Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times

Advertisements

Rob, welcome to the sacred circle, I too had one of those "garbage moments" last night, I took the two small dogs I have out in the front yard before turning in for the evening and up here in the mountains the sky is real clear and it seems like you can see forever, the moon was very bright last night and it lit up the meadows above me and I saw a very beautiful sight of a doe and her two fawns making their way up through one of the meadows by the moonlight, it was a beautiful sight and everything seemed at peace. I am constantly amazed and humbled by all living things that surrounds me here in the mountains, it gives one a new perspective on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Rob, I know what you mean.

Many years ago I was hitchhiking across Canada. I was on Bank Street in Ottawa Ontario and was trying to get to the area around the Parliament Buildings. I stopped and watched the sun go down. Just a few minutes but the sky was spectacular. Aross the street from me was a guy trying to get a tire to cooperate. He was working as a tire changer, and this particular tire was giving him fits. All while the sky was exploding in colors and the day was closing, he was cussing and carrying on. I really believe that had he taken a "garbage moment" the tire problem would have disappeared. but he gave power to the frustration and anger instead of taking the garbage moment and letting it give him power......and it cost him dearly.

Tonight I arrived home and reacquainted myself with my animals. I fed the cows, threw some feed to the chickens, fed the dogs......have you ever noticed how dogs love you? The love of a dog for his family has to be the closest thing to the love of the creator for us that exists. Unabashed, undemanding, pure........I pulled into the the yard and every dog I have was ecstatic....they jumped they howled, they played with each other......all while I am unloading the truck........every one of them had a smile on their face.

Goodpasture, it's always good to be back among those who are familiar to you and who offer love and friendship unconditionally.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
...\!!
wherever, whenever congratulations are in order.

YouTube - Discover Oklahoma - Miss Blues

Old 09-05-2009, 10:35 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Effie, interesting you mention Miss Blues while our own Miss Blue is now a mod.............

Oklahoma has a long tradition of Blues and Jazz. It may not be as well known by the common listener, but we do have a Jazz Hall of Fame honoring those Oklahoman's who have made major contributions to Jazz.

Quote:
The mission of the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame is to inspire creativity and improve the quality of life for all Oklahomans through preservation, education and performance of jazz, our uniquely American art form.
  • To promote, preserve, and illuminate the true art forms of jazz, blues and gospel music. Also to identify, document and honor the Oklahoma musicians who have made significant contributions locally, regionally, nationally and internationally to its development.
  • To promote educational learning, training, classes and cultural events with and on behalf of youth of all races, creeds, religions and ethnic heritage, especially those who are socially and economically disadvantaged.
  • Provide scholarships for graduating seniors.

"Creating Unity Through Music"
http://www.okjazz.org/internal/index.cfm?id=8 (broken link)

We recently lost one of our favorites to cancer:

YouTube - Wayman Tisdale ~ Get Down On It HQ AUDIO (R.I.P)

Wayman was a really great person, from NBA stardom to the jazz venues.....but apples don't fall far from the trees......his dad, The Reverend L. L. Tisdale, was a pastor of such importance in the African American Community, Tulsa named an expressway for him long before they named one for Dr King. I met Wayman years ago when he was playing High School ball......and from that day to the day he died he was smiling, lighting up rooms with his presence, and extending himself to his community........a truly great man I was honored to call a friend.

YouTube - Wayman Tisdale's battle with cancer

If you watch the second video, look at his smile, the courage, the emotions as he discusses the amputation of his leg. His spirit was undefeated by his illness.

Here is a last music video, recorded with a fellow Okie, Toby Keith.

YouTube - Wayman Tisdale " Never Gonna Give You Up" 2008

Oklahoma Jazz is alive and well, even when we lose a good friend and artist........

Last edited by Goodpasture; 09-05-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 PM

<couldn't get.. more blue....in absentia>

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
I love this post. Every once in a while we get those moments when life's beauty just hits us between the eyes and we feel amazement and wonder at the creation around us.

Very cool, Rob Allen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Last night I had a "Garbage Moment".

The phrase comes from the newspaper comic strip "Rose is Rose". When Rose's husband Jimbo takes out the garbage at night, he stops for a moment to look at the sky and contemplate the universe. He calls it a "Garbage Moment".

Many of us who live in the suburbs recognize this experience; for many it's one of the few times that they do step out of their busy lives and have a moment of solitude, seek a larger perspective and/or an experience of natural beauty.

Last night I took out the garbage, and looked up. The moon was full, or very close to it. There were high, thin orange/purple clouds over the lower half of the sky, up to the moon. The clouds were so thin that the brightness of the the moon shone right thru them undiminished, which made it look like the moon was between me and the clouds. It was startling; I had to stand there and watch until the clouds blew clear of the moon.

Just as Rose does in the comics, my wife understands the Garbage Moment and does not ask me why it takes 5-10 minutes to take out the garbage.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM

will this (2) help..

Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 AM

The other morning, at about 5 a.m. when I let the dogs out for a little run, this was my "garbage moment", don't know how clear these pictures are, however this is the moon setting over the mountains here. Hope you enjoy them.
Attached Thumbnails
Who will sit with me within the sacred circle-chipmonk-002.jpg   Who will sit with me within the sacred circle-chipmonk-003.jpg  

Old 09-07-2009, 12:47 PM

I was reading another thread today. And the person appears to live in fear. And I have to wonder why.

I was reading a bit this morning from the Cherokee Book of Days by Joyce Hifler. It is a "thought for the day" type book and is a collection of many musings about life and our world followed by a quote from an historic Native American.

Quote:
The habitual comfort of a familiar place keeps us where we are-even when we are not happy there. The hurt of leaving something we have grown accustomed to makes it more difficult.
Then it says

Quote:
It is a slow, strange unraveling of old a no da nv te s gv, ways of thinking and doing. But one day we look back and wonder why it took so long when being free and joyfully alive is so good.
Quote:
While feeling compassion for you in the sweetness of out repose, we wonder at the anxieties and cares which you give yourself........Gaspesian Chief
I suppose, sometimes fear, when familiar, causes less anxiety than the unknowns of freedom from fear......but it angers me when I hear of fear being used as a religious tool to control those who really want to know the love of the creator..................

Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 PM

For some reason this is the only place on the net that I feel comfortable sharing these feelings and discoveries.....I hope my incessant postings don't drive away the many good people that visit here..........if it gets to be too much, let me know.

I was listening to Loreena McKennitt's "the Mists of Avalon"

YouTube - Loreena Mckennitt - The Mists of Avalon

Quote:
Avalon faded from the world of men...
...and only Glastonbury marked where its wonders had been.
The Saxons overran Britain and made it their own...
...and the Goddess was forgotten.
Or so l was convinced for many years.
Virgin Mary...
...Mother of God, pray for me.
Until at last l realized the Goddess had survived.
She had not been destroyed...
...but had simply adopted another incarnation.
And perhaps, one day...
...future generations will be able to bring her back...
...as we knew her...
...in the glory of Avalon.
Mists Of Avalon Script - transcript from the screenplay and/or Joan Allen, Julianna Marguiles, and Anjelica Huston movie miniseries

the mix of traditions, just within my own family, my own skin, show that despite the names given the gods and goddesses, the faiths are very similar.......whether it is the Gods of Hawaii, the Goddess of the Celts, the teachings of my Cherokee grandmother about the old Gods, or my contemporary roots in Christianity........they are similar and, if the full history of each is studied, do not contradict each other........and can exist in harmony with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality