Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 03:53 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,066,983 times

Advertisements

Just came back from the grocery store in Cashmere. $21.99 for five dozen eggs.

The store posted a sign giving the background information on the law that passed in 2019 and its implementation in 2024.

They were VERY KIND and did not mention our elected officials by name.

I guess Americans just don't care about eggs.

I remember at Easter, having Easter egg fights with the other kids. If you cracked the other kids eggs, you got to keep his egg!!! I was great fun running around the church, with a championship "egg".

Back to the Wall Street Journal article on the price of eggs in Russia.

"After Putin pinned the egg price shock on the government.......Russia boosted egg orders from Turkey, Belarus, and Azerbaijan and removed import duties....."

"Authorities launched antitrust investigations into egg and producers.......including a poultry farm owned by Gennady Shiryaev, the EGG KING. On Dec 27, after new of the probe became public, a shooter fired at least twice on Shiryaev'e vehicle....."

Putin did not comment on the shooting. I know the Gennady is staying away from windows in high rise buildings.

Governor Inslee has done NOTHING. Not even talked about the price of eggs to the public.

The wine is Ryan Patrick Redhead Red as type this.

Don't get started on taxes on wine in Washington state!!! At least, I can import wine from Arizona, California and Idaho!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 05:05 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,167,130 times
Poultry farming is more expensive than people realize.

That's why urban chicken coops are a thing now.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:15 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,066,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Poultry farming is more expensive than people realize.

That's why urban chicken coops are a thing now.
At these egg prices, I have been asking chicken folks about the economics.

We have a 30 MPH speed limit in our neighborhood and since my chickens need to be free ranged under Washington law I am going to request the Chelan County to drop the speed limit to 20 mph. This will also help fight global climate change, so the Commissioners will probably approve it.

My NEW neighbors live in million dollar McMansions around me, but I am sure they will not mind my chickens "trespassing" onto their manicured lawns. I suspect all of them will think it is cool.

The big problem is coyote's and hawks.

Prior to the arrival of the McMansions we have had a very hard time keeping cats alive. You go through a dozen cats before you can find one that survives the coyote's.

Chickens are much dumber than cats.

Yep considering my options.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:47 PM

1,840 posts, read 821,481 times
I hate Walmart but had no choice. While there I picked up a dozen jumbo eggs for $3.50. That isn't great but not terrible. Now, the price of a house or new car or property tax, those are terrible.

Old 01-21-2024, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
At these egg prices, I have been asking chicken folks about the economics.

We have a 30 MPH speed limit in our neighborhood and since my chickens need to be free ranged under Washington law I am going to request the Chelan County to drop the speed limit to 20 mph. This will also help fight global climate change, so the Commissioners will probably approve it.

My NEW neighbors live in million dollar McMansions around me, but I am sure they will not mind my chickens "trespassing" onto their manicured lawns. I suspect all of them will think it is cool.

The big problem is coyote's and hawks.

Prior to the arrival of the McMansions we have had a very hard time keeping cats alive. You go through a dozen cats before you can find one that survives the coyote's.

Chickens are much dumber than cats.

Yep considering my options.
I’m in Sammamish, not rural with 65,000 population, and people lose their cats and small dogs to coyotes and bobcats all the time. Our neighbor’s chickens are in a 12’x12’ cyclone fenced pen, top and sides so no predators. They get let out into the yard for an hour or two in nice weather but the free range law doesn’t apply to home raised hens for your own eggs. In our city roosters are banned.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:22 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I hate Walmart but had no choice. While there I picked up a dozen jumbo eggs for $3.50. That isn't great but not terrible. Now, the price of a house or new car or property tax, those are terrible.
I'll check next time I"m at Whole Foods, but their in-house brand of eggs sells X-Large at around $3.79 or so,I think. There's one other health food store (which now has branches in the NW: Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocer) that has lower egg prices for "members". I refuse to go to Wal-mart. I'll pay an extra $.50 for eggs rather than go to Wal-Mart.

Old 01-22-2024, 12:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,095,250 times
I can afford to shop wherever I want but I am restricted with what is available in my area.
I shop at Walmart for smaller portions of packaged or can goods.
The savings on a cart kinda filled with mayonnaise, broth, cleaning/detergents and items like that can easily be $25.
They do have a bad rep for fresh items and funny looking people (mainly in urban areas).
I will say that some Walmarts are kinda ghetto but the in Sequim always feels safe and I’m not to proud to shop there.

For larger quantities of these or meats I use Costco.
For deserts and/or deli items I use Safeway. Other than that I’m not a fan. Their prices are the highest in town.
For easy shopping with an ok selection and fair pricing I use the QFC.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I can afford to shop wherever I want but I am restricted with what is available in my area.
I shop at Walmart for smaller portions of packaged or can goods.
The savings on a cart kinda filled with mayonnaise, broth, cleaning/detergents and items like that can easily be $25.
They do have a bad rep for fresh items and funny looking people (mainly in urban areas).
I will say that some Walmarts are kinda ghetto but the in Sequim always feels safe and I’m not to proud to shop there.

For larger quantities of these or meats I use Costco.
For deserts and/or deli items I use Safeway. Other than that I’m not a fan. Their prices are the highest in town.
For easy shopping with an ok selection and fair pricing I use the QFC.
My brother works at that QFC.

We will stop at that Walmart in Sequim when there too, it's actually one of the more "normal" ones, like Poulsbo. What I find odd is that there is another Supercenter in Port Angeles, they are just 12 miles apart.
We actually made Walmart visits into a kind of sport. Whenever we are in a new town and they have one we stop in if only to buy 1-2 things and see how "different" the people are there. There are a few, like Renton, WA, Redding and Yreka CA that we would not likely go back into. The nicest one we have been to is actually in Monroe, WA and it's the closest one to us after Renton so we go there every couple of months. In fact we were there last weekend and I looked at the 5 dozen box of eggs, it was $14.16.

Old 01-22-2024, 03:02 PM

I have noticed that the people differ at the Walmart in Port Angeles.
I only shop the PA Walmart or Safeway if I’m coming back from that area instead of getting off the 101 and dealing with city traffic.

Yeah I know a guy at the QFC too.
He used to be my boss when I was a kid .

Old 01-22-2024, 03:11 PM

$14.16 for five dozen eggs???
I’m sorry but I just refuse to get all worked up over that.

I’m no fan of the guy either.
I think pointing out the real BS policies and mandates that he imposed on us would be better served to get the point of dislike across to others rather than this annoyence.
It may be one of many but this is a nuthingburger as far as I’m concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington