Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 03:59 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
It's ironic that the Commandment Thou Shalt Not Kill is not adhered to by religious Christians who seem to cherry pick the Commandments. Not surprising at all, but maddening.
I actually am in favor of cherry picking...presuming that it means the individual is thinking through the moral teachings. But that is a big presumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 05:33 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
There are other ethics of God and forbid things where believers in Jesus would consider alright today, like unrepentant divorce of marriage, encouragement of war, protesting for causes as believers in Jesus are called to seek God on any protesting in streets or parades protest are off limits, then drinking alcohol and drugs are off for God ..... The problem of the death penalty is that many believers are weak in the faith of God and give up asking for a solution from God

Old 03-03-2024, 08:23 PM

19,967 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have never fully settled the question of the death penalty in my own mind. Intellectually, I'm against the death penalty and think it's immoral. BUT, every once in a while a person will commit a crime or crimes so heinous that I have to stop and say to myself, "Gee, now here's a case where I think the death penalty is deserved".
Mrs Mordant is of the same persuasion. She sees only red in child molestation and thinks it deserves the death penalty, for instance.

I am with @ElijahAstin though, it is pretty clear from studies that since it's not swift justice but the end of a long appeals process it's a totally ineffective deterrent, particularly since criminal types tend to be a little weak in cause and effect reasoning to begin with ... it costs society more than lifetime imprisonment, by a long shot. There is also the reality that an astonishing number of longstanding death sentences and life sentences due to murder and other major crimes end up reversed eventually with new evidence (e.g., DNA, or just gradually improving standards of evidence). The reality is that the poor and disadvantaged are often railroaded by eager DA's looking to close cases. Considering these abuses as well, I think the death penalty is overall a very bad idea.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Mrs Mordant is of the same persuasion. She sees only red in child molestation and thinks it deserves the death penalty, for instance.

I am with @ElijahAstin though, it is pretty clear from studies that since it's not swift justice but the end of a long appeals process it's a totally ineffective deterrent, particularly since criminal types tend to be a little weak in cause and effect reasoning to begin with ... it costs society more than lifetime imprisonment, by a long shot. There is also the reality that an astonishing number of longstanding death sentences and life sentences due to murder and other major crimes end up reversed eventually with new evidence (e.g., DNA, or just gradually improving standards of evidence). The reality is that the poor and disadvantaged are often railroaded by eager DA's looking to close cases. Considering these abuses as well, I think the death penalty is overall a very bad idea.
My previous comments not withstanding, I pretty much agree with your post.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:38 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And, from the Roman POV, Jesus' crimes were heinous. Hence crucifixion.

Do you see how that works. It becomes a point of view situation.
No one is arguing that. Does that surprise you?

Old 03-04-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
It's ironic that the Commandment Thou Shalt Not Kill is not adhered to by religious Christians who seem to cherry pick the Commandments. Not surprising at all, but maddening.
God never said not to kill. You realize that, right? In fact, he commanded the Israelites to kill at times.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:09 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
The death penalty is one of those very thorny matters like abortion. So many variables with different situations that it's impractical and unwise to formulate one approach for all situations.

I don't think religion is set up to handle this matter, and/or should intrude. But that's a tall order. Politics is closer to it, but also a faulty platform from which to work.

Meeting death isn't even a horrible thing. It might be a end and peace for some, release for others, transcending to a different or higher level. I'm certainly not afraid of it, though I also don't put expectations on what might happen (which could include nothing).

I'm steering fully clear away from any suggestions or comments beyond that. I'm focused on my own life, and what to do better for the personal and common good. Focusing on the now and present will always pay off more than the future; rushing off to death, whether horrible, great or neutral.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-04-2024 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-04-2024, 01:20 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God never said not to kill. You realize that, right? In fact, he commanded the Israelites to kill at times.
God killed a lot of folks himself. But it is ok cuz he is God.

As the late, great Ravi Zacharias used to say in his native accent. "Only God can play God"...

So when he kills people he necessarily doesn't need a reason...

Old 03-04-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No one is arguing that. Does that surprise you?
You posted:

"God grants the government the power to rule, which includes capital punishment. (Rom 13:1-4).

It's really that simple. It's not about emotional responses to a crime, or to get revenge. It's justice. That's it. If a crime is heinous enough, the deserved punishment is execution."

So, in your point of view, crucifying Jesus was the right thing for Rome to do.

What an odd position for you to take.

Old 03-04-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
God killed a lot of folks himself. But it is ok cuz he is God.

As the late, great Ravi Zacharias used to say in his native accent. "Only God can play God"...

So when he kills people he necessarily doesn't need a reason...
Yes. That's correct. The Creator is free to do what he wants with his creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality