Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2024, 08:15 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
What I have noticed in recent times is that fewer Christians seem to be using the Leviticus texts with which to condemn homosexuality and rather prefer to use the two or three male/male sex prohibitions from the New Testament's Paul to condemn homosexuality. Perhaps they are now beginning to realize that the commands of the barbaric God of the Old Testament don't hold too much appeal - i.e., death by stoning! - for most Christians nowadays. We DO seem to be progressing in SOME areas at least.
That's because of people that have twisted the meaning of it to tell them it doesn't say what it actually says. I suppose once the false teachers come up with a way to twist the NT passages, then a lot of folks will abandon them, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 08:50 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Who is discussing politics?

OK? I didn't bring it up.

I certainly have not been spewing any venom. But I refuse to be attacked without defending myself.

So we should ignore what the Bible says on a religious message board?

Please be ready to give that same consideration to those you disagree with.
1. Venom seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
2. "We should ignore what the Bible says..." Those of us who are not bible-believers should certainly not adhere to any beliefs in that fairy tale book. Now, of course, people like you should adhere to every passage in the bible...whether you believe that particular passage or not (unless you're confessing that you pick and choose ala carte style).

Old 03-01-2024, 08:56 AM

Trend in christianity:

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...homosexuality/

Old 03-01-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Venom seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
Yes, venom is in the eye of the beholder. You spew quite a bit of it, then you complain about others who post things that offend you.

Quote:

2. "We should ignore what the Bible says..." Those of us who are not bible-believers should certainly not adhere to any beliefs in that fairy tale book. Now, of course, people like you should adhere to every passage in the bible...whether you believe that particular passage or not (unless you're confessing that you pick and choose ala carte style).
That's quite an accusation. Please demonstrate that I have not.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:13 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Until the countless evangelical pastors who have been caught in adultery have plucked out their eyes and chopped off their hands (as Jesus said to, according to Matthew), then I won't take them or their fundamentalist followers seriously.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:32 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
That passage does not invalidate the standards for a pastor or elder.

There is zero evidence that Phoebe or any woman held the office of deacon or elder. No matter how you translate the word "servant"
He literally used the word Deacon in the oldest extant versions of the text. The use of 'servant' is an erroneous translation and, quite frankly, dishonest. Everything else is just mental gymnastics on your part.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
He literally used the word Deacon in the oldest extant versions of the text. The use of 'servant' is an erroneous translation and, quite frankly, dishonest. Everything else is just mental gymnastics on your part.

In the context, it was not speaking of "a deacon", meaning the office of. It was speaking of her being a servant. That said, so what? You want to believe a woman can be a deaconness? Ok.

But let's look at the facts of what 1 Timothy establishes. Deacons are not elders. They are not intended to be teachers and spiritual leaders. That's an elder's job.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Until the countless evangelical pastors who have been caught in adultery have plucked out their eyes and chopped off their hands (as Jesus said to, according to Matthew), then I won't take them or their fundamentalist followers seriously.

A pastor or elder who commits adultery is unqualified to serve in the role. That is an established fact. But there is nothing in the Bible that tells us that we should cut hands off or gouge eyes out for it.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, venom is in the eye of the beholder. You spew quite a bit of it, then you complain about others who post things that offend you.

That's quite an accusation. Please demonstrate that I have not.
Even in this thread others have posted that you pick and choose.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Even in this thread others have posted that you pick and choose.
I'm ok with those that can't understand the idea of context suggesting that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality