Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 05:03 PM

501 posts, read 168,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Being a part of this forum has been very rewarding for me in all aspects of my life. It has also been very spiritually challenging and emotionally draining at times. I have encountered more differences of opinion here than really anywhere in my life. Everyone from the right to the left has challenged my thinking and faith radically.

I was recently informed by someone that since I began in this forum I've become wishy-washy; that I've become tolerant to "the other side". I'm not being a real Christian by accepting your views. I am a disapointment to Christ (the God I serve faithfully). And I am seeking justification for still being homosexual. Which of course I am not still gay.

As I've said before, for me this forum is not about a popularity contest, and it's not about agreeing with people all the time from either side of the fence. We are all people who have differing views on everything. No one, no matter if its a group of Amish, Jewish, Atheists, Christians, Muslims or whoever are going to agree exactly the same way.

Here is my question to everyone. And I would really love it if people who haven't posted before would consider putting in their 2 cents. Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?

And say you had really decided to make a decision to ask Christ in your heart...what would it take to turn you off completely? Thus, walking away and not turning back?

Some people need a firm hand while others respond more effectively to a gentle word. What do you respond to, and why?
The Gospel isn't a sales pitch to be tailored to the demographics of the audience The little tract that at least used to be used by Campus Crusade for Christ, THE FOUR SPIRITUAL LAWS, lays out the Gospel message about as clearly and succinctly as anything.

How someone responds to the Gospel message has far less to do with how it's presented than with whether the Holy Spirit has convicted the individual and he or she is ready to respond.

We were effective in presenting THE FOUR SPIRITUAL LAWS to frat boys and homeless street people precisely because it simply lays out the Gospel message in basic terms and asks the individual to look at himself or herself. We would've presented it exactly the same way to a group of Jews, Hare Krishnas, death row prisoners or homosexuals.

If someone thinks the Gospel message must be presented differently to homosexuals than to others, he or she isn't trusting the Holy Spirit and the Gospel message to do the work. It's about God's calling, not human marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 05:05 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I remember years ago when I walked away from my fundamental religious beliefs. A good long-time friend was appalled. She was truly scared for my soul. So we went to lunch one day and she asked, "but what do you do with Jesus?" I said, "I don't do anything with him." That's about the size of it. I like what he says in some of the scriptures, but as far as taking comfort in a bible God, I'm not there either. So I hear you, my friend.
There was never any comfort. Only fear and then sadness. Longed for comfort, especially during the hardest times, but it never came. This last stomp on my heart did me in.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:15 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was never any comfort. Only fear and then sadness. Longed for comfort, especially during the hardest times, but it never came. This last stomp on my heart did me in.
I can understand that.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:28 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
The Gospel isn't a sales pitch to be tailored to the demographics of the audience The little tract that at least used to be used by Campus Crusade for Christ, THE FOUR SPIRITUAL LAWS, lays out the Gospel message about as clearly and succinctly as anything.

How someone responds to the Gospel message has far less to do with how it's presented than with whether the Holy Spirit has convicted the individual and he or she is ready to respond.

We were effective in presenting THE FOUR SPIRITUAL LAWS to frat boys and homeless street people precisely because it simply lays out the Gospel message in basic terms and asks the individual to look at himself or herself. We would've presented it exactly the same way to a group of Jews, Hare Krishnas, death row prisoners or homosexuals.

If someone thinks the Gospel message must be presented differently to homosexuals than to others, he or she isn't trusting the Holy Spirit and the Gospel message to do the work. It's about God's calling, not human marketing.
Paul, who is the prime author of the dominant Christianity, disagrees. He adapted his approach to the audience he was addressing. Your unbending and rigid approach is ego-driven and self-serving, IMO. The Holy Spirit is evoked when you are in the states of mind associated with the "mind of Christ." If you are in any other state of mind, you are NOT being guided by the Holy Spirit, period!

Philippians 2:5-30 King James Version
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.

Old 08-10-2023, 02:04 AM
nng

695 posts, read 289,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Being a part of this forum has been very rewarding for me in all aspects of my life. It has also been very spiritually challenging and emotionally draining at times. I have encountered more differences of opinion here than really anywhere in my life. Everyone from the right to the left has challenged my thinking and faith radically.

I was recently informed by someone that since I began in this forum I've become wishy-washy; that I've become tolerant to "the other side". I'm not being a real Christian by accepting your views. I am a disapointment to Christ (the God I serve faithfully). And I am seeking justification for still being homosexual. Which of course I am not still gay.

As I've said before, for me this forum is not about a popularity contest, and it's not about agreeing with people all the time from either side of the fence. We are all people who have differing views on everything. No one, no matter if its a group of Amish, Jewish, Atheists, Christians, Muslims or whoever are going to agree exactly the same way.

Here is my question to everyone. And I would really love it if people who haven't posted before would consider putting in their 2 cents. Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?

And say you had really decided to make a decision to ask Christ in your heart...what would it take to turn you off completely? Thus, walking away and not turning back?

Some people need a firm hand while others respond more effectively to a gentle word. What do you respond to, and why?
You seem like a self aware thoughtful person who is going through some things.. I'll share my own personal thoughts. This is my basic beliefs and views. I'm a humble enough person to know that I'm not perfect in a moral sense. So I leave judging others to God. What matters to me is my own walk with God. Its really not my place to be judging others. I'm a not all knowing like God. God knows other people's hearts. One good rule to live by, is if you can't help at least don't harm and if you can help it's great if you do so. It's like with a physician, they take the hypocratic oath, due no harm. It can be the same with your spiritual walk. But this is just me and my own personal view on things.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:11 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is why the teaching of the primitive and absurd hellfire and damnation to young children is tantamount to child abuse. It tends to be indelibly imprinted. It is inexcusable, IMO.
While there's no scenario where I would believe Jesus Christ is the messiah based on my Jewish beliefs (he's incongruous with the messiah that is promised), growing up as the only non-Christian in a predominently fire and brimstone Southern Baptist community really sealed the deal. As an adult, it's even more horrifying to me that adults - friends' parents, friends' pastors, even some teachers and coaches - used eternal damnation as a tool to try to manipulate me away from my faith. Even in elementary school! From my adult perspective, I have to question the character of anyone who can sit in comfort with a belief that people who do not believe what they do in their spiritual lives will be punished. It doesn't sit well with me theologically, and it certainly does not reflect the type of person I welcome in my life personally - even if this person is not evangelizing to me.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If God was going to do anything to eliminate or remove the vicissitudes of this life there would be no need for us to be told to ENDURE to the end! Looking to God for material solutions instead of spiritual comfort has been a major misunderstanding of God and His relationship with us, IMO.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
If God was going to do anything to eliminate or remove the vicissitudes of this life there would be no need for us to be told to ENDURE to the end! Looking to God for material solutions instead of spiritual comfort has been a major misunderstanding of God and His relationship with us, IMO.
Mystic, speaking for myself, I too sought comfort from the Bible God, but not in order to remove the problems or burdens of this life. I was a Christian for more than half of my life, and I found that being in that space just did not work for me. That is why I moved on to another belief system. That being said, I think all of us are connected with the Universe and each other, but I have no problem with those who say they have not been able to find comfort. Sometimes life is just so damn hard and it seems some cannot catch a break. I know whereof MQ speaks.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Mystic, speaking for myself, I too sought comfort from the Bible God, but not in order to remove the problems or burdens of this life. I was a Christian for more than half of my life, and I found that being in that space just did not work for me. That is why I moved on to another belief system. That being said, I think all of us are connected with the Universe and each other, but I have no problem with those who say they have not been able to find comfort. Sometimes life is just so damn hard and it seems some cannot catch a break. I know whereof MQ speaks.
I too know whereof MQ speaks, Trobesmom. The difference is that I have the undeserved advantage of KNOWING God exists and is within our consciousness so I am never alone and the comfort is automatic.

Old 08-24-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I too know whereof MQ speaks, Trobesmom. The difference is that I have the undeserved advantage of KNOWING God exists and is within our consciousness so I am never alone and the comfort is automatic.

I am glad for you, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality