Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 07:18 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post

Here is my question to everyone. And I would really love it if people who haven't posted before would consider putting in their 2 cents. Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?

And say you had really decided to make a decision to ask Christ in your heart...what would it take to turn you off completely? Thus, walking away and not turning back?

Some people need a firm hand while others respond more effectively to a gentle word. What do you respond to, and why?
I already have what you mean by Christ in my heart. I call it Atma, it is Divinity itself. Not only that i believe that Divinity is my true self, not this body-mind complex that I have named CB for this forum. Not only that I believe every living being has Divinity within, because Divinity exists everywhere, there is no place it does not exist. Every time we express our humanity in kindness, compassion, and joy, we act with Divinity in that moment. So if you approach me with your testimony I will tell what is in you is in me, so let us rejoice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 07:48 AM

998 posts, read 785,836 times
We are NOT Divine beings, At least not yet.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
We are NOT Divine beings, At least not yet.
There are no Divine beings, there is only Divinity, one single undivided Divinity, which exists everywhere, and in all beings.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:20 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There are no Divine beings, there is only Divinity, one single undivided Divinity, which exists everywhere, and in all beings.
So it's cb, Adolf, and Jeffrey Dahmer all together. Interesting.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So it's cb, Adolf, and Jeffrey Dahmer all together. Interesting.
and you as well. once realized ignorance will resolve

Old 07-27-2023, 11:02 AM

981 posts, read 541,187 times
Quote:
Being a part of this forum has been very rewarding for me in all aspects of my life. It has also been very spiritually challenging and emotionally draining at times. I have encountered more differences of opinion here than really anywhere in my life. Everyone from the right to the left has challenged my thinking and faith radically.

I was recently informed by someone that since I began in this forum I've become wishy-washy; that I've become tolerant to "the other side". I'm not being a real Christian by accepting your views. I am a disapointment to Christ (the God I serve faithfully). And I am seeking justification for still being homosexual. Which of course I am not still gay.

As I've said before, for me this forum is not about a popularity contest, and it's not about agreeing with people all the time from either side of the fence. We are all people who have differing views on everything. No one, no matter if its a group of Amish, Jewish, Atheists, Christians, Muslims or whoever are going to agree exactly the same way.

Here is my question to everyone. And I would really love it if people who haven't posted before would consider putting in their 2 cents. Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?

And say you had really decided to make a decision to ask Christ in your heart...what would it take to turn you off completely? Thus, walking away and not turning back?

Some people need a firm hand while others respond more effectively to a gentle word. What do you respond to, and why?
What would turn me off and actually did, was claiming some normal human behavior and experiences are un godly and sinful. There is no reationality to most people trying to recruit people to their religion. I have not yet found one person who had a good reason for me to "ask Christ into my heart". It is all a big circus and I would not want to be the main act. If it is private and someone actually comes to you and asks then by all means provide your experiences, tell them why you choose this religion, and let them decide without any cajoling or condemnation of their life, choices or who they associate with. (or for women just the fact that they are women, to some is reason enough for them to be condemed)

As for those who accuse you of being "wishy washy" because you have a brain and are using it, dump them. You don't need those people in your lives and they are not Good Christians like they claim. Remember, there is a difference between claiming to be a good christian and actually being a good christian. Judgement is Not required and actually in some of the texts of the bible it is advised Not to Judge. And if you are gay, so what, no one's business, and if you have changed your mind about that also no one's business. It has nothing to do with religion.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:24 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
and you as well. once realized ignorance will resolve
No, sorry, I have nothing in common with you three. And thinking that Adolf and Jeffrey are part of divinity...certainly puts a stain on divinity. A stain that cannot be removed.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:37 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1429 View Post
I would want to be treated by a Christian the same way I want to be treated by anyone - with respect and patience and affection. I think the best approach to someone who is not Christian (or at least not 'born again') is by example and by discussing your spirituality, that is, your personal experience of God. BUT---please oh please do not just quote the Bible. And don't condemn other religions. I work with several people who are born again - one who drives me crazy, one who I adore. The difference? One is patronizing toward anyone else's religion and talks a lot about "The Lord", and explained how my being Catholic is not going to save me - I guess I'm not Christian enough. The other person is very gentle, makes it known that he would just love it if you came to his church, but doesn't push. He also acknowledges that one's relationship with God is very personal, for no one to judge as right or wrong.
By the way, I don't think you can be too tolerant - not in this world. I cannot think that Christ, who spoke a lot about love and compassion (and absolutely nothing about homosexuality, by the way), would be disappointed in you. You seem like a person who earnestly wants to communicate with other people. That's good.
Yeah I’m not surprised your born again work colleague doesn’t regard you as being “saved”, for being Catholic.
Catholics are seen as a pretty easy target to evangelize, as they are seen as “religious”, but not real Christians per se.
I’ve watched plenty of debates, and street preaching etc on YouTube and other videos.
The same old tired arguments, and biblical quotes always come up.
What do they really want to hear you say, to prove you’re a believer or not?
My own spiritual path and views on Christianity have changed with time.
Having an adult child come out as gay, is not least a small part of that either.
Christianity wants to see itself as an inclusive religion, but there’s just a few biblical quotes that ensure it isn’t, and never will be.
When you watch street preachers like Ruben Israel, attacking everyone from homosexuals, to Muslims, to Catholics, you realize there are some real big problems within Christianity.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:50 PM

529 posts, read 182,947 times
Quote:
Being a part of this forum has been very rewarding for me in all aspects of my life. It has also been very spiritually challenging and emotionally draining at times. I have encountered more differences of opinion here than really anywhere in my life. Everyone from the right to the left has challenged my thinking and faith radically.

I was recently informed by someone that since I began in this forum I've become wishy-washy; that I've become tolerant to "the other side". I'm not being a real Christian by accepting your views. I am a disapointment to Christ (the God I serve faithfully). And I am seeking justification for still being homosexual. Which of course I am not still gay.

As I've said before, for me this forum is not about a popularity contest, and it's not about agreeing with people all the time from either side of the fence. We are all people who have differing views on everything. No one, no matter if its a group of Amish, Jewish, Atheists, Christians, Muslims or whoever are going to agree exactly the same way.

The most effective way for me is to run up to Christ, give Him a hug and tell Him I have come home!

For the family that accept Him, I would run up to them, love them with all my heart and say I love you so dearly!

For the ones that reject Him, I would run up to them, love them with all my heart and say I love you so dearly!

For the ones that hate Him and hate me even more because I don't fit in their definition of being a Christian, I would run up to them, love them with all my heart and say I love you so dearly!

For the ones that don't believe He exist, guess what I'm going to say to them my dear lol! I would run up to them, love them with all my heart and say I love you so dearly!

Mortals have so much struggle, hurt, anger, mistrust and sadness in them that they lash out to people that think differently than what they do. I can't control their anger, but I can show them the love I have seen from God above.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:32 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:

Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?
For me, I really like the Christian Rock Star that used to be a regular Rock Star who took lots of drugs, had long hair and tattoos and worshiped Satan before he found Christ. And I much prefer that their secular music sounded like it was of the Devil. Having had a lot of groupies would grab my interest even further. Bonus points if you had Cynthia the plaster caster or Sweet Connie in your port folio. A history of trashing hotel rooms and guitars on stage also intrigues.

A dude like that could approach me any way he wanted to provided I can get a pic and an autograph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality