Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2024, 10:05 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Hmmm. Right here in the Charleston, WV area, the ELCA Lutheran church welcomes LGBT+ people, the Episcopal church does as well. There is a Presbyterian church within walking distance that has said publicly that they will do same sex marriages. Those are mainstream denominations. Of course, the UU church welcomes anybody, and there are a few independent churches that do as well.

For the OP, you might check for a congregation in one of those denominations.
I've never been to Charleston, so I can't really say much about that, so I'll just take your word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 11:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've never been to Charleston, so I can't really say much about that, so I'll just take your word for it.
I bet pastor Anne over at Messiah Lutheran welcomes gay people.

It drives Missouri and Wisconsin Synods crazy that ELCA is so gay friendly.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:23 AM

88,621 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Many of us have posted about churches we personally attended welcoming gay people as they are.

It's a matter of not taking the Bible literally and understanding why the strictures against LGBTQ people existed. And understanding why it is not believed that such condemnations come from God, but rather men.

That is the type of church the OP needs

Old 03-02-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It's a matter of not taking the Bible literally and understanding why the strictures against LGBTQ people existed. And understanding why it is not believed that such condemnations come from God, but rather men.
Easy now, let's not deviate off topic. This thread is about churches welcoming gay people, not a debate on if it's what God wants.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Is that a Christian church? I have no idea...never been there. But if you say so, I'll just take your word for it.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:59 AM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Is that a Christian church? I have no idea...never been there. But if you say so, I'll just take your word for it.
You have to ask that about a church called "Messiah Lutheran"?

Old 03-02-2024, 03:30 PM

88,621 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Easy now, let's not deviate off topic. This thread is about churches welcoming gay people, not a debate on if it's what God wants.
I am not debating anything nor am I talking about what God wants. I am explaining for the benefit of the OP the type of Christian church where her family will be welcome. I responded to your statement that you have never known a Christian church like that described by mensaguy. She may not have, either, so I am telling her and anyone else who wants information what type of Christian church to look for.

That is exactly the topic in response to her question in Post #1.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
Didn't know I was starting such an involved discussion. I am just looking for a family church that will accept all of my family. As far as the old testament laws are concerned, there are 613 of them. Fortunately I don't need to worry about them. As a Christian, the old testament is history, poetry and wisdom. Jesus said love God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength. Jesus said love your neighbor as yourself. Doing this is all I can handle! And don't forget, He also said 'Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone'.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:57 PM

16,683 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Quote:
Of course it's a Christian church. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is the largest Lutheran denomination in the country.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Of course it's a Christian church. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is the largest Lutheran denomination in the country.
Is it? I've never been to one. But if you say so, ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality