Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 06:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The cowboy era is over, except as a highly romanticized memory. Note I didn’t say cowboys are gone outright, but “the lifestyle” is not even close to being mainstream now.

Combining the need for apartment life and senior amenities with the cowboy lifestyle just does not compute. There’s no reason you can’t live in an apartment and wear your rodeo getup, though. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, cares whether you dress like that, except in big cities. Why do YOU care so much about what they think is normal clothing?

No western place is “safe” now. The drugs and crime occur in urban, suburban, AND rural areas. Think being out in the sticks is safe? You need to see the meth shacks tucked all over the countryside.
Wonderful.....

Cowgirl is a state of mind. Cats and not horses but boots all year long, a home like Yosemite Sam's in "Fair Hair Hare", stove top cowboy coffee, AWD/4 wheel drive vehicles, septic tanks, well water, buck knifes in the jeans pocket or on the belt and the like.

One thing I am not too crazy about, though, is those who come to country and insist to bring all the conveniences of the city with them. That brings more people, civilization, destroyed wildlife......and more taxes.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:37 AM

9,014 posts, read 20,433,414 times
Well, my "cowgirl" loves going to a county or state fair and looking at all of the livestock. Loves going to local livestock auction and watching the sale of livestock. Has her own, at 74 years old, Ruger 10/.22 rifle and 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun and know how to shoot both.

She has learned a whole lot about PRCA rodeo and loves it. Like myself, has met many World Champions and Hall of Famers.

Just what can I say, I got extremely lucky meeting her in early 2000. I placed a personal ad in local magazine and she answered it. Nobody in her family, or even mine, are interested in what we are like/love.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What happened to the equity from your "too big" Colorado home? Are you living on a ranch now or in an apartment?
That "equity" paid for our move to NC and then to Jacksonville, FL. Actually, we didn't get nearly what we thought we would out of the house.

Been living in apartments since selling the house in Oct 2007.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You are sooooooo wrong about that. Once upon a time, meth was not a thing in rural areas. It is a huge problem in them now, including around ranches and farms. I could take photos and drop map pins on their locations right near ranches, if I cared to risk getting shot. Sheesh. Aggie people have easy access to common ingredients used in making meth, in addition to the usual creeps bringing that crap from south of the border.

Show rodeo like what you describe isn’t ranch rodeo. Working ranches might not hold the former in much esteem. You know the saying, “All hat and no cattle.”

And if you were considering moving to an apartment near Rodeo Drive (what IS this fixation on “rodeo” anyway?), that makes your OP come across as trolling. Rodeo Drive for affordable senior housing, LOL.
Oh, whatever! I know the difference between ranch rodeo and PRCA rodeo. Just think about this, between last month (Jan) and this month (Feb.) there have been three major PRCA rodeos that had a total (all three) of $3 million dollars. That is just three rodeos! I'm fairly sure that ranch rodeo doesn't offer payouts like that.

The "fixation" on rodeo is because I use to be an active part of it and loved it. Wife and I are both very serious fans of it now. Follow Top 15 men and ladies in it and, with the Cowboy Channel, watch different rodeos all of the time. We know that there are fans of rodeo, but doubt there are very many really, really serious fans like we are.

Wife and I will always stick by the "none" or "very little, if any" drugs in the farming/ranching communities. Have never heard of a rodeo or ranch cowboy/cowgirl snorting coke or using meth! And, have never heard of the high school students of farms/ranches getting high from a pot bong. Taking care of livestock and crops yes. Being involved in high school rodeo, FFA and/or 4-H yes. The "big city" and "urban" kids mostly get heavy into drugs and such.

But, if you insist that drugs are found in those farm and ranch areas..........that's your thoughts/thinkings, not everyones.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:18 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, my "cowgirl" loves going to a county or state fair and looking at all of the livestock. Loves going to local livestock auction and watching the sale of livestock. Has her own, at 74 years old, Ruger 10/.22 rifle and 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun and know how to shoot both.

She has learned a whole lot about PRCA rodeo and loves it. Like myself, has met many World Champions and Hall of Famers.

Just what can I say, I got extremely lucky meeting her in early 2000. I placed a personal ad in local magazine and she answered it. Nobody in her family, or even mine, are interested in what we are like/love.
Well, that's another fantasy, read or seen, that is now lived, sort of.

That is, a book I once read the opening of had the spy, sick of the business, retire to many acres in the West Virginia hills with a pair of white tigers given to him by a Sultan for services rendered. (how would be my life stops there) Animal activists broke into his land, killed the tigers and now he is back in the business.

In the flick, Deep Star Six, physician Diane Norris, played by Cindy Pickett, talks about leaving this horror and going back to her farm.

Thing that were sort of my life then, that are sort of my life now.

EDIT: Something else. Being in the country is not the time to be in minimalism. It takes a lot of infrastructure to make this a viable ranch house, in good weather and not.

Which comes down to another point or two. This ranch is insured to the boot! There is the old clause of don't sue poor people but if you own land like this, people will look at you and think you are rich and hence, one is a sueable target.

The land sellers are constantly sending me email on things up for sale. One was a 1.06 undeveloped acre for just under 2X what I paid for my ten. So to the outsider, I'm loaded.

Add to that the wildlife that runs free in my forest.....so I insure myself against the possible poacher who trespasses, steps on a rattlesnake (and they get big here), and then sues me about it.

My Indigenous Defence Forces of rattlesnakes, fire ants, scorpions, black widows....there is good and bad to them.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-19-2022 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-19-2022, 10:19 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,748,787 times
Quote:
Oh, whatever! I know the difference between ranch rodeo and PRCA rodeo. Just think about this, between last month (Jan) and this month (Feb.) there have been three major PRCA rodeos that had a total (all three) of $3 million dollars. That is just three rodeos! I'm fairly sure that ranch rodeo doesn't offer payouts like that.

The "fixation" on rodeo is because I use to be an active part of it and loved it. Wife and I are both very serious fans of it now. Follow Top 15 men and ladies in it and, with the Cowboy Channel, watch different rodeos all of the time. We know that there are fans of rodeo, but doubt there are very many really, really serious fans like we are.

Wife and I will always stick by the "none" or "very little, if any" drugs in the farming/ranching communities. Have never heard of a rodeo or ranch cowboy/cowgirl snorting coke or using meth! And, have never heard of the high school students of farms/ranches getting high from a pot bong. Taking care of livestock and crops yes. Being involved in high school rodeo, FFA and/or 4-H yes. The "big city" and "urban" kids mostly get heavy into drugs and such.

But, if you insist that drugs are found in those farm and ranch areas..........that's your thoughts/thinkings, not everyones.
Keep those rose-colored blinders on if that keeps your fantasy alive. My thoughts are based on knowing where some of the busts occurred, and those most definitely are not ALL the meth shacks, and they are near ranch/farm properties. A lot of crime occurs hidden from view, LE is underfunded and understaffed (and sometimes unmotivated), and the closets accumulate more skeletons.

What I’m telling you is reality, not wild imagination. You can hide from it but it exists. Your not hearing or knowing about it doesn’t make it false.

Go ahead and wear the hats, boots, belt buckles, etc. It is no big deal. But maybe you WANT it to be a big deal, i.e., adulation from lookers, in an age when almost any clothes get ignored.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:24 AM

18,743 posts, read 33,476,053 times
^^^
Poster lives in a ranching area with a lot of difficulties from locals towards incomers and they certainly know whereof they speak about those difficulties and such.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,748,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^^
Poster lives in a ranching area with a lot of difficulties from locals towards incomers and they certainly know whereof they speak about those difficulties and such.
The important thing concerning OP is that he probably would be considered All Hat and No Cattle. PRCA rodeo isn’t the same as cattle ranching.

If you were not born to one of the old families, you’re an outsider. People who lived here more than 20, 30 years told me they’re considered outsiders. Many “outsiders” don’t care about that and have no desire to be “one of them.” But OP sure sounds like he wants to be one.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:39 AM

6,367 posts, read 7,812,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Cheyenne and Pendleton are huge rodeo locations. Rapid City is pretty nice as well.
Always liked Pendleton's location. Somewhat close to a larger city, (Tri-cities), but far enough away to not be within its sphere-of-influence.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-19-2022, 10:40 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,795,425 times
Quote:
And, have never heard of the high school students of farms/ranches getting high from a pot bong. Taking care of livestock and crops yes. Being involved in high school rodeo, FFA and/or 4-H yes. The "big city" and "urban" kids mostly get heavy into drugs and such.

Isn't marijuana legal for recreational use in your state? You don't think these kids ever go to parties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement