Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 10:54 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,449,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Isn't marijuana legal for recreational use in your state? You don't think these kids ever go to parties?

A big jump from underage drinking or MJ use to meth and opiates. I hope it's a big jump.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:54 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times
Cody, WY.

Worked on a cattle ranch there for a year or so.

Nothing BUT cowboys, lol.

Don't know how the apartment situation is there, though.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:02 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,733,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A big jump from underage drinking or MJ use to meth and opiates. I hope it's a big jump.
Opioid addiction is all around. Several west slope counties (covering much of western CO) recognize it as a big problem right in their own areas. Yes, I live in one of them.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:09 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It would be, if he hadn't said this

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

And, have never heard of the high school students of farms/ranches getting high from a pot bong. Taking care of livestock and crops yes. Being involved in high school rodeo, FFA and/or 4-H yes. The "big city" and "urban" kids mostly get heavy into drugs and such.

But, if you insist that drugs are found in those farm and ranch areas..........that's your thoughts/thinkings, not everyones.
Point being, there's some disconnect here from reality in 2020. Sure, no one smokes a "pot bong" anymore but those teens are not likely abstaining from legal weed in its various forms.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:03 AM

8,987 posts, read 20,410,823 times
Since I can't prove who does and who doesn't, who are involved in western events things, "use" or "smoke", I can only say that I personally have never heard of any young kids in the farming/ranching communities doing it. However, I would suspect that if any organization found out, from a Judge or whomever, that a kid was "using" or "smoking", they would be suspended from the organization.

But, then again, we aren't necessarily looking for someplace to live, based solely on "no drugs" or "possible drug use". Even though we'd have to live in an apartment, we just want part of our living "area" to be more "western/cowboy/rodeo" related than where we currently are. We also want to live somewhere where the age bracket is older, like us. Where we currently live, it's like living in a dorm at a college/university. That young! Nobody here even knows what the words, rodeo-western-cowboy-ranch-farm means/is.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:26 AM

11,155 posts, read 7,215,247 times
All the people from ranches and rodeos are serious land lubbers, living and dying on acreage. How can one be of that group while living in an apartment? Seems like some significant dimestore cowboy fantasy stuff going on here.

If the people in the apartments are too young, then seek out a retirement complex of like-age folks. Perhaps having and discussing problems is bigger than solving them.

Sometimes improving one's life is less about fantasizing about the greener grass over the fence, and more about fixing matters in one's backyard.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-21-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-21-2022, 12:17 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Since I can't prove who does and who doesn't, who are involved in western events things, "use" or "smoke", I can only say that I personally have never heard of any young kids in the farming/ranching communities doing it. However, I would suspect that if any organization found out, from a Judge or whomever, that a kid was "using" or "smoking", they would be suspended from the organization.
You must be deeply plugged into your local youth culture if you expect to hear about it every time some teen eats a gummy or vapes some weed.

Quote:
But, then again, we aren't necessarily looking for someplace to live, based solely on "no drugs" or "possible drug use". Even though we'd have to live in an apartment, we just want part of our living "area" to be more "western/cowboy/rodeo" related than where we currently are. We also want to live somewhere where the age bracket is older, like us. Where we currently live, it's like living in a dorm at a college/university. That young! Nobody here even knows what the words, rodeo-western-cowboy-ranch-farm means/is.
It seems sort of obvious, but have you looked into 55+ communities?

Old 02-21-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
All the people from ranches and rodeos are serious land lubbers, living and dying on acreage. How can one be of that group while living in an apartment? Seems like some significant dimestore cowboy fantasy stuff going on here.

If the people in the apartments are too young, then seek out a retirement complex of like-age folks. Perhaps having and discussing problems is bigger than solving them.

Sometimes improving one's life is less about fantasizing about the greener grass over the fence, and more about fixing matters in one's backyard.
One thing for sure, I'm not a "dimestore cowboy"! I spent 15 years, part-time (weekends) doing rodeos in the southern part of the Sierra Circuit, which is now known as the California Circuit. Heck, during my rodeo days, I never once lived in a house. So, so much for that theory. LOL

Without a doubt, I'm sure there are those that live in apartments that are serious rodeo fans. Our walls are covered with rodeo pictures of us right beside PRCA World Champions and Hall of Famers.

Unfortunately, 55+ Communities cost too much for us to afford and/or a very long waiting list to live in. It's just that Millennials (26-40) or younger have taken over the city we live in. And, don't ask any Seniors here what they think of that.

And, as far as "fixing matters in our own backyard", the only problem we have is where we live. We don't have any kids or grandkids, so we have no understanding of all of the multi-colored hair, body piercings/tattoos thing.........and, most definitely not into. The city we live in is chocked full of both. Generally, from folks that we have talked to about this, it's the Seniors that mostly-to-totally understand how we feel.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You must be deeply plugged into your local youth culture if you expect to hear about it every time some teen eats a gummy or vapes some weed.

It seems sort of obvious, but have you looked into 55+ communities?
Well, and get ready for this...........we eat CBD Gummies! Great for helping us sleep and some arthritis pain.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 682,492 times
Maybe you two could be ranch hands and live on actual acreage doing some stuff for room and board. Stranger things have happened and it might be the perfect solution for you, as your lifestyle and interests are very specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement