Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 10:18 AM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What happens when new evidence surfaces that clearly establishes the victim was the wrong man? How will you restore “justice” then? Until we know perfect justice can be rendered, the state should not play god.
I hate it when you and I agree on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 11:03 AM

33,276 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Capital punishment is state sponsored murder. If and when new evidence surfaces and the murdered victim is exonerated, who should go to jail? Whom would the state murder now? Until the state can give back the victim’s life, murder is murder.
Murder is a crime under the law. State sanctioned capital punishment is legal and not a crime. Yes, people have been executed who turned out to be innocent but this does not invalidate the principle that people who murder someone lose their right to live.

Let me be clear. I have no sympathy at all for those who murder their victims and have no desire to rehabilitate them. Their punishment should be to lose their own life. It's justice. And having lost their own life they will never again be able to murder anyone else.

I'm done here. I've made my statement and stand by it.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Murder is a crime under the law. State sanctioned capital punishment is legal and not a crime. Yes, people have been executed who turned out to be innocent but this does not invalidate the principle that people who murder someone lose their right to live.

Let me be clear. I have no sympathy at all for those who murder their victims and have no desire to rehabilitate them. Their punishment should be to lose their own life. It's justice. And having lost their own life they will never again be able to murder anyone else.

It would seem logical, therefore, for you as a christian (are you?) that there should be no forgiveness for sins. Just go to hell.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:
What happens when new evidence surfaces that clearly establishes the victim was the wrong man? How will you restore “justice” then? Until we know perfect justice can be rendered, the state should not play god.
What happens when a murderer kills again? Should the justice system be responsible for aiding and abetting?

Old 03-13-2024, 01:22 PM

15,984 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What happens when a murderer kills again? Should the justice system be responsible for aiding and abetting?
What does the state do if a thief commits a crime again? Do we steal from him?
What about rape?
You have still not solved the question of who gets killed if the victim of state sponsored murder turns out to be innocent. That alone should be the reason to ban capital punishment, leaving aside all morality.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:26 PM

15,984 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:

A single innocent person who was killed by the state morally invalidates the law that a state can take life. The prosecutor, judge, and jury should go to jail for life. Or be killed according to the law.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:28 PM

33,276 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
A single innocent person who was killed by the state morally invalidates the law that a state can take life. The prosecutor, judge, and jury should go to jail for life. Or be killed according to the law.
That's your opinion. Not mine. But you do you.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:33 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
If a thief is caught the items are either returned to the owner or become property of the state.

If a rapist is caught, justice is applied to the crime.

I believe the justice system we have now, gives ample time for a murderer, to forgo their sentence if new evidence is discovered. More than half of all prisoners currently sentenced to death in the U.S. have been on death row for more than 18 years.

I do not believe in an eye for an eye, but the justice/judgement should match the crime. If you murder someone and there are more than two credible eye witness... you go to the front of the line.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
That's your opinion. Not mine. But you do you.
I thought you were done here.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If a thief is caught the items are either returned to the owner or become property of the state.

If a rapist is caught, justice is applied to the crime.

I believe the justice system we have now, gives ample time for a murderer, to forgo their sentence if new evidence is discovered. More than half of all prisoners currently sentenced to death in the U.S. have been on death row for more than 18 years.

I do not believe in an eye for an eye, but the justice/judgement should match the crime. If you murder someone and there are more than two credible eye witness... you go to the front of the line.
So from a moral perspective, you wouldn't mind being the one to actually execute the villain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality