Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 04:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,293,034 times

Advertisements

WOW. Didn't see this coming. The United Methodist church is now accepting gays!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 06:49 PM

51,074 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
WOW. Didn't see this coming. The United Methodist church is now accepting gays!!!!!
Yes, I read an article yesterday. And apparently can be ordained. (Is that the right term?)

Old 05-03-2024, 10:51 PM

88,853 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, I read an article yesterday. And apparently can be ordained. (Is that the right term?)
I think so. The Episcopal Church ordains its priests, and since the Methodist Church was an offshoot of the Church of England, they probably also use the term ordination, although I don't think they have priests. Ministers, maybe, or pastors.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:29 PM

6,816 posts, read 2,943,702 times
Why emphasize a 'church for gays' anyway? They're just people like everyone else. We might just as well say, 'a church for those to whom we attach a (usually) derogative label'. How about 'a church for pious -r-c-s'?

^ That one might have you guessing.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:47 PM

51,074 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Why emphasize a 'church for gays' anyway? They're just people like everyone else. We might just as well say, 'a church for those to whom we attach a (usually) derogative label'. How about 'a church for pious -r-c-s'?

I think the reason is pretty simple -- there are churches that think gay people will go to hell for an eternity. I'd say that's a pretty good reason.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Obviously she means a church that accepts gay people as they are. No need to get fussy over word usage on a message board.

And this is coming from a person who is fussy over word usage when it's appropriate to be fussy.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I think the reason is pretty simple -- there are churches that think gay people will go to hell for an eternity. I'd say that's a pretty good reason.
And the thread that Romulus most posts in on Christianity was begun by a young man whose family AND church kicked him to the curb because he was gay. He even tried their conversion therapy--twice--under the threat that he would be cut off if he didn't change.

And now he has no family, with his church actively participating in his estrangement from them.

That's why people like Countrysue ask that question.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:48 AM

1,009 posts, read 560,221 times
+1 For the Methodist Church.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:59 AM

9,409 posts, read 13,065,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Quote:
I didn’t realize the UMC had lagged so far behind the other major mainline Protestant denominations on LGBTQ+ issues. So I learned something new today, and I’m glad I could do so by virtue of a great leap forward.

Quote:
Absolutely. Non-Orthodox Jewish denominations have made the same positive strides as their mainline Protestant counterparts, although I’m sure that in the same vein YMMV depending on the congregation. At our UCJ-affiliated synagogue, our lesbian rabbi is well-beloved, and (probably not coincidentally) we have a fair number of LGBTQ+ families.

Old 05-04-2024, 01:30 PM

5,590 posts, read 3,984,674 times
Quote:
Off-topic also but here are some pics of Towns Town:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...HDRSC3&first=1
I always assumed 'Townsville' was made up, just a way to avoid disclosing your location. Those pictures make it look quite nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality