Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2024, 06:50 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
No, we’re not. The topic is the death penalty and the Christian response. You are highjacking this thread.
The death penalty is punishment presented as justice! That is a Christian response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 07:51 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
No, we’re not. The topic is the death penalty and the Christian response. You are highjacking this thread.
I don't agree. Apparently you are unaware of how a conversation develops.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:15 PM

691 posts, read 640,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is not personal. I consider the concept of punishment as "justice" (used to justify the barbaric belief in an Eternal Hell) to be an abominable blasphemy of God's agape love and forgiveness. There is no justice in that horrendous idea.
If you imagine that it is blasphemy, then it is obvious that you don't know whether your God considers it blasphemy. However, it is only natural for a person to imagine that their God loves and forgives them, it is only natural right?

So if you want to imagine that for someone to say the death penalty is justice for taking another person's life is an abominable blasphemy of your God's love and forgiveness, then you might want to consider that your God is imaginary cause your concept of love and forgiveness is abominable.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think it's unrelated. If you asked the average christian where they thought men on death row would end up...you don't think they'd say 'hell'?
So if you were asked those on death row where they think their murdered victims ended up...you don't think they'd say 'heaven'?

Old 03-06-2024, 11:04 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
So if you were asked those on death row where they think their murdered victims ended up...you don't think they'd say 'heaven'?
I expect there is a fair amount of violent criminals who are certain that they sent their murder victim off to hell, frequently being another violent criminal like they are.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I expect there is a fair amount of violent criminals who are certain that they sent their murder victim off to hell, frequently being another violent criminal like they are.
Interesting point, kinda like those mobsters movies where one mobster would say something like 'see you in hell' before they shoot another mobster, I guess they will be going to hell with the Christians who say murders are going to hell, that is if there is an eternal hell

I think if asked they would say they really don't give a $hi+ where their victims ended up, because they obviously don't give a $hi+ where they ended up themselves.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Not having ever been a murderer on death row, and not having ever been a sociopath (definition: "Antisocial personality disorder, sometimes called sociopathy, is a mental health condition in which a person consistently shows no regard for right and wrong and ignores the rights and feelings of others"), I have no idea.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Probably, at least in many cases, because many (or maybe most) feel their crime was justified.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
naturally believers don't have a problem with god...they imagine him to be what they want him to be.
On the contrary, we are willing to accept we are not God. We aren't the ones who think we know more than him.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
On the contrary, we are willing to accept we are not God. We aren't the ones who think we know more than him.
and yet y'all don't think alike, don't pray alike, don't attend the same denomination, etc. And you often fight over it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality