Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 01:19 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Should we not be free from judgement from others as Jesus himself preached, or is that another thing in bible you can ignore? It's very difficult to know which moral codes in the bible should be followed and which ones are no longer relevant, seems to be pick and choose and hope for the best.
As to whether I'm wrong, I don't particularly care - I haven't decided to live my life via this book full of contradictory rules and regulations. I'm just here for the debate.

So not Jesus saying it then? You said he mentioned it, come on. I'm waiting.
Sadly, most Christians have been taught to do just that - study and follow the scriptures instead of Jesus. They have been taught to become "Scriptians." Christians should study and follow Christ because it is the "mind of Christ" that reveals the "mind of God," NOT the scriptures. The contradictory rules and regulations disappear when their intent and underlying purpose (Spirit) are understood. That intent is to tame our savagery and mitigate our selfishness, and the underlying purpose is to foster the spirit of agape love (consideration and concern for our impact on others). The Holy Spirit IS agape love and that defines what is and is not scripture and"righteousness," IMO.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-28-2024 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 01:19 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Is there a Christian church that welcomes gays?
The answer is yes in several instances.

The most accepting tend to be the United Church of Christ and Episcopals. Many congregations of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches as well, a quick website search of those local options will confirm that via their websites with key phrases like "welcoming to all". Other less traditional church options such as the Quakers (Society of Friends) and Metroplitan Community Church are other options. Being in the South you might also investigate the Baptist church as some congregations have modernized to the welcoming 21st century vibe found in the pop-up independent churches seen everywhere.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Turns out hypocrisy is an easy trap to fall into, even for a messiah.

Matthew 7 : "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"

Now, I've provided a direct quote from the man/god himself to back my claim up. Can you do the same about Jesus mentioning homosexuality?
If you notice, the quote you provided does not say that we are never to judge. But it's a warning against judging hypocritically. Don't judge others for doing the same thing we do.

As for Jesus mentioning homosexuality?

Rom 1:26-27 "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error."

1 Cor 6:9-11 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

Old 02-28-2024, 02:31 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Rom 1:26-27 "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error."

1 Cor 6:9-11 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
Those are from Paul. Come on, this is pretty dishonest. Last I checked, Paul is not Jesus.

Is it so difficult for you to accept that Jesus never once uttered a word, or at least not a word worthy of recording in the gospels on homosexuality?

Old 02-28-2024, 03:05 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Yes, it should be, but people like the OP are looking for "churches for gays" and this is one way they can readily identify them. The professor wants it to be a non-issue, but homophobia and transphobia is an issue in many churches where he would not feel comfortable being "just a person".

Violence against LGBTQ people has increased in recent years, so the distinction is still important to some people.

Over 20 years ago, when I first went to a church convention and set up a booth for LGBT members in a conservative town, I was surprised how friendly the other church people were towards me. It wasn't until later I found out that they assumed I was part of a conversion ministry! A lot has changed since then.
On no! I would laugh if it weren't so sad.

Even though the church didn't sport a rainbow on its sign, it's still listed in the newspaper as welcoming to LGBTQ folks in a list published monthly by the area newspaper.

Yes, much has changed. In 1997, two men in our parish were united in a blessing of the union, a ceremony performed before marriage was legal. It became publicly known because they'd been in the news for a landmark court case changing the law in our state to allow unmarried couples to jointly adopt a child. Baptists picketed outside our church every Sunday for a month afterward.

Some of the problens are regional. In the NY/NJ metro these days, it's not as big a deal as in some other parts of the country.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM

6,012 posts, read 2,835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The Jesus of the Bible would not refer to your gay relatives as 'abominations' and nor would He regard anyone as 'second-class citizens'. And Jesus is the one who counts!
Correct. We don't refer to fat people as "abominations", despite clearly being gluttonous, which is a sin. Or call heartless penny pinchers "abominations", despite clearly being guilty of avarice, which is also a sin.

Jesus would not support anyone acting on their homosexuality, as God specifically forbids it, but he would never call them an "abomination" or "second-class". You can not support someone committing sin while still treating them like the human being they are.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Those are from Paul. Come on, this is pretty dishonest. Last I checked, Paul is not Jesus.

Is it so difficult for you to accept that Jesus never once uttered a word, or at least not a word worthy of recording in the gospels on homosexuality?
And all Scripture is God-breathed. Paul was writing the words of God. And Jesus is God. Try to understand what Christianity teaches. 1 Cor and Romans is every bit as much the words of Jesus as any verse in the Gospels.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:46 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:

Jesus did, however, define marriage.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:38 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Jesus did, however, define marriage.
Who cares? Certainly not those of us who are not christian.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:44 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If you notice, the quote you provided does not say that we are never to judge. But it's a warning against judging hypocritically. Don't judge others for doing the same thing we do.

Those are the sayings of Paul, not of Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality