Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 09:58 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

That is not murder. Christ was not murdered by some random person. He was executed by Pontius Pilate, who sentenced him to death. The Roman STATE executed Christ.
So that means it was okay.
Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 10:01 AM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
As for me, I oppose Capital Punishment, but not on moral grounds. The State has every authority to execute violent repeat criminals. IMHO, it would not be unreaonable if the State doled out Capital Punishment far more often than it does -- that is if they actually executed anyone in a timely fashion.

The reason I oppose Capital Punishment is, I believe a noble society that values high morals should treat even heinous criminals in a lofty moral fashion. Regardless what they deserve, it is enough to separate them from society for life, in a safe and secure facility where they don't suffer. That said, they should never be comfortble either. No pizza or TV or weight sets. They should either be breaking rocks all day or left to think about their crimes. No luxuries. But no Death Penalty, not being subject to rape and beatings, etc.

I oppose the Death Penalty because I think a great nation like America should be a beacon of light in the world, but not because I think it is immoral. The State has a moral authority to execute criminals who engage in heinous conduct. I just think we should raise the bar above what we are authorized to do.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:39 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God grants the government the power to rule, which includes capital punishment. (Rom 13:1-4).

It's really that simple. It's not about emotional responses to a crime, or to get revenge. It's justice. That's it. If a crime is heinous enough, the deserved punishment is execution.
This ^^^

Old 03-03-2024, 01:32 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God grants the government the power to rule, which includes capital punishment. (Rom 13:1-4).

It's really that simple. It's not about emotional responses to a crime, or to get revenge. It's justice. That's it. If a crime is heinous enough, the deserved punishment is execution.
And, from the Roman POV, Jesus' crimes were heinous. Hence crucifixion.

Do you see how that works. It becomes a point of view situation.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:59 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
By Judaic, do you mean Abrahamic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I am not religious but I agree with you. You make good points and I am always confused by religious people (specifically of the judaic religions) who are for the death penalty. There are a lot of cherry pickers out there using their holy books to justify themselves and it ends up being chaos, especiallly when the cherry picking is fragments of sentences that mean the opposite of what they want in context of the complete sentence.
The research study referenced in the opening post ONLY only included Catholics and Protestants. It did not include Muslims or Jews. And it included atheists, agnostics, and religious "nones" who do not affiliate with any religion.

"Due to sample size limitations, this analysis does not include some smaller religious groups, including Jewish and Muslim Americans. Atheists and agnostics are the only religious groups in this analysis that are more likely to oppose the death penalty than to support it. Groups with majorities in favor of executing convicted murderers include Hispanic Catholics (61%) and people who describe themselves, religiously, as “nothing in particular” (63%). Black Protestants are divided in their views on the death penalty, with 50% in favor and 47% opposed, mirroring a broader trend of lower support for the death penalty among Black Americans overall."

source for study

So the conclusions and data from the research study ONLY apply to Christianity, because it was the only religion that was polled.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:40 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
While I believe that some people deserve to die for their crimes, the death penalty has proven far more trouble than its worth. It’s not an effective deterrent, it can’t be applied fairly, and it costs far more in court and other governmental resources, with the inherently long and drawn-out appeals process, than to simply sentence someone to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.
We will always have people committing heinous crimes. Sometimes it is mental illness. The important question that needs to be answered is what if the person was innocent? That amounts to murder. If we cannot give her her life back we cannot take it away. Almost every year we see a person who was committed to prison for major part of their life were finally able to prove their innocence and become free. More often than not they are Black men.

Quote:
The color of a defendant and victim’s skin plays a crucial and unacceptable role in deciding who receives the death penalty in America. People of color have accounted for a disproportionate 43 % of total executions since 1976 and 55 % of those currently awaiting execution. A moratorium of the death penalty is necessary to address the blatant prejudice in our application of the death penalty.
https://www.aclu.org/documents/race-...g%20execution.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:44 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The research study referenced in the opening post ONLY only included Catholics and Protestants. It did not include Muslims or Jews. And it included atheists, agnostics, and religious "nones" who do not affiliate with any religion.

"Due to sample size limitations, this analysis does not include some smaller religious groups, including Jewish and Muslim Americans. Atheists and agnostics are the only religious groups in this analysis that are more likely to oppose the death penalty than to support it. Groups with majorities in favor of executing convicted murderers include Hispanic Catholics (61%) and people who describe themselves, religiously, as “nothing in particular” (63%). Black Protestants are divided in their views on the death penalty, with 50% in favor and 47% opposed, mirroring a broader trend of lower support for the death penalty among Black Americans overall."

source for study

So the conclusions and data from the research study ONLY apply to Christianity, because it was the only religion that was polled.
Interesting research results.
Most Catholics tend to have a “live and let live” mentality, so slightly surprising there.
Perhaps the drug cartels in some Latin American countries have some influence there.
As far as other religions go, we know that places like Saudi Arabia still have the death penalty for things like blasphemy.
In some atheist countries like China, criminals may simply disappear. (and that may be with or without a fair trial).
Many Southeast Asian countries, including Singapore, have the death penalty for drug trafficking.
My own views are in opposition to the death penalty, and can’t justify it under any circumstance.
Yea we are to obey the laws of the land in any country we are in, ie “render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s”, but that doesn’t always make it right.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:51 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
My own views are in opposition to the death penalty, and can’t justify it under any circumstance.
Yea we are to obey the laws of the land in any country we are in, ie “render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s”, but that doesn’t always make it right.
The Nazi regime made certain people eligible for death penalty just for existing. Countries that had capital punishment have outlawed it. Laws don't always make sense or are moral or ethical.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:18 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We will always have people committing heinous crimes. Sometimes it is mental illness. The important question that needs to be answered is what if the person was innocent? That amounts to murder. If we cannot give her her life back we cannot take it away. Almost every year we see a person who was committed to prison for major part of their life were finally able to prove their innocence and become free. More often than not they are Black men.

https://www.aclu.org/documents/race-...g%20execution.
Which is part of the reasons why I no longer support capital punishment.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:27 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
It's ironic that the Commandment Thou Shalt Not Kill is not adhered to by religious Christians who seem to cherry pick the Commandments. Not surprising at all, but maddening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality