. It also happens quite frequently in small towns and sparsely populated counties. One of my relatives was friends with this woman that lived in another county who was always being beaten by her husband. She would turn him in to the police, but the only problem was the Chief was related to her hubby. Kinda hard to get someone arrested when the head of the sheriff's department won't even lift a finger.

And I know for a fact that this occurs statewide, as I am sure others on this board, such as yourself, can attest to. I think she eventually left her husband and moved to another state. She used some organization that helps battered women.

And that again further proves my point about the vast amounts of crime, poverty, ignorance, and nepotism that happens in this city and state.

Sad.

--BtK

Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Quite frankly, I don't know why Santa Fe did not make the list.
Because the data you are looking at is from the FBI and they require a certain amount of data to produce the statistics.

Quote:
Variables Affecting Crime - Crime in the United States 2008 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/about/variables_affecting_crime.html - broken link)

The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, counties, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment.

Rich

Old 11-25-2009, 08:32 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,857 times
I went back and looked at CQ itself and they restricted themselves to cities of 75K+. Thus Santa Fe City would not make it. Annexation over the next couple years will add over 10,000 people and we should be able to read the bad news about Santa Fe City.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
I went back and looked at CQ itself and they restricted themselves to cities of 75K+. Thus Santa Fe City would not make it. Annexation over the next couple years will add over 10,000 people and we should be able to read the bad news about Santa Fe City.
CQ States "Source: CQ Press using reported data from the F.B.I. "Crime in the United States 2008" "

Rich

Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,857 times
"Numbers, rates and trends for total crime, violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, property crime, burglary, larceny-theft and motor vehicle theft are presented in both alphabetical and rank order for all metro areas and cities of 75,000 or more population."

CQ Press: Book: City Crime Rankings 2009, Kathleen O'Leary Morgan , Scott Morgan , Rachel Boba

Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 PM

103 posts, read 233,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
You guys are not seeing the forest for the trees.

From now on when we get one of those posts like:

Gee, I'm thinking of moving to Albuquerque because I've
alientated everyone around me in the place where I live now,
but I'm concerned about crime, we can just send them to
the #8 link and tell them it's terrible and the poster can
go on their merry way and find out about the wonderful
opportunities offered in Austin or Kalispel or something ...

heh
I was thinking along these lines, too. Despite any ratings, I'm returning the end of April. I can no longer hack it in a part of the country that just doesn't "update its kitchens at least once every 50 years."

I passed up a lot of decent opportunities in Albuquerque, so I will admit my failures to have decent employment is likely my fault, but I didn't worry about the so called crimes statistics. And, for those who are afraid of them, well that means you won't be moving to ABQ and leaving more of the area for those of us who do like it in ABQ.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 PM

103 posts, read 233,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
The 8th highest reported crime rate. Which can mean a million different things.
Agreed. But, there do need to be some changes made in the court system, which has been known to be too lenient.

The problem is also with parents today of many children - who just don't want to be involved in their childrens lives, and this is problem in many cities, not just Albuquerque.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times
I think its Belen,Los Lunas and the South Valley that give ABQ that ranking, Im not saying that I think ABQ is the 8th most dangerous metro area though but Valencia County has alot of crime, from Belen to Los Lunas to Meadow Lake and the small towns inbetween.

The news tonight said that just in the East Mountains there have been over 100 robberies since June, and that is a nice area. I think there is alot more out there than people realize, alot of people believe that if nothing has ever happend to them then there must not be much crime and then it becomes hard to believe the crime rates.

and dont most major city metro areas have more affluent and more middle class sububs, ABQ's are just small towns a little ways outside the city.

and the justice system is a joke, way too many slap on the wrists and second,third,fourth,fifth chances, but if you do plan on doing a crime, make sure you do it in New Mexico.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 AM

238 posts, read 635,081 times
Thumbs up Greetings From Meadow Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

I think its Belen,Los Lunas and the South Valley that give ABQ that ranking, Im not saying that I think ABQ is the 8th most dangerous metro area though but Valencia County has alot of crime, from Belen to Los Lunas to Meadow Lake and the small towns inbetween.

I think you are correct on that call. I believe most of the crime in Burque, and probably most of the country too, can be attributed to a few bad apples that have a high rate of recidivism, coupled with weak laws and a sorry justice system. And that's not just me talking as a lot of police have said that same thing.

Quote:

The news tonight said that just in the East Mountains there have been over 100 robberies since June, and that is a nice area. I think there is alot more out there than people realize, alot of people believe that if nothing has ever happend to them then there must not be much crime and then it becomes hard to believe the crime rates.

and dont most major city metro areas have more affluent and more middle class sububs, ABQ's are just small towns a little ways outside the city.

There is a lot more crime in Burque and NM than people recognize. When New York City is safer than the Duke City, you know you have problems. even L.A. is a safer city. That's crazy! Our community needs to wake up and address this. Just because crime doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And yes, most major cities have affluent and upper middle class suburbs. Just look at the Phoenix Metro.

Quote:

and the justice system is a joke, way too many slap on the wrists and second,third,fourth,fifth chances, but if you do plan on doing a crime, make sure you do it in New Mexico.

That's why all the gangs are moving out here. The "Memphis Mafia" relocated from Tennessee to NM. Why? No gang legislation. We are so behind the times. The people here think this is still the precious little Albuquerque from the 1950's or something. They don't really recognize that we have a crime problem, because if they did, then we would have better anti-gang laws.

--BtK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque