Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 08:08 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Since you have no retirement, then let's hope you have enough to buy a place with your savings. That's what I'd do. The LAST thing you want, is to pay someone else's mortgage when you're old. At some point, you want to have your domicile paid off, so you can live more comfortably. This way, you aren't held "hostage" by a rent/mortgage payment.
Would love to "buy", but also have a vehicle that is a 2005 with 175,000 miles on it. Back in 2004, we bought a house, but it was too big. A Den, two bedrooms and rather large dining room not even used. We sold it when we moved out of Colorado. At the time we had it, we were both working full-time/decent paying jobs. That sure isn't the way it is now!

There are a lot of Seniors, even those on a Pension/SS, that pay rent in a 55+ Community. Sometimes a person simply "has to do what they have to do".

Old 02-18-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Cheyenne and Pendleton are huge rodeo locations. Rapid City is pretty nice as well.
Have been to Cheyenne a few times and just like what the locals say, "Once CFD (Cheyenne Frontier Days) is over, Cheyenne's cowboy stuff is over". And, because of the location for Cheyenne, it sure can get the wind.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
You might look for city with good public assistance program
You likely qualify for subsidized senior housing and perhaps Medicaid as you age for help with assisted living

Old 02-18-2022, 09:22 AM

185 posts, read 135,641 times
Northern Nevada should be right up your alley. Yerington, Fallon, Fernley, etc. Quick drive into Reno for lots of fun city stuff.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You might look for city with good public assistance program
You likely qualify for subsidized senior housing and perhaps Medicaid as you age for help with assisted living
Well, that's IF subsidized senior housing is in a safe area. Years ago, my wife lived for a six months in the Rampart Division of Los Angeles. Hearing a police helicopter hovering over her area in the middle of the night with their spotlight on looking for someone, definitely isn't what I'd call "safe". Living in a "low rent" area generally doesn't mean a safe area. When I was an EMT, I went into "low rent" areas for emergencies and............well, no thanks!

As far as Medicaid goes, we are both on, and have been on, Medicare A/B, a Supplement Plan, a Drug Plan and have discount cards for vision/dental.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have been to Cheyenne a few times and just like what the locals say, "Once CFD (Cheyenne Frontier Days) is over, Cheyenne's cowboy stuff is over". And, because of the location for Cheyenne, it sure can get the wind.
The cowboy era is over, except as a highly romanticized memory. Note I didn’t say cowboys are gone outright, but “the lifestyle” is not even close to being mainstream now.

Combining the need for apartment life and senior amenities with the cowboy lifestyle just does not compute. There’s no reason you can’t live in an apartment and wear your rodeo getup, though. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, cares whether you dress like that, except in big cities. Why do YOU care so much about what they think is normal clothing?

No western place is “safe” now. The drugs and crime occur in urban, suburban, AND rural areas. Think being out in the sticks is safe? You need to see the meth shacks tucked all over the countryside.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:40 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Rapid City is pretty nice as well.
This came to mind for me as well. I’m winter averse, but I could see us spending a summer in that area.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The cowboy era is over, except as a highly romanticized memory. Note I didn’t say cowboys are gone outright, but “the lifestyle” is not even close to being mainstream now.

Combining the need for apartment life and senior amenities with the cowboy lifestyle just does not compute. There’s no reason you can’t live in an apartment and wear your rodeo getup, though. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, cares whether you dress like that, except in big cities. Why do YOU care so much about what they think is normal clothing?

No western place is “safe” now. The drugs and crime occur in urban, suburban, AND rural areas. Think being out in the sticks is safe? You need to see the meth shacks tucked all over the countryside.
Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying "the cowboy era is over". There are still a lot of working ranches in America and one of the biggest is the King Ranch in Texas. In fact, working ranches have their own rodeo association today (WRCA). However, not all ranches today, like yesteryears, take cattle from one pasture to another completely by horseback. Now they've added ATV's and some of the richer/larger ranches even use a helicopter. But, branding and doctoring is still done the old fashion way.

Same thing when it comes to rodeo. Some non-rodeo people would say that rodeo is dying. If that was true, then why, this month (Feb) and last month (Jan) were there three rodeos where the totall payout was $3 million dollars.

So, neither the cowboy lifestyle, ranching and rodeo are coming anywhere near being gone. When we drove to Dodge City, KS, we seen so many large Feed Lots full of cattle, farm equipment and acre after acre of field corn. It was almost unbelievable!

As far as what we like to wear, well, we don't wear western clothes all of the time. Summer months, it is both western and shorts/tennis shoes and a t-shirt. Why do we care? Well, I sure wouldn't walk down Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills wearing my western stuff, including hat. Way to "out of place" and the "looks" that come with that.

Meth shacks wouldn't be found around a farm or ranch area. Farm/ranch kids are in 4-H and FFA, even rodeo. They aren't standing outside a 7-11 smoking cigarettes. They have livestock and crops to help take care of.

Believe me, wife and I both know about rodeo, ranching and farming! We know the kinds of folks that do it. I have never heard of a rodeo, farm or ranch kid overdosing and dying from any kind of illegal drug.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 02-18-2022 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-18-2022, 11:23 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Meth shacks wouldn't be found around a farm or ranch area.
Have you watched Yellowstone?

Old 02-18-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Have you watched Yellowstone?
Yellowstone is a tv series, not real life, however, it is filmed on a real ranch in Montana. And, yes, we have watched it. If folks want to know what goes on in REAL ranch life, just read the Rancher.net forum online. Real ranchers talking about ranching. I'm a part of that forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement