Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 10:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Cal, of course the egg thing isn't going to break anyone on its own, but its yet another thing amongst all the new taxes, fees, and mandates that continue to come out of Olympia. With sharp increases in property taxes, the carbon tax on gas(and resulting inflation), my family is out almost $500/month more (not including that much again for medical expenses I continue to incur monitoring my bloodwork after being mandated to take poison). "The end" of things is we should have a choice, not be required to purchase $6/dozen eggs.
We take a good 2-3 weeks to use up the 2 dozen eggs from Costco so it's not a big deal financially. For us it's the property tax ($11,000) and the home insurance ($2,700) which make our small mortgage payment double. Then there is the PSE gas/Electric bill with the new "secret" increase for the CO2 tax, with our bill last month over $300. Gas is not as much impact since I only go into the office 2 days a week, and my wife retired last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 11:05 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
OK then, apples to apples.

Cage free is not mandated in Idaho. The difference between regular eggs and cage free eggs runs about $1 to $1.50 more per dozen. So in Idaho I can buy the regular eggs to save a dollar and in Washington, just across the border from me, they can only buy the cage free and pay the higher price.

And incidentally, "cage free" is not more humane. Chickens are cannibals and they peck at and injure each other. They are filthy birds and require a lot of poop cleaning to keep them healthy. Cleaning up after hundreds of birds confined to a small area of floor space has to be pretty awful and they are walking and lying in their own poop. "Cage free" is only humane if the birds have a huge area with few birds to roam in it. Commercial egg farms can not provide those conditions for chickens.

If you must have humanely raised eggs the only way to do it is to drive out into the country and find a nice little homestead farm that has 6-10 chickens and a couple of acres for them to roam free on. Ten years ago, when feed prices were a lot lower, it cost me $3 a dozen to produce eggs and feed costs have easily doubled. So expect to pay over $6 a dozen for those farm eggs from the little homestead. if it really matters to you, that's what you will do. Take the time and gasoline to drive for your eggs and pay over $6 a dozen for them. But not many people can do that since that farm only produces 6 eggs a day on a good day and no eggs per day in the winter.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-09-2024 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 01:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OK then, apples to apples.

Cage free is not mandated in Idaho. The difference between regular eggs and cage free eggs runs about $1 to $1.50 more per dozen. So in Idaho I can buy the regular eggs to save a dollar and in Washington, just across the border from me, they can only buy the cage free and pay the higher price.

And incidentally, "cage free" is not more humane. Chickens are cannibals and they peck at and injure each other. They are filthy birds and require a lot of poop cleaning to keep them healthy. Cleaning up after hundreds of birds confined to a small area of floor space has to be pretty awful and they are walking and lying in their own poop. "Cage free" is only humane if the birds have a huge area with few birds to roam in it. Commercial egg farms can not provide those conditions for chickens.

If you must have humanely raised eggs the only way to do it is to drive out into the country and find a nice little homestead farm that has 6-10 chickens and a couple of acres for them to roam free on. Ten years ago, when feed prices were a lot lower, it cost me $3 a dozen to produce eggs and feed costs have easily doubled. So expect to pay over $6 a dozen for those farm eggs from the little homestead. if it really matters to you, that's what you will do. Take the time and gasoline to drive for your eggs and pay over $6 a dozen for them. But not many people can do that since that farm only produces 6 eggs a day on a good day and no eggs per day in the winter.
You are trying to make sense in an egg throwing thread.
We can all buy our eggs where we want to be it cage, humane or whatever and pay what the vendor is asking.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Geeze, I thought this thread was just about eggs!

Yes, my property tax is mind-boggling, I don’t even want to think about it. Fortunately, I’m in PUD, so my utilities aren’t crazy.

I’ve resigned myself to long road trips to Seattle, where everyone drives like lunatics, for health care, such is rural medicine, or any medicine in the USA. Of everyone I know, only my cousin isn’t having issues with medical care, probably b/c she lives nearly next door to the Mayo Clinic

My first-ever job was doing ****work, literally, at a turkey farm, so I'm familiar with poultry care.

Let’s just all agree that parts of life sucks, but it could be worse. Now I’m going to make a omelette.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:07 AM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We take a good 2-3 weeks to use up the 2 dozen eggs from Costco so it's not a big deal financially..........................
Now I understand why nobody cares about the price of eggs!!

We go through TWENTY dozen eggs a month. It is my primary source of protein.

I understand that in the near future the eggs will be replaced by insects, but they are not available at Grocery Outlet at this time.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Take Milk to Canada, trade for eggs.

I suspect there will now be border crossing stations established for contraband eggs from OR, ID, BC. That would employ a bunch of the gas pump jockeys looking for work now that Oregon allows U-pump (in select locations, gas station owner's preference).

More nanny... a left coast curse.
A political / legal precedence gold mine for spreading irrational and profitable legislation.

And true... having been a chickenraise for 60+ yrs... Cage Free is certainly not more 'humane'.

"Hen pecking order"

Bullying is understated.

Then there is the hygiene thing

And the predators... Snakes, opossums, coons, fox, coyotes, raptors, neighbor kids.

Actual costs?
Hello $10 / dozen eggs

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-10-2024 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-10-2024, 11:40 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

I understand that in the near future the eggs will be replaced by insects, but they are not available at Grocery Outlet at this time.
Yep... for me 5 dozen eggs is a good 6+ months worth of eggs. I keep them in the fridge for a month past their sell by/best by date of the carton. It's not uncommon for us to throw out an egg or two at that point when we buy a new dozen more. i.e. we buy a dozen eggs every six to eight weeks. Not a big impact to us, but I see your point when you eat that many.

If you make homemade bread, then a few bugs for added protein might not be a bad way to go. It might make your flour go further

Old 01-10-2024, 01:04 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Take Milk to Canada, trade for eggs.

I suspect there will now be border crossing stations established for contraband eggs from OR, ID, BC. That would employ a bunch of the gas pump jockeys looking for work now that Oregon allows U-pump (in select locations, gas station owner's preference)......................
There are so many things banned in California, Oregon and Washington that I think a store selling "banned goods" at the state lines would probably do quite well!!

Put a gas station on the premises and you would make a fortune.

Years ago, when money was tighter I remember those signs as you crossed state lines.

Last chance for ???.

Lets see if you got a billboard:

Last chance for........guns, ammo, gas containers, eggs, plastic shopping bags, cheap gas and diesel, sudafed, brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben, and red dye No. 3. flavored tobacco products, 26 cosmetic chemicals, skittles candy................

Did I miss any?? Oh well, driving through WA, OR, and CA next I am sure I will find more to add to the list.

Old 01-10-2024, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
There are so many things banned in California, Oregon and Washington that I think a store selling "banned goods" at the state lines would probably do quite well!!

Put a gas station on the premises and you would make a fortune.

Years ago, when money was tighter I remember those signs as you crossed state lines.

Last chance for ???.

Lets see if you got a billboard:

Last chance for........guns, ammo, gas containers, eggs, plastic shopping bags, cheap gas and diesel, sudafed, brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben, and red dye No. 3. flavored tobacco products, 26 cosmetic chemicals, skittles candy................

Did I miss any?? Oh well, driving through WA, OR, and CA next I am sure I will find more to add to the list.
We do allow Sudafed here without a prescription, it just requires asking at the pharmacy counter and showing ID.

We will sometimes put off an expensive purchase like an iPad, KitchenAid Stand Mixer, or even large quantities of paint for one of our day trips to Portland. Saving the 10.1% tax can pay for the gas. Even for 5 dozen eggs I don't think that would pencil out.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 01-10-2024 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-10-2024, 02:21 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
Quote:

You thought that was normal? Get your cholesterol levels checked. I'd recommend beans as a cheap source of protein, but if you are still eating so many eggs then you will also need a peg for your nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington