Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 08:35 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,529,018 times

Advertisements

Is it being gay or homosexual acts the sin? Should a gay couple that doesn't have sex be permitted to join a church? We all know older couples who sleep separately whether in the same house or perhaps one is in assisted living.

Who is to determine who is following G-d's rules? If those who say they are applying G-d's rules applied all the "rules" no one would be able to join a community of faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 09:02 AM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Suggesting that it is "another facet of human sexuality" is not the same as saying it is not sinful. If you wish to consider it good and moral, that's your prerogative. But when you make misstatements and misrepresent what the Bible says about it to unsuspecting people, I feel the need to speak up.

And it is my educated (as in 'study') understanding that you are completely mistaken. And the context of 1 Cor 6 and Romans 1 clearly state my understanding of it. But if you want to continue to hold to that idea despite being informed otherwise, then have at it.

Yes. It's clear that those that did not care to follow God's rules simply turned away and did their own thing.

Actually, Paul never mentioned the temple prostitutes in 1 Corinthians 6. You are reading your presuppositions into it.

I get it. I really do. You've probably read Matthew Vine's book, and you trust him more than virtually every reputable scholar because...well....you feel sorry for him. But that does not change the facts.
What you seem literally incapable of understanding is that not everyone in this world is a christian. And if they are not, there is no reason for them to accept the bible as their guide to moraltiy.

But even if we are talking about just people who identify as christians, you have to accept that not all are going to accept your version of christianity. And that begins with how they look at the bible. At how they look at the old testament versus the new testament. At what parts of the bible they accept as valid or invalid. You have to even understand that some christians see the bible as a book of laws and rules, while others look at it as a book guidance...and there tremendous difference between those two approaches. Not everyone sees the bible, or christianity in general, as dictatorial, just because you do. And after all, you're a sinner. You've failed. Or as a christian don't you believe that "we're all sinners"?

Old 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Is it being gay or homosexual acts the sin? Should a gay couple that doesn't have sex be permitted to join a church? We all know older couples who sleep separately whether in the same house or perhaps one is in assisted living.

Who is to determine who is following G-d's rules? If those who say they are applying G-d's rules applied all the "rules" no one would be able to join a community of faith.
We read in 1 Timothy that elders who can teach are to be appointed in a church. So your question of who determines it? It's the elders, who look to God's word who "applies the rules".

A person that claims to be homosexual goes directly against what God has created and ordained for humanity. If a couple claims to be a homosexual couple, and they state that they are a couple, any Bible-teaching church should exclude them from membership, and said couple should be put under church discipline in the hopes that they would either come to faith in Christ, or return to the faith.

This is not to suggest they be mistreated, or harmed, or hated. The same should also be said of anyone who commits adultery, or frankly, any couple that lives together prior to marriage.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:05 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What you seem literally incapable of understanding is that not everyone in this world is a christian. And if they are not, there is no reason for them to accept the bible as their guide to moraltiy.

But even if we are talking about just people who identify as christians, you have to accept that not all are going to accept your version of christianity. And that begins with how they look at the bible. At how they look at the old testament versus the new testament. At what parts of the bible they accept as valid or invalid. You have to even understand that some christians see the bible as a book of laws and rules, while others look at it as a book guidance...and there tremendous difference between those two approaches. Not everyone sees the bible, or christianity in general, as dictatorial, just because you do. And after all, you're a sinner. You've failed. Or as a christian don't you believe that "we're all sinners"?
Good grief, do you ever stop chirping?

We're having a discussion about what Christianity teaches, and what the Christian scriptures teach. If you don't want to consider yourself a Christian and want to live your own way, so be it.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:11 AM

16,711 posts, read 15,712,487 times
STOP IT!

I've already reminded you all that this thread is about finding churches for gay people. It IS NOT about whether homosexuality is defined in the Bible or whether gay marriage is OK.

We can, and will, issue infractions against anyone who can't follow simple instructions. There is a LONG thread in the Christianity forum where you can discuss Christianity and gay people.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:32 AM

11,133 posts, read 7,199,272 times
The larger the city, the more the options. I'm from a very large city (Top 5), and everything is available. That includes churches for these people, also in the non-denominational variety, with even less ties to rigid order (dogma constraints) and connections.

In contrast, I've also lived in a 100k town, with disappointing options (again, generally-speaking).

Old 03-14-2024, 07:00 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,924,251 times
It seems to me that there was no good reason to start a thread asking people from all areas of the U.S. and other countries as to what churches are 'gay approving' to enable the OP to find a suitable local church when all he/she had to do was to Google the area in which he/she lives. A couple of responses from members of C-D suggesting this would have been sufficient. It's no surprise that the thread topic quite naturally took a 'church vs gay' direction.

That said, has the OP managed to locate a 'gay affirming' church after 237 posts?

Old 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,813,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The larger the city, the more the options. I'm from a very large city (Top 5), and everything is available. That includes churches for these people, also in the non-denominational variety, with even less ties to rigid order (dogma constraints) and connections.

In contrast, I've also lived in a 100k town, with disappointing options (again, generally-speaking).
My city has a population of 110,000 and there is a church down the street with a rainbow flag. There may be others, but they’re not as public about their support and welcoming of gay people.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:33 AM

6,803 posts, read 2,924,251 times
Just putting this out there. I needed to respond to what has become an 'off-topic' post in this thread and so I transferred the response to the Christianity and the LGBT Community thread. I didn't want to risk an infraction.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:43 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,284,169 times
We were welcomed into the Presbyterian (USA) church. No restrictions, no condemnation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality