Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:13 PM

9,016 posts, read 20,433,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Maybe you two could be ranch hands and live on actual acreage doing some stuff for room and board. Stranger things have happened and it might be the perfect solution for you, as your lifestyle and interests are very specific.
Was going to try that years ago, before even meeting my wife. Talked to a ranch owner and he told me (very firmly) "sorry, but you don't have any experience and I don't do OJT". I completely understood.

My first horse, I took care of on a friends horse property, where I rented a room from her. My second one, I kept at a stable and they fed/watered and cleaned his stall. All I had to do was exercise him and sometimes head to a rodeo or jackpot roping arena on a weekend there was no rodeo.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 684,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Was going to try that years ago, before even meeting my wife. Talked to a ranch owner and he told me (very firmly) "sorry, but you don't have any experience and I don't do OJT". I completely understood.

My first horse, I took care of on a friends horse property, where I rented a room from her. My second one, I kept at a stable and they fed/watered and cleaned his stall. All I had to do was exercise him and sometimes head to a rodeo or jackpot roping arena on a weekend there was no rodeo.
You might put some feelers out there - you could be surprised what might pop up.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:46 PM

8,176 posts, read 8,404,595 times
Lots of great place for you in Texas. Weatherford or Granbury come to mind. But San Antonio or Fort Worth would also work very well. Midland and Amarillo, too! Look into Fredericksburg as well!

Old 02-21-2022, 07:48 PM

8,176 posts, read 8,404,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, and get ready for this...........we eat CBD Gummies! Great for helping us sleep and some arthritis pain.
About 30% of the people in my 55+ community use CBD. You might also think about Nevada.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Lots of great place for you in Texas. Weatherford or Granbury come to mind. But San Antonio or Fort Worth would also work very well. Midland and Amarillo, too! Look into Fredericksburg as well!
I'm pretty sure I've already posted this, but, the Queen says "no way" for a Texas move, so Texas is out. And, from watching rodeos, in both San Antonio and Ft. Worth, it appears that the only time they are Western is when the rodeo is going on. Any Western type stuff is for tourism, not for general public who lives there.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
You might put some feelers out there - you could be surprised what might pop up.
Well, at our age, very seriously doubt any rancher would even give "us" a thought about working for them. And, I wouldn't be surprised at all with answers of "sorry, no", on feelers. Heck, if I was a rancher, I sure wouldn't hire someone our age, with no experience, to work a ranch. Absolutely not!

Old 02-22-2022, 07:58 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,795,425 times
It seems like you have made some unwise financial decisions in your life, and are now paying the price by being unable to find safe, affordable senior housing. If I were you I would focus on generating some sources of supplemental income and putting as much away as possible. I'm no financial guru...maybe others can chime in on how you can start bailing out your sinking ship.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It seems like you have made some unwise financial decisions in your life, and are now paying the price by being unable to find safe, affordable senior housing. If I were you I would focus on generating some sources of supplemental income and putting as much away as possible. I'm no financial guru...maybe others can chime in on how you can start bailing out your sinking ship.
Well, first, my income really never called for "saving". My highest income came at age 52, when I was making $14 per hour. Unless working for a big/major company, Shipping/Receiving/Warehouse/Stockroom is never a high hourly pay. Before meeting my wife, I never owned furniture, rented a room, drove a very old vehicle and could barely afford my horse and its upkeep.

On the other hand, my wife went back to college/university and got her Bachelors Degree in Finance/Accounting when she was 49. She has made a much higher salary than I ever did, and still is (at home job). She definitely made the salary where she could save and invest.

Our vehicle is a 2005, with 175,000 miles on it. Our powerboat is a 1992. We've had to put considerable amount of money in both for upkeep/maintenance. Most likely, we will only have the boat one more summer, but we sure love boating and fishing. As far as our vehicle goes, most likely all we can do is replace the engine in the future and keep on using it. We absolutely love the size of our 2005 Dodge Durango SLT!

But, even though there are many Seniors that get both SS and a Pension, there are those, like us, that only get SS. Fortunately, right now, wife's temp job, working from home, is helping us. But, that is only a temp job and can end at any time.

There are reasons, and many of those reasons concern a very nice Pension, that Seniors can afford Senior housing.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,795,425 times
So your wife never saved anything either? Why did your income go down at age 52? That's prime earning years for most.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:39 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,518,131 times
The first thing is to realize that no one place is likely to be "perfect" for all of any of our desires.

The rodeo thing I think kinda limits you to the south western/western areas, but we're not rodeo afficianados. What televised rodeos that appear up here in the great white northeast seem to be bull riding from Texas.

Have you looked at Texas? Of late, even Texas has been exposed to winters.

As far as "country but not city", your best bet might be to look at the outskirts of a small-medium sized city, one that has a lot of the other amenities you might want/expect, but not with 130+ floor skyscrapers.

We believe we've chosen a medium city in the warmer southern climate. Property in that city is cheaper than just outside, And we are not opposed to that.

Currently we live in a great safe neighborhood at the edge of our city. It came with chain link fenced backyard.
It's near to everything we usually do, though not walkable.
Property taxes are outrageous here though.

We hope to find something similar, maybe a bigger lot for nice raised garden beds.

Best of luck, use Google maps and Google Earth to examine street views of any area you consider, and be sure to check if the city nearby has the types of businesses you typically patronize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement