Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 01:27 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
The masks are hurting us. Inslee looks like a real **** face, anyone who listens to him is even dumber than him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Please explain how masks are hurting us. I really want to understand that concept.

The virus is mostly contained in water droplets. When a person sneezes or coughs, water droplets are spewed forth. If that person is infected, then virus particles will be contained in the droplets. The droplets will be stopped by the mask. This is the whole point of wearing the mask.
However, some of the virus particles will continue on through the cloth mask, because virus particles are very, very small. But good news, most of them don't go far, but stay put on the mask - unless the wearer touches the mask or sets it down somewhere.

Singing and shouting also put forth lots of virus particles, if the singer/shouter is one of the infected.

BUT
Most water droplets from normal breathing just go down to the floor/ground near the breather.
There is no evidence that asymptomatic people infect others. This makes sense, because calm, normal nose-breathing contains few virus particles, and it takes more than a few to make a person sick. It also is considered rare that someone get infected through touching surfaces. (I suspect this means there is no evidence of such transmission.)

So how can masks hurt us?

1. Assume masks do work. The virus will go away when enough people have had it. If we are all social-distancing and hiding behind masks, this will take a long time. If those who are young and healthy are allowed to be exposed to the virus, it will be over a lot sooner. So by masking everyone, we are hurting everyone - especially the more vulnerable.

2. Masks can hurt the wearer:

a. Some people have trouble breathing through masks. Oxygen level goes down. Pulse goes up.
b. Masks get dirty. Masks get wet. Wearing a wet or dirty mask is unhealthy. (I sweat. I would need multiple masks just to make it through a shopping trip.)

3. Masks can create unsanitary conditions. People touch their masks and touch other things. People set their masks down. People discard dirty masks on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 AM

306 posts, read 102,073 times
Dimslee is a pure s#!tshow. I'm not doing it.

What amazws me is how easily people gave over their lives to governmental diktats and control.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlhdtodd View Post
Dimslee is a pure s#!tshow. I'm not doing it.

What amazws me is how easily people gave over their lives to governmental diktats and control.
no the disease has taked control of our health and lives its not the flu much much worse its people like u who spread it

Old 06-24-2020, 01:04 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times
JFYI, Our food supply is in jeopardy. We'll be lucky to get Washington Cherries this year. Washington Plums, Peaches, and Nectarines are next on the list of Washington's renown fruit.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:07 PM

343 posts, read 352,822 times
29000 infected versus 610000 unemployed. I myself am beginning to wonder which is the bigger issue. Some flu bug, or peoples livelihoods.

some people say the needs of the few dont outweigh the needs of the many. People who say this of course are trying to use the statement in the context of, the seriousness of covid versus those who dont want to wear masks over personal freedom.

But the reality is. Those affected by the economic shutdown and subsequent loss of jobs, far outnumber those suffering from the virus.

what's the point of surviving the virus if there is no future left for our kids? No jobs. No freedom. Just a monarchy and crushing poverty.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:11 PM

343 posts, read 352,822 times
To be totally honest though. I'm not stressing. Sometimes I wear the mask, sometimes I don't.

It's unenforceable for several reasons.

1. Inslee can't create new misdemeanor laws. End of story.

2. In our post George Floyd world, there is no support for police anymore. they try to enforce this 'rule'; the only people they'll be hurting is themselves.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:12 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Masks are awful. I don't like wearing them, they're hot and uncomfortable.... And it's not even July yet. I wear them when I have to, but I'm tired of them. I don't like living in a society with no faces. I am particularly creeped out by by politicians who are speaking with two masked faceless drones standing behind them modeling their obedience. It's like something out of a dystopian novel. It can't be good for children to grow up this way or think it's normal.
well we have a disease killing people sad that people cannot pull together and try to not spread it because its an inconvenience.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:22 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
well we have a disease killing people sad that people cannot pull together and try to not spread it because its an inconvenience.
IMHO vulnerable people should wear masks.... that would signal that they are vulnerable so people could give them extra space.

The rest of us should probably catch it so we can begin to build some herd immunity.

We can't mask our way out of this virus, and I don't want to live this way forever.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:31 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Please explain how masks are hurting us. I really want to understand that concept.
Personally, People at work cannot hear each other in an already loud environment. It gets sweaty. It restricts oxygen making people tired and gasping for air through the mask. The masks are removed to eat etc so if its dirty it will cross contaminate. We all wear it several days in a row even though we know to wash it daily this is unenforceable. Lastly we cant build immunity.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
IMHO vulnerable people should wear masks.... that would signal that they are vulnerable so people could give them extra space.

The rest of us should probably catch it so we can begin to build some herd immunity.

We can't mask our way out of this virus, and I don't want to live this way forever.
So you have no hope for improved treatments and greater understanding of who the virus impacts most and how? We're still learning these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington