Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 11:13 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
So you have no hope for improved treatments and greater understanding of who the virus impacts most and how? We're still learning these things.
Of course I hope we continue to improve treatments and I hope we get a vaccine but that could be many months for years from now and I’m not sure we can count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Of course I hope we continue to improve treatments and I hope we get a vaccine but that could be many months for years from now and I’m not sure we can count on it.
There has never been success with vaccine for this type of Covid, so don't get your hopes too high.
It can mutate faster than we can create and approve vaccines, but... there will eventually be some improved effective treatments and potentially temporary vaccine.

Today some immunity studies indicated wearing off before 3 months. Since this Covid is attacking blood function as well as respiratory, there are a lot of unknowns, and a bunch of people vulnerable and it spreads much more effective than previous covids. (through body fluid droplets). Doesn't appear 'summer heat' is the savior it was hoped to be (Huge spread in FL, AZ, and TX at the moment).

Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines, Hong Kong are all warm areas where Covid-19 was very effectively restrained. *and still is.

Protect your neighbor, they may need to mow your grass of feed your dog while you are in the hospital.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:02 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Personally I want to wear a mask everywhere I am in public but find myself forgetting to put it on at times. Brain memory sets us into patterns and that can’t be turned on and off all of a sudden, especially for us over 50. I would ask some to realize this and not turn this into a political issue. I guess the point here is lack of a mask is not always a defiant move. And some may not have access to masks.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:38 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Masks are awful. I don't like wearing them, they're hot and uncomfortable.... And it's not even July yet. I wear them when I have to, but I'm tired of them. I don't like living in a society with no faces. I am particularly creeped out by by politicians who are speaking with two masked faceless drones standing behind them modeling their obedience. It's like something out of a dystopian novel. It can't be good for children to grow up this way or think it's normal.
An alternative would be to wear a face shield which doesn’t have as much discomfort, I for one think the state should allow either option.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:18 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
So you have no hope for improved treatments and greater understanding of who the virus impacts most and how? We're still learning these things.

A few things that we've learned:

Covid-19 is extremely dangerous for sick people. It is also dangerous for old people. For most people, it is not deadly. (Yes, on rare occasion a young person who seemed healthy might die. These things happen, not just from coronavirus.)

Asymptomatic people do not seem to infect others.
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/...ExeIn_F22__12c
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asym...V6TZ1gtsY-jdd0 (Yes, she "took it back," but her original statement was science-based, while the retraction was policy-based.)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32513410/

Children generally do not infect others - or, for the most part, each other. Children under 10 are less likely to become infected than people over 10.
https://adc.bmj.com/content/105/7/61...e9Bh4mfoj0N3sw

The severity of the sickness seems related to the amount of the viral load.

Covid-19 is generally spread by virus particles that are in droplets. It is possible that it could become aerosolized, but I think that has only been done in a lab.

The majority of the droplets drop (ha! droplets drop) before they travel a meter.

Ordinary nose-breathing does not produce many droplets or virus particles. However, coughing, sneezing, shouting, and singing do.

Something I learned about myself after my kind neighbor sewed me a cloth mask: I cannot breathe through a mask. (Yes, I've tried other masks.) If I thought I posed any risk to anyone, I would certainly stay at home. But the science doesn't support the mask mandate.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:46 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Something to keep in mind is that there is a distinction between asymptomatic and presyptomatic. The former never develops symptoms and the likely hood of transmission is low. The latter will develop symptoms at a later point in time, and can still transmit the virus in the presymptomatic stage. To the average person both patients look exactly the same and there is no telling which one they are until they end up showing symptoms.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
What gives him the right to shutter commerce - destroy the lives folks have labored for since they were teenagers - over a virus that has only infected a few thousand people statewide?
By all means - don't wear a face mask then. Problem solved.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:14 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatFixx View Post
They locked us up which locked up the virus too. They let us out, and they let out the virus too. Across the country, they’re now testing hundreds of thousands if not more individuals every week. Of course it spiked. There is no escaping nature’s herd immunity. You can delay it, but you cannot stop it. Just sayin.

This is right. We're not going to kill it by wearing masks. We're only delaying everyone from catching it and getting over it.

The very vulnerable might hope to never catch it by wearing a mask, but only if the rest of us are powering through it, hopefully to an end where most have built up an immunity.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
This is right. We're not going to kill it by wearing masks. We're only delaying everyone from catching it and getting over it.

The very vulnerable might hope to never catch it by wearing a mask, but only if the rest of us are powering through it, hopefully to an end where most have built up an immunity.
Are you from Texas? (or Georgia?)

That is their thought process as well.

It is false.

There will not be 'herd immunity from Covid 19, nor is it likely there will be an 80% effective vaccine.

We will have to live with it, many will die (not because they are weaker than you). You may die too. As will I.

Poof gone... But it didn't have to be, nor the lost jobs, nor the high debt and failed businesses. Many countries (majority) had an effective response. USA did not, will not.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:31 PM

719 posts, read 986,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Are you from Texas? (or Georgia?)

That is their thought process as well.

It is false.

There will not be 'herd immunity from Covid 19, nor is it likely there will be an 80% effective vaccine.

We will have to live with it, many will die (not because they are weaker than you). You may die too. As will I.

Poof gone... But it didn't have to be, nor the lost jobs, nor the high debt and failed businesses. Many countries (majority) had an effective response. USA did not, will not.
Life's tough. Unfortunately, it ends the same way for everyone. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington