Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

15,953 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
But religions often are.

We are not talking about religions existing, we are talking about them being true. Either a god created everything (Abrahamic religions), everything IS god (Hinduism, Pantheism), or gods are created by existence (Daoism). These are (once again) mutually exclusive beliefs, they can not all be true.
Everything is not God, God is in everything. Big difference. Best not to spread fake theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

63,787 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Everything is not God, God is in everything. Big difference. Best not to spread fake theories.
You have it backward. Everything is in God. Big difference. The differences are in how they manifest to our senses and instruments, IMO.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Existence. That is the only truth. There is nothing else. I welcome you to prove otherwise.
That existence is truth? I doubt many people would argue with this, though about even this there are those who might.

That existence is the only truth? Well, no doubt we would have little else to discuss if not for the fact we and everything else exists. I'll give you that too, but that existence is the only truth?

Not only am I not sure if I understand you correctly, but I'm pretty sure most people go through life recognizing other truths besides existence. Beyond our own existence in any case.

That existence is "the only truth" also doesn't do much for me all considered. As this forum and these threads also tend to demonstrate, there is more going on between the ears of most people other than recognizing existence for what it is.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think that is attributed to Buddha.

https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/three-t...and-the-truth/
I used to attribute that quote to the Buddha, but over time I realized no one really knows whether Buddha actually said those words. That the sun and the moon are invoked makes it seem like something the Buddha might say, but no one really knows for sure, so I now attribute the quote to "unknown."

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
although it is fun to see an ardent atheist proclaiming the wisdom of that which has its origin in Buddhism.
Perhaps you should pay closer attention, because I have long let it be known I am quite the fan of Buddhism, and if I were a religious person, I would be a Buddhist long before considering any other religion nowadays.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Religion and science are very much related. The printing press was essential for spreading the Protestant Reformation. It enabled the direct relationship to Jesus via printed Bibles that didn't require a priestly intermediary.

Christianity has evolved due to science, even though the fundamental message of Jesus dying for our sins hasn't changed.
It is commonly said the Gutenberg Bible was the first printed book, and in Europe it was, but before then...

"The Diamond Sutra, a Buddhist book from Dunhuang, China from around 868 A.D. during the Tang Dynasty, is said to be the oldest known printed book. The Diamond Sutra was created with a method known as block printing, which utilized panels of hand-carved wood blocks in reverse."

https://www.history.com/topics/inven...rinting-press#

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Quote:
That is your belief, most Christians and Muslims disagree about there being more than one path of religion. John 14:6, for example, no one comes to the Father except through me (meaning Jesus).

It is utterly irrational (and amusing) and tedious that you once again use your false comparison to claim mutually exclusive beliefs are not mutually exclusive.
Good point. In fact as we all know, there are many differing Chistian sects and with Islam there are at least seven; namely Sunni, Shia, Whabbi, Salafi, Berelvi, Sufi and Deobandi.

I'll leave the arguing with whom you are arguing to you, because my patience has completely run out with that one.

Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
But religions often are. We are not talking about religions existing, we are talking about them being true. Either a god created everything (Abrahamic religions), everything IS god (Hinduism, Pantheism), or gods are created by existence (Daoism). These are (once again) mutually exclusive beliefs, they can not all be true.
those are not mutually exclusive.
jumping to the erroneous conclusion they are however does demonstrate simplistic reductive incomplete thinking, and a wide swath of ignorance (lack of knowledge, understanding, information) as to why and how they are not mutually exclusive.

and that's OK.

the "either or" dichotomous thinking demonstrated above is the obstacle barrier quicksand which precludes (a) understanding, and (b) rational thought. Because "either or" dichotomous thinking is the flawed premise (and flawed mindset) which quite naturally generates the spawn of flawed conclusion. Dichotomous thinking is itself an irrational mindset of cognitive distortion.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 09:32 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have it backward. Everything is in God. Big difference. The differences are in how they manifest to our senses and instruments, IMO.
Yes, Mystic, but what you seem to be forgetting is that existence is the one truth. No matter whether one has it backwards or forwards! Accordingly, if existence is the only truth, and say we contemplate whether a god exists, and conclude there is no evidence to establish the existence of a god, where does this leave us?

I am not sure, but I meant to mention a few days ago I enjoyed a free talk at a theater not far from where I live. Something like a TEDTalk, only this one was done by a most entertaining woman, Emily Levesque. "An American astronomer, author, and associate professor in the Department of Astronomy at the University of Washington. She is renowned for her work on massive stars and using these stars to investigate galaxy formation."

I enjoyed her talk/show very much, and after she was done with her presentation, I was rather surprised when she took questions from the audience, and how she answered this question. She was asked if the universe was infinite. She rather matter-of-factly and succinctly answered, "yes."

I had never before heard a scientist or astronomer say the universe was infinite, but I have long held that belief.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Then stop posting fake theories, Pantheism and Panentheism do exist. We know you live in your own make it up as you go along world, but we do have a Panentheist, MysticPhD, who frequently posts here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality