Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 11:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 685,326 times

Advertisements

Ask your wife what her issue is with Texas. It sounds almost perfect for you - how about Louisiana? That might be fun - Gulf Coast?

Old 02-18-2022, 12:06 PM

9,024 posts, read 20,445,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Ask your wife what her issue is with Texas. It sounds almost perfect for you - how about Louisiana? That might be fun - Gulf Coast?
She simply doesn't like Texas, just like she doesn't like Florida or any of the Gulf, Southern or Atlantic states.

And, when the Queen says "no/nope".........end of story!

Old 02-18-2022, 12:31 PM

10,129 posts, read 6,503,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
She simply doesn't like Texas, just like she doesn't like Florida or any of the Gulf, Southern or Atlantic states.

And, when the Queen says "no/nope".........end of story!
They have rodeos and western life in Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, the Dakotas, and the other Central, and Northwestern U.S. states, don't they? Plus, the cost of living is less there, as well as the cost of places to live.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:05 PM

16,181 posts, read 10,865,187 times
You might consider New Mexico. I'm 15 miles north of Albuquerque -- close enough. Santa Fe is maybe 45 minutes away and there is a commuter train and free shuttle. It is not for everybody so you should visit first. I suppose there are rodeos here, but I am not in that loop. There are a lot of horse people. The climate and food are great. It is a low population blue multicultural state. The legislature just exempted most social security from income tax effective this tax year.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:38 PM

7,896 posts, read 11,457,233 times
How about Ruidoso or Las Cruces in NM. Or Durant or Stillwater in Oklahoma? Stillwater has real cowboys not the foot ball ones in Dallas with a star on their helmet lol. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,810,457 times
No meth/coke on the rodeo circuit? Are you serious?

Old 02-18-2022, 02:59 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,411,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Y
Anyway, I'd like to ask where you went to high school in northeastern Indiana.

I grew up in northeastern (or northern) Indiana in a town right on Lake Michigan and 60 miles outside of Chicago in Indiana. Basketball was huge and all the region's high schools were very competitive against each other.

I left at age 18 and never went back....except to visit parents.
Hey Matisse, do you mean NW Indiana? NE Indiana isn't on Lake Michigan or 60 miles from Chicago. I also grew up in Lake County. Moved back to the Chicago area for 15 years, but not NW IN

Sorry for off topic here.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:09 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,057,958 times
Quote:
Well, that's IF subsidized senior housing is in a safe area. Years ago, my wife lived for a six months in the Rampart Division of Los Angeles. Hearing a police helicopter hovering over her area in the middle of the night with their spotlight on looking for someone, definitely isn't what I'd call "safe". Living in a "low rent" area generally doesn't mean a safe area. When I was an EMT, I went into "low rent" areas for emergencies and............well, no thanks!

As far as Medicaid goes, we are both on, and have been on, Medicare A/B, a Supplement Plan, a Drug Plan and have discount cards for vision/dental.
Smaller towns maybe less crime
Better options

Old 02-18-2022, 07:55 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,759,572 times
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying "the cowboy era is over". There are still a lot of working ranches in America and one of the biggest is the King Ranch in Texas. In fact, working ranches have their own rodeo association today (WRCA). However, not all ranches today, like yesteryears, take cattle from one pasture to another completely by horseback. Now they've added ATV's and some of the richer/larger ranches even use a helicopter. But, branding and doctoring is still done the old fashion way.

Same thing when it comes to rodeo. Some non-rodeo people would say that rodeo is dying. If that was true, then why, this month (Feb) and last month (Jan) were there three rodeos where the totall payout was $3 million dollars.

So, neither the cowboy lifestyle, ranching and rodeo are coming anywhere near being gone. When we drove to Dodge City, KS, we seen so many large Feed Lots full of cattle, farm equipment and acre after acre of field corn. It was almost unbelievable!

As far as what we like to wear, well, we don't wear western clothes all of the time. Summer months, it is both western and shorts/tennis shoes and a t-shirt. Why do we care? Well, I sure wouldn't walk down Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills wearing my western stuff, including hat. Way to "out of place" and the "looks" that come with that.

Meth shacks wouldn't be found around a farm or ranch area. Farm/ranch kids are in 4-H and FFA, even rodeo. They aren't standing outside a 7-11 smoking cigarettes. They have livestock and crops to help take care of.

Believe me, wife and I both know about rodeo, ranching and farming! We know the kinds of folks that do it. I have never heard of a rodeo, farm or ranch kid overdosing and dying from any kind of illegal drug.
You are sooooooo wrong about that. Once upon a time, meth was not a thing in rural areas. It is a huge problem in them now, including around ranches and farms. I could take photos and drop map pins on their locations right near ranches, if I cared to risk getting shot. Sheesh. Aggie people have easy access to common ingredients used in making meth, in addition to the usual creeps bringing that crap from south of the border.

Show rodeo like what you describe isn’t ranch rodeo. Working ranches might not hold the former in much esteem. You know the saying, “All hat and no cattle.”

And if you were considering moving to an apartment near Rodeo Drive (what IS this fixation on “rodeo” anyway?), that makes your OP come across as trolling. Rodeo Drive for affordable senior housing, LOL.

Last edited by pikabike; 02-18-2022 at 08:14 PM..

Old 02-18-2022, 08:35 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,810,457 times
Quote:
Would love to "buy", but also have a vehicle that is a 2005 with 175,000 miles on it. Back in 2004, we bought a house, but it was too big. A Den, two bedrooms and rather large dining room not even used. We sold it when we moved out of Colorado. At the time we had it, we were both working full-time/decent paying jobs. That sure isn't the way it is now!

There are a lot of Seniors, even those on a Pension/SS, that pay rent in a 55+ Community. Sometimes a person simply "has to do what they have to do".
What happened to the equity from your "too big" Colorado home? Are you living on a ranch now or in an apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement