Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 07:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that shows us where you mind is. There was no need to bring politics into this discussion re morality.
I wasn't mentioning politics. I was talking about your similarity to a group that loves to attack fascists, as long as they get to judge who the fascist is.

In the same way, you love to attack the evil "Fundamentalists", as long as YOU are the one judging who they are. It's all very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 07:28 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The Bible does prohibit homosexuality.
It prohibits a whole bunch of stuff that I'm sure you do on a regular basis. Blended fibers, have you ever worn denim? The eating of unclean animals - who doesn't love a pork chop?

Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

And I'm sure you'll tell me that those old testament laws no longer apply, however Jesus spoke a whole lot more about the judgement of others than he ever did about homosexuality.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:15 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
It prohibits a whole bunch of stuff that I'm sure you do on a regular basis. Blended fibers, have you ever worn denim? The eating of unclean animals - who doesn't love a pork chop?

Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

And I'm sure you'll tell me that those old testament laws no longer apply, however Jesus spoke a whole lot more about the judgement of others than he ever did about homosexuality.
This is where we cross check the OT and it's laws to what was said in the NT. I think Paul went on a couple of rants about gay folk in the NT. So the prohibition against Gayness gets to stick. And Paul vaguely said it was ok to eat stuff that had been against the rules before. So you can pretty much toss all the dietary stuff out. Not sure Paul ever weighed in on fabric thing.

But Jesus died so that the law was no longer binding. So you can toss that law about blended fabrics on the scrap heap. And if Paul hadn't spoken up about it... the law against homosexuality might have gone out the window with all those OT laws as well.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:23 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
I wasn't mentioning politics. I was talking about your similarity to a group that loves to attack fascists, as long as they get to judge who the fascist is.

In the same way, you love to attack the evil "Fundamentalists", as long as YOU are the one judging who they are. It's all very convenient.
This discussion has nothing to do with fascism.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
But Jesus died so that the law was no longer binding. So you can toss that law about blended fabrics on the scrap heap. And if Paul hadn't spoken up about it... the law against homosexuality might have gone out the window with all those OT laws as well.
When did Paul become something more than just a man like you or I? He is a sinner, someone prone to the same things we are prone to, biases, judgements, jealousies etc. According to him, women shouldn't be in leadership positions in the church either, are we to adhere to that in this day and age? (If indeed Paul wrote them, some scholars think Ephesians 1 Timothy 2 Timothy and Titus may be pseudepigrapha - i.e. not written by Paul).

I think Jesus would have spoken about it if he thought it necessary. Jesus the man seems less concerned about the judgement of others and speaks more of introspection, it's outside his words and time on this earth we see men writing of judging others.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:38 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
I would say that it would be necessary to attend a handful of churches to see what the best fit is. Isn't that what others do when they move to an area, and aren't denomination specific in their search?

Also, a lot of people act sort of weird toward strangers to begin with, no reason in particular, just the checking you out stage. And, there will always be people that just for some reason or no reason at all not connect with someone else.

I see no other way than to attend some churches and check them out. Many have things in their official doctrine that are ignored in the individual churches.

I believe that the Bible is open to interpretation in some areas, but not that Jesus was here to "abolish the Law or the Prophets".

https://www.bibleref.com/Matthew/5/M...fulfill%20them.

"Matthew 5:17"

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

So, I don't think anyone has "twisted" the Bible as much as they have dropped certain parts. My brother went to a new church carrying his Bible, and was told "We don't allow people to bring in Bible's." Yeah, what is up with that. I remember as a child that the minister would have those with a Bible read along as he would read certain passages.

OP will need to go with an open mind and check them out, always remembering that many are suspicious of newcomers, and that just because they don't act all warm and fuzzy doesn't mean they are passing judgement. Thinking someone must be gay? No, they were only wondering where they got that nice jacket.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Where? I'm not aware of any verse that prohibits those things for Christians
Quote:
Why do you rip a passage out of context?
Quote:
But he did speak about it.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This discussion has nothing to do with fascism.
It has everything to do with the one judging being the one defining the actions of others, though. And that is exactly what you are doing. And it's convenient for someone to be able to define the thing they feel self-righteous about, isn't it?

Old 02-28-2024, 09:53 AM

It's not out of context at all, it's literally about looking at your own "faults" before pointing out others'.

Please enlighten me with when Jesus spoke about homosexuality directly, go ahead.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:02 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
It has everything to do with the one judging being the one defining the actions of others, though. And that is exactly what you are doing. And it's convenient for someone to be able to define the thing they feel self-righteous about, isn't it?
bigotry is a sin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality