Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 04:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
and yet y'all don't think alike, don't pray alike, don't attend the same denomination, etc. And you often fight over it
No, we are still human beings. Christians, like Budhists, like everyone else....have differences of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 05:41 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No, we are still human beings. Christians, like Budhists, like everyone else....have differences of opinion.
And, you're wrong.

See how that works?

Old 03-07-2024, 06:21 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God grants the government the power to rule, which includes capital punishment. (Rom 13:1-4).

It's really that simple. It's not about emotional responses to a crime, or to get revenge. It's justice. That's it. If a crime is heinous enough, the deserved punishment is execution.
I agree. Another issue is that those types of people that are executed often are very dangerous when incarcerated. Who would like to be the guard(s) they attack or other prisoners they can get their hands on?

I believe that people who commit heinous crimes have lost their souls. It isn't like they sell their souls to Satan, but that by their actions they have done so. They are hollow beings, barely human if human anymore at all.

I am more "an eye for an eye" than a "turn the other cheek" person.

Oh, yeah, most "get" Jesus as a selling point when they go before the parole board.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:02 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
"The power to rule" may simply imply safety of the innocent rather than justice...

"Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord." Justice can be vengeance by another name.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:25 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"The power to rule" may simply imply safety of the innocent rather than justice...

"Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord." Justice can be vengeance by another name.
What is Vengeance is clear. What is justice is not always clear. Perhaps the Lord is saying i know what both are so leave it to me.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:43 AM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
How do you know what Jesus would tell him; so what do you think Jesus would specifically command him to do in that situation if you care to share?
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I think of Jesus suffering on the cross and I think of the man next to him on his own cross who was converted and saved...

....is that not reformation of a man, making the death penalty moot? Was not the torture and murder or Jesus a wrongful death? There are innocent people who have been condemned. There are people who could be reformed who have been condemned.

If thou shalt not murder, why should we murder through capital punishment?

Old 03-09-2024, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I think of Jesus suffering on the cross and I think of the man next to him on his own cross who was converted and saved...

....is that not reformation of a man, making the death penalty moot? Was not the torture and murder or Jesus a wrongful death? There are innocent people who have been condemned. There are people who could be reformed who have been condemned.

If thou shalt not murder, why should we murder through capital punishment?
Yes to This^^

Old 03-09-2024, 06:04 AM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Rehabilitation fails in most cases. The recidivism rate is high and always has been. I see the Death Penalty having two purposes. First and foremost, it prevents a heinous criminal from preying on additional victims. Dead men can't do harm. Second, it does work as a deterrent for some, but only if the execution comes swiftly. There is no deterrent in a 30-year appeals process.

Execution is not murder, any more than when a soldier kills an enemy. People don't execute criminals. The STATE executes criminals. The STATE hires people to perform the execution, but it is not like they hand a criminal off to Joe Blow and leave it to him to live or die. The STATE determines if a person should receive the Death Penalty and then follows through with the execution.

That is not murder. Christ was not murdered by some random person. He was executed by Pontius Pilate, who sentenced him to death. The Roman STATE executed Christ.
I don't think we do a good job trying to rehabilitate people as a society we haven't structured a good system for that end....we have structured a good system for locking people up.

Execution is murder. They take a man who is helpless and in chains and then end his life on purpose. It is a form of state sanctioned murder.

Soldiers killing each other is in fact state sanctioned murder, or at best killing in self-defense. I don't begrudge the soldiers themselves who were put in an awful position, but I wish the politicians wouldn't be as pro-war as they are. The US is rarely not at war somewhere when looking at our history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
I don't think we do a good job trying to rehabilitate people as a society we haven't structured a good system for that end....we have structured a good system for locking people up.

Execution is murder. They take a man who is helpless and in chains and then end his life on purpose. It is a form of state sanctioned murder.

Soldiers killing each other is in fact state sanctioned murder, or at best killing in self-defense. I don't begrudge the soldiers themselves who were put in an awful position, but I wish the politicians wouldn't be as pro-war as they are. The US is rarely not at war somewhere when looking at our history.

But that man is guilty.

Old 03-09-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:

The prison system, defence industry and the NRA are corporatized and the politicians are in thrall of all of them. there is too much money to be made with murder and torture. it is a sickness that plagues all of us. many veterans return damaged both physically and mentally. gun violence is often committed by veterans with mental illness, and they get inadequate health services.
Jesus might have to return, with fire and brimstone this time, to fix this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality