Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 01:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times

Advertisements

This is more about our age group than the video games.

Me, I hardly play them anymore, certainly not the first shooter ones, certainly not Farmville's mate, Zooville.

To Zooville, I saw how it roped me in and I couldn't break free. The thought of my electron animals starving because I was neglecting them was just too much to bear so I had to return each day. (I know, I am a sentimental idiot). What saved me was the game rebooting, setting me to ZERO.....and I never restarted.

With the first person shooter games, I think they lost their fun when they were overtaken by the professional players. The man who had my job before was into the on line games (the job is like that) but to me, that kind of attention to it was just Bleh. As far as "professionals", to me, those are those from those who make it their private little universe and hell for anyone else such as blasting it with their music, using cheat codes, wiring up their team ("Jake, look out, Tamara is around that corner with a sawed off shotgun,") to those who increase their statute by actually paying money into the game and beyond.

I didn't get into paying money for I saw that as foolish. If the game disappeared, what did you have to show for it? Disappear it did. Myspace had two games I was into, "Mob Wars" (I think) and an electronic paste board cat. With my cat, I moved him to a desert island and when Myspace zapped Classic one night, we-ll,......."So this is the tale of our castaways, they're here for a long long time. They'll have to make the best of it, it's an uphill climb.".

I use to play the "home version" of the "game", me against the computer but when a Windows upgrade nuked it.......I never bothered with any other. It might have just been that no one else around me was playing one.

These days, the games I do play on the computer are.....Freecell.......and the helicopter game.....if I didn't have to use up on line time to play it. https://www.addictinggames.com/clicker/helicopter-game .

Do we out grow games? Wise up? Get frustrated by them?.........or are some of us secretly hooked, still?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I was never really into them. Our kids had Nintendo when it first came out, and I played Super Mario a few times but games like that, and later Angry Birds just didn't seem productive to me, when I have so many hobbies that result in something to show for them. I'll see my wife or others playing some candy related game, and my 9 year-old grandson playing Minecraft, and just don't see the appeal.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:29 PM

123 posts, read 108,238 times
While I'm not retirement age yet, both me (mid-late 30s) and my father (who is retired in his late 60s) have a similar habit when it comes to video games.

He still plays the same games today as he did when he first got video games in the early-mid 90s, when he was in his late 30s/early 40s. He also really enjoyed arcade games in the 80s. So now he plays some Nintendo games (I set up his PC to emulate them and buy him Nintendo controllers that plug into USB), some old PC games like 1998's Risk and SimCity. Outside of that, the only video games he plays are ones with his grandkids on their Wii, like WiiSports bowling. Overall, he is not really interested in keeping up with newer games.

I am the same way.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:04 PM

306 posts, read 195,242 times
I'm still hooked video games in retirement at age 53.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:06 PM

43,071 posts, read 18,237,901 times
I've been a gamer since the 80's and am not doing it in secret either.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:33 PM

25,439 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This is more about our age group than the video games.

Me, I hardly play them anymore, certainly not the first shooter ones, certainly not Farmville's mate, Zooville.

To Zooville, I saw how it roped me in and I couldn't break free. The thought of my electron animals starving because I was neglecting them was just too much to bear so I had to return each day. (I know, I am a sentimental idiot). What saved me was the game rebooting, setting me to ZERO.....and I never restarted.

With the first person shooter games, I think they lost their fun when they were overtaken by the professional players. The man who had my job before was into the on line games (the job is like that) but to me, that kind of attention to it was just Bleh. As far as "professionals", to me, those are those from those who make it their private little universe and hell for anyone else such as blasting it with their music, using cheat codes, wiring up their team ("Jake, look out, Tamara is around that corner with a sawed off shotgun,") to those who increase their statute by actually paying money into the game and beyond.

I didn't get into paying money for I saw that as foolish. If the game disappeared, what did you have to show for it? Disappear it did. Myspace had two games I was into, "Mob Wars" (I think) and an electronic paste board cat. With my cat, I moved him to a desert island and when Myspace zapped Classic one night, we-ll,......."So this is the tale of our castaways, they're here for a long long time. They'll have to make the best of it, it's an uphill climb.".

I use to play the "home version" of the "game", me against the computer but when a Windows upgrade nuked it.......I never bothered with any other. It might have just been that no one else around me was playing one.

These days, the games I do play on the computer are.....Freecell.......and the helicopter game.....if I didn't have to use up on line time to play it. https://www.addictinggames.com/clicker/helicopter-game .

Do we out grow games? Wise up? Get frustrated by them?.........or are some of us secretly hooked, still?
My favorite video games were Pong and Asteroids, lol. I would still love to play those.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:50 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
I wonder if a person's generation makes a difference. I am an early boomer and never got involved in real video games. I do remember playing online solitaire years ago, to pass the time. More recently I play Candy Crush Soda or Candy Crush Jelly to pass the time. But never did the kind of serious gaming some of you are talking about.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:17 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Not necessarily due to age per se but perhaps the pursuit of other interests. I loved video games but not interested now as would cut into my time doing art.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:21 PM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
I never was interested.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:35 PM

17,361 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I played Pac Man, Tetris, Donkey Kong and maybe a few others back in the day but I can't recall the last time that I played a video game unless you count Wii Sports which I play maybe once or twice a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement