Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 04:50 AM

7,001 posts, read 6,926,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think so. The Episcopal Church ordains its priests, and since the Methodist Church was an offshoot of the Church of England, they probably also use the term ordination, although I don't think they have priests. Ministers, maybe, or pastors.
Church of England have "vicars" at the church level. As far as I know, Methodist churches have "Ministers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 10:19 AM

88,853 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Church of England have "vicars" at the church level. As far as I know, Methodist churches have "Ministers".
Yes, I find it interesting that we don't use "vicar" in the Episcopal Church, which is the American direct descendant of the COE. We have priests and rectors in individual parishes.

As a sidebar, a friend of mine is the rector of a an Episcopal Church that was founded in the early 18th century by the Church of England's Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Lands. She is the first woman rector of the church (and has been there for about 25 years now). Those old founders from the Society must be spinning in their graves.

Old 05-18-2024, 05:44 AM

136 posts, read 28,349 times
It is kind of hypocritical for one group of sinners to tell another group of sinners that God hates them sinners are sinners and all must come to Christ no one should stand in the way blocking sinners.The church is for sinners not the righteous.Some want righteous people only in church kicking out the sinners losing the whole purpose of the church.Its a gospel of hope not damnation.Everyone was already condemned in the fall if you know your bible so your in the same position worry about your own salvation and let sinners come to God..

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

37,550 posts, read 61,602,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Is there a Christian church that welcomes gays?
I would think that all churches should be welcoming to all Freds, Johns and Gays.

Even a few Marvins.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

6,816 posts, read 2,943,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would think that all churches should be welcoming to all Freds, Johns and Gays.

Even a few Marvins.
Oh, that's right. For those who don't know, you're Gay ...as in that being your given name.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Oh, that's right. For those who don't know, you're Gay ...as in that being your given name.
Yes, I am Gay

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am Gay
And many of us accept you 'as is'.

Old Today, 06:55 PM

88,853 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Yes, I am Gay
I went to school with a girl named Gay. She has changed her name to her middle name now.

Old Today, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I went to school with a girl named Gay. She has changed her name to her middle name now.
I went by my middle name for most of my life.

I remember when my bride sent out wedding invitations, she printed my first name on them. All our friends were left asking us when that man was.

Old Today, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I went by my middle name for most of my life.

I remember when my bride sent out wedding invitations, she printed my first name on them. All our friends were left asking us when that man was.
Did you ever ask your parents why they named you 'Gay'? I mean, even though 'gay' back then was probably not synonymous with 'homosexual' as it is today, it's still a rather unusual name to give to a male person, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality