Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Video: Kenwood group constructs buildings and ceremonial ground

Video: Kenwood group constructs buildings and ceremonial ground

It is good to see our people returning to those traditions and values that make us the Tsa La Ghi........................

I agree. I find it so heart-breaking to see so many cultures, languages and traditions around the world disappearing ( those who haven't already) .

I personally prefer to live in a polychrome world, of cultural diversity , far more interesting. I also find it terribly sad how very few people have any intellectual curiosity about "the other" whatever "the other" means .

By learning to understand other cultures we can truly awaken our soul to our shared humanity and it upsets me that our monoculture of multinationals and sameness has spread to such an extent that we are blind to the socio-cultural richness of our beautiful Planet. We are becoming a bland insipid human variety grown for convenience rather than beauty or variety . What a shame.

We have tried to eradicate all our differences and the price is one I cannot bear to contemplate. Not only an environmental cost but also an intellectual and cultural one .

Every story of every people is fascinating, an insight into how we have all evolved differently and yet belonging to the same human race in all its wondrous developments .

Many people look and do not see. They listen but do not hear. I see that all the time when I travel. Very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
. pre . size . ly .

they.

4 instance

http://www.firstpeople.us/web-graphi...nds-2/007.html

Last edited by effie g-tad; 08-19-2009 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: just . asking . . . .

Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree. I find it so heart-breaking to see so many cultures, languages and traditions around the world disappearing ( those who haven't already) .

I personally prefer to live in a polychrome world, of cultural diversity , far more interesting. I also find it terribly sad how very few people have any intellectual curiosity about "the other" whatever "the other" means .
We are not supposed to lose the cultures that evolved . . . but we are supposed to civilize their treatment of others and respect the human rights and equality of all. The refusal to do that usually results in repression and subsequent eradication of the underlying culture itself rather than just "humanizing" the social contract. Primitive and barbaric treatment of others is unacceptable regardless of the cultural reasoning or explanation for it. It is a shame that the barbarity cannot be removed without changing the underlying culture.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Religion in and of itself is not a bad thing, it has its good intentions, it is only when it is applied in a bad way and abused by certain individuals who are in powerful positions does it become detrimental to it's followers and culture and it makes no difference what name you give the religion, be it the Christian religion, Judaism, or Muslim, all religions have its good intentions it's only when those individuals use it for their own personal agendas does it become bad.

Last edited by ptsum; 08-23-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
It's good to see you again Ptsum..I hope your vacaion was a great relaxing one

Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
It's good to see you again Ptsum..I hope your vacaion was a great relaxing one
Thank you Miss Blue,it was an interesting journey,renewed old acquaintances, met many generations of my family both old and new,perform a very inspiring ceremony for my niece's house and she was very pleased even with her orange kitchen.....met some new and interesting people and had some relaxing time with family,which is always good but it's always good to be back on familiar ground.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Religion in and of itself is not a bad thing, it has its good intentions, it is only when it is applied in a bad way and abused by certain individuals who are in powerful positions does it become detrimental to it's followers and culture and it makes no difference what name you give the religion, be it the Christian religion, Judaism, or Muslim, all religions have its good intentions it's only when those individuals use it for their own personal agendas does it become bad.
Hey Ptsum! It's good to see you again.

I agree with your above statement. There is another thread that asked the question about what a cult is. My basic answer was that it is a group that entices one to join, tries to control one's thinking, and threatens one, (be it spiritually, physically, or emotionally), if one tries to leave. That's not to say that there are not good people in the many different belief systems/religions, but if that religion is being used to control/abuse it's followers, (or anyone else), then something is drastically wrong.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Hey Ptsum! It's good to see you again.

I agree with your above statement. There is another thread that asked the question about what a cult is. My basic answer was that it is a group that entices one to join, tries to control one's thinking, and threatens one, (be it spiritually, physically, or emotionally), if one tries to leave. That's not to say that there are not good people in the many different belief systems/religions, but if that religion is being used to control/abuse it's followers, (or anyone else), then something is drastically wrong.
Ahhh,CelticLady,it is always good to see you here and I agree with your statement about cults,it is a shame that the word "cult" is associated with such negative thinking,it is something that we ourselves have done,we have taken certain words and have come up with certain connotations that make them negative,in some cases a cult can be good,it can take individuals of like thinking and bring them together to do good,it is only when the negative happens that so much attention is applied to it and when that happens we think the worst,I know that the belief in Wicca is believed to be a cult and yet they have done no harm to anybody,as a matter of fact the first law of Wicca is to do no harm and yet a lot of harm is done to the members of that belief because it is believed to be a cult and is misunderstood,it's all in how we interpret it.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
I have been on the road a lot lately and have not had the opportunity to post.

I know several wiccans as well as pagans and heathens and find them as spiritual as anyone else. Inevitably when a faith become institutionalized it becomes a man made faith and thus a matter of pride and self interest. I think this is one reason the creator likes having a one on one relationship. anything involving two people (or more) becomes a people thing, and the creator gets lost in the shuffle.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:54 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
thank you, Goodpasture: words can become very transparent. and the law either a bright light beyond, or the common aggressive density and darkness.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality