Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
HG- I respect you for posting that. Really. My mother worked with teenage runaways, was a loving caring person and one of her kids even went out and became a dr. and accomplished great things (not me-lol) She died when I was a teenager. She was healthy, there was a snowstorm and horrible accident. I guess I stopped going to church after that.

I am surprised I divulged that. You asked a real and honest question, I gave you my honest answer.
sunnyhelena,
I'm so sorry you lost your Mom that way at such a young age. Thank you for sharing that.

Was your Mother religious? I'm assuming from what you said that you'd been going to church until her death. I always wonder how and why some people feel closer to God after a tragedy, and some turn away. Did you feel that God abandoned you?

Sorry HG-I'm not hijacking your thread-I was just touched by sunny's honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 01:11 PM

212 posts, read 858,901 times
Quote:
One is patronizing toward anyone else's religion and talks a lot about "The Lord", and explained how my being Catholic is not going to save me - I guess I'm not Christian enough.
what?!?!? this is the type of attitude I was referencing in my previous post. And this is slightly off topic...but the bible didn't fall from the sky (leatherbound and all)....the Catholics (before the split) had a little something to do with compiling it and all.....

Old 04-28-2007, 01:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Hoosier, I can't imagine anyone being offended or turned off by your threads or posts. You have the gift of speaking your mind without sounding judgmental. I think most of us can see the strength of your Faith, and your sincerity.
If that's considered "too tolerant", than wear the badge proudly!!

Old 04-28-2007, 01:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Your question is,

Quote:
And say you had really decided to make a decision to ask Christ in your heart...what would it take to turn you off completely? Thus, walking away and not turning back?
and, my reply would be dialogue, an exchange of ideas and a long, sympathetic series of sharing experiences.

Would I wish to be drawn to have Christ in my heart, no, but how I respond to the question is very different when asked respectfully, and with earnest.

I think you should also search yourself, and seek out those that can support you in your strengths, and try to avoid those voices that wish to bring on guilt and comflict over your image here or elsewhere. You have received a tremendous amount of moral, and religious support from many of those that define themselves as Christian, and you have developed and won the friendship of those that do not identify as Christian. It would be a pity to allow someone else's hubris, spite and self-righteousness to interfere with your own development as a born again Christian, a man, a family, a colleage and a friend.

Trust thyself!

Old 04-28-2007, 01:51 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
You sound like a very nice guy and although we may not agree on a lot of things, I think you sound like a very sincere, kind person.

Now, my response: I am not a Christian and probably won't ever be a Christian. But, I think one thing that really turns me off on Christianity is that some of the most vocal personalities are so judgmental.

For example, in your post you say that some people are judging you that you are becoming "too tolerant." I find that absolutely fascinating as Jesus (if you believe the New Testament) was one of the most tolerant persons of his time. He hung out with tax collectors, lepers, gentiles, and all kinds of other outcasts of the age. I wonder what these people who are accusing you would say of Jesus if they were back in that time?

And besides, if all you need to be saved is to sincerely take Christ into your heart and accept him as your savior, then why worry about all these these other political and moral causes? Seriously, if that is all you need to do, then why are so many so-called religious people condemning people from church for being gay or having an abortion, etc? They should instead spend their time encouraging every person to accept Jesus, no matter their political or moral situation. Instead they seem to devote so much energy toward hate. I don't understand that at all.
Yeah, what you said! I was thinking the same thing - how can somebody be TOO tolerant and accepting of others?? (provided they're not murderers or something)To me that makes no sense, but it's precisely why you'd never be able to convert me to Christianity. Obviously not all Christians feel that way (I have friends of the faith who aren't like that at ALL), but as Irwin said, the most vocal are often the most judgmental. My situation might be slightly different, since I am a Jew, so therefore I already have a faith I'm happy with... might not be the same for an Atheist, but they're usually pretty secure in their beliefs as well.

Anyway, I do appreciate the post Hoosier, and here are my final words of advice - do what YOU feel is right in your heart, and just ignore the people who are giving you a hard time. If they were real Christians, they'd accept your beliefs and not challenge them in such a judgmental manner. We don't all have to agree with each other - and Lord knows we don't! - but we should try our hardest to respect one another.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
nice post gizmo!. This is the first thread where everyone (almost) has been respectful.

sunny

Old 04-28-2007, 03:40 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
nice post gizmo!. This is the first thread where everyone (almost) has been respectful.

sunny
Thanks. And I'm glad the thread has been respectful, since that's what Hoosier deserves... we're all guilty of being judgmental sometimes (yes, me too! ), but I do try my hardest to remember the Golden Rule - "Do unto others as you wish them to do unto you". Wish everyone could keep that in mind, no matter what subject we're debating about.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:57 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
WE HAVE BEEN BEATING YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH JESUS CHRIST.
And, herein, Hoosier_guy, lies the problem. Too many Christians do exactly that, beat people over the head with Jesus. They may have good intentions, but that just doesn't cut it, if you are treating people as though they were five years old! I'm not referring to you, obviously. I have a great deal of respect for you, and from what I can gather on this forum, if I knew you in person, I think you would be like my aunt. And, that, my friend, is a compliment! She never comes across in a sanctimonious or hateful manner, yet there is no mistaking what, and more importantly, Who, she believes in. Her actions always speak louder than her words, when it comes to living her Christian life, and although I no longer go to church, I have the greatest utmost respect for her, and how she lives her beliefs. Personally, I think if more people lived their beliefs, that other people would listen more attentively.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:41 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Well thank you to everyone for your kind words. It's always nice to know how appreciated one is. I never imagined getting into this forum and finding such great people. As NS mentioned in her post, it was a pm from her that got me thinking and creating this thread. I was not going to name names because I don't think that's appropriate...and as I was admonished in another thread for something that happened at work.

Well just when you think it's safe to go back in the water...Jaws comes up out of the water!! I received a private message from NS tonight blaming me for getting banned. Yep, that's right, according to her, she has been banned. I shared that I reported a few of her posts to the mods. I was told she expected that from atheists...but not Christians. Well suffice it to say, according to her my two reports got her banned...and Satan used me for this purpose. I am his minion (my words here).

All I can say is that I am so sorry to anyone who has been offended by NS. As a Christian I am embarrassed when people represent Christ in this manner. While there are many people out there there like this, please know that there are MORE people that are not like that.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I think the approach northsouth took was very unchristian and using her own words "beating you over the head" is wrong. Jesus never did that. CelticLady has brought up some points about the way a Christian should respond to people. Our actions do speak louder than anything we can say. Everything we do and say should be done in love so people will see Jesus in us. And Hoosier I see Jesus in you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality