Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 08:18 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Some years ago, the Mount Louisa Uniting Church here in Townsville chose to welcome gay people into its community. This decision led to a division between the church members, some opting to show their disapproval by leaving and forming an offshoot church. This made the local news at the time, but I haven't heard anything more since then.

I would think that few churches would not welcome gay people into their fold, but I also would think that the church would not show 'approval' of what they would consider to be 'a gay lifestyle.' This would therefore likely result in an uncomfortable and awkward atmosphere for both the gay person/s and the other church attendees.
LMAO! That happens a lot in the U.S. "christian" churches. There was a church in Midland, Tx that was independent and very popular but after about 5 years there was some divisive stuff and half the congregation walked out and made their own church. 5 years later that "new" church split again, by the 80's when I lived there the splits had happened 3 times.

In Albuquerque we have a huge baptist church that kept getting in trouble so they became a non-denominational church in order to keep their congregation and recruit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 08:36 AM

19,968 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
LMAO! That happens a lot in the U.S. "christian" churches. There was a church in Midland, Tx that was independent and very popular but after about 5 years there was some divisive stuff and half the congregation walked out and made their own church. 5 years later that "new" church split again, by the 80's when I lived there the splits had happened 3 times.

In Albuquerque we have a huge baptist church that kept getting in trouble so they became a non-denominational church in order to keep their congregation and recruit more.
Church "splits" are super common in non-denominational churches especially ... although larger denominations have split, e.g., the Lutherans. And merged, in fairness -- the Unitarian Universalist denomination is a 1960 merger of those two denominations.

I attended a Bible Church in a town of 750 served by 4 churches. We had split in the 1950s from the local Baptist church, over a kerfuffle that was, on the surface, about what color carpeting should go into the new sanctuary, but was in fact doubtless just surfacing deeper conflicts and animosities in the membership. We ourselves suffered a split in the 1970s, although the other faction literally left town with the new pastor and we got the facilities back.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:48 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You mean "Town Town"? Yes, it would be redundant if not named after Robert Towns in 1866. So, it's actually "Towns Town". However, "Towns -Ville" rolls off the tongue more comfortably.
Ah, I thought it might be something like that.

Similarly, we have the Outerbridge Crossing, a bridge connecting Staten Island, NY, and Perth Amboy, NJ. It was named for Eugenius Outerbridge, the first chairman of the agency that built and operates the bridge. Outerbridge Bridge would have sounded funny.

OK, back to "churches for gays"...

Old 02-19-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You'd be welcome to attend just about any church I've ever gone to. Or do you mean one that would affirm the sin of homosexuality, as well?
So NOT this poster's church, OP.

Not all churches regard one's sexuality as a sin but rather as a part of you, like being left-handed.

But you know what they say, hate the religion but love the religious. It can be difficult, but they are our neighbors, too.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:09 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
Quote:
You'd be welcome to attend just about any church I've ever gone to. Or do you mean one that would affirm the sin of homosexuality, as well?
Gosh, I wonder why some would feel uncomfortable being welcomed somewhere where their sexuality was deemed a sin? A puzzler for sure.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Not all churches regard one's sexuality as a sin but rather as a part of you, like being left-handed.

But you know what they say, hate the religion but love the religious. It can be difficult, but they are our neighbors, too.
What if a church doesn't have the authority to define that?

And no one is suggesting that we hate anyone. Please be tolerant of others that disagree with you. A key component of Christianity is that we should be striving to put off our sin and live for Christ.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
What if a church doesn't have the authority to define that?

And no one is suggesting that we hate anyone.
Nowhere did I say you hate anyone. In fact, I clearly said quite the opposite.

Quote:
Please be tolerant of others that disagree with you. A key component of Christianity is that we should be striving to put off our sin and live for Christ.
That's exactly what I said in my last sentence. We have to strive to be tolerant of those whose religious views are different from ours.

I think you misread my post.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Gosh, I wonder why some would feel uncomfortable being welcomed somewhere where their sexuality was deemed a sin? A puzzler for sure.
Why do you believe that a religion should compromise its beliefs because a group that want to adhere to said beliefs?

Old 02-19-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Nowhere did I say you hate anyone. In fact, I clearly said quite the opposite.
I sincerely apologize if that was not what you meant. I honestly misunderstood you, and I'm glad you don't believe we hate gay people.
Quote:

That's exactly what I said in my last sentence. We have to strive to be tolerant of those whose religious views are different from ours.

I think you misread my post.
Yes, we do. I don't hate someone because I believe my religion says their behavior is wrong.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:00 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:

LOL Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality