Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I watched the film, "Into Great Silence" and was reminded of how silence and solitude can be conducive to contemplation. Contemplating the vastness of the universe and our small place within that vastness and our relationships with the vast unknown.

I went to a spiritual retreat this past weekend and it was so nice to meet people who are quietly going about their lives in a quiet, respectful manner.

Reminds me of the olden days when young men went on a vision quest.

Sit on a mountainside and fast and pray for four days. The journey into great silence is still being practiced. Although on a much lesser scale.

YouTube - Twelve Moons - Jan Garbarek

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
I left Tulsa International Airport Friday at 4:00 PM. Arrived in Phoenix AZ around 8. Picked up a truck I had bought through EBay, and began the 1200+/- mile drive home. Napped a little on the way and arrived home about 1AM on Sunday morning. Although the trip was all Interstate, the variety of scenery was awesome. Watching the sunrise over Mt Taylor in New Mexico, I could well imagine the Navajo shamen holding that as a creation place. What magic and mysticism that mountain holds. The vast deserts of eastern Arizona and eastern New Mexico. The sawtooth outcroppings of Gallup. The Malpais lava flow and the perpetual ice cave buried deep in the rocks. The tall pines of the Sandia's. The flat expanse of the Texas Panhandle, and the final drive into eastern Oklahoma, lush, green, water everywhere........

We in the United States are so blessed in so many ways.......and unlike many areas of the world, we are not so crowded that we cannot get out, walk a little ways, and be in a place where the modern world does not exist, and the creator can speak and be heard......

Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Goodpasture, sounds like a wonderful trip, and you are so right that we are blessed.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

\!!

YouTube - Communication - Second Moon

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 PM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times
Hello my friends, I am checking in to see you tonite. I am fine, in case you wonder. I live in my truck for now, but am moving to get the other eye operation I need to see right again. I am feeling great. My daughter is in college now, yea! I could not be more proud. Thank God! Life is good. I love you and miss you all. I will be back soon.
k

Old 08-12-2009, 09:07 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
Hello my friends, I am checking in to see you tonite. I am fine, in case you wonder. I live in my truck for now, but am moving to get the other eye operation I need to see right again. I am feeling great. My daughter is in college now, yea! I could not be more proud. Thank God! Life is good. I love you and miss you all. I will be back soon.
k
You take care of yourself and I'll pray that the Creator looks over you and your daughter and it's good to be proud of her.

I have a journey that I have to take towards the rising Sun, a journey to be with family, to renew old acquaintances and friendships and to give a protection ceremony for my nieces new-home, she has requested me to do this for her, so I will be absent from here for about a week and a half but look forward to coming back with renewed spirit and sitting amongst all of you here again.osay

Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM

So much going on...........

Angel, I'll ask the creator to watch over you as well. I hope all turns out well. Being proud of your daughter ( and letting her know it) is a major step in giving her confidence to complete her course.

ptsum, blessing a house is so very important. There are spirits out there (Christians call them demons) that can infest a place with negativity, anger, disharmony, depression, and malaise of all types. Casting out these spirits, binding them so they don't return, and making the place attractive to good spirits can make all the difference in the feel of a home or place. It is good that you provide this service. Too often this blessing of a place does not happen and the people inhabiting it are constantly challenged by the negative spirits. Once upon a time it was common for a visitor, upon entering a house or a place, to call upon the spirits with a statement such as "Bless all in this house." If you recall the John Wayne movie "The Quiet Man" at the very end of the movie, when Wayne and his new brother-in-law came to Wayne's house the brother-in-law made that statement just before his sister (Maureen O'Hara) told him to wipe his shoes. In past generations this was traditional.....not so much today.....to our detriment.

I was fortunate today. I had been subpoenaed as a witness in a disciplinary hearing for an appraiser in our state. I quit being involved in such things about 18 months ago because I felt it was not in anyone's interest for me to give testimony against someone I might have in class. I was notified last Friday that I would need to appear this morning at 9:30 in the OREAB Conference room. I was not looking forward to this because in the past 18 months, I have had one of the defendants in class more than once. The young lady is competent, had had some bad training, but, through some up grade classes and discussions on ethics in class had learned what was and was not acceptable. What she had done 2 years ago was not the quality of work she is doing now........and that is the purpose of education.....to make one better at what they do. Consequently I was dreading appearing and testifying that yes, this work was in violation of the law for appraisers, and was thinking of ways to introduce the fact that what she did before is not what she was doing now. I feel our focus should be on making appraisers better, not punishing them for errors made when they first got started. At any rate, I got an email late yesterday saying they hearing had been cancelled......that the appraisers had reached an agreement as to penalties and pleaded "nolo contedre." This leaves me in the position of being able to continue to have her in class on occasion and provide guidance without her being resentful of me......hopefully.

I thank you all for allowing me to share my life, and for you allowing me share yours and ask the creator to bring harmoney and peace to each of your lives. If you haven't read this thread, you might look at it.....ptsum makes an excellent observation........https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...h-walkers.html

Consider applying it to your lives on a day to day, minute by minute basis. Make such a path a part of your life and your joy and happiness will increase expotentially............Osyio

Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Video: Kenwood group constructs buildings and ceremonial ground

Video: Kenwood group constructs buildings and ceremonial ground

Quote:
KENWOOD, Okla. – On a wooded patch of property near this small Delaware County town, two community buildings and a ceremonial ground are taking shape.

The smaller building – a straw bale structure – is covered with a mixture of mud, dirt, water, sand and straw. The larger one – a green pole barn – is used as the main community building.

Dawnena Mackey, a Cherokee citizen and Kenwood community project director, said the straw bale building would contain the community group’s showers and restrooms. She said it uses solar power and is the only one of its kind in the area.

The larger community building isn’t solar powered yet, Mackey said, but it is something the group plans to have when it becomes cost effective. Though not complete, the building is used for meetings and the group plans to open it for community use.

“We want anybody in the community to feel like they can use it,” Mackey said.

She said the building could also be used as a refuge for people needing help during a natural disaster such as recent ice storms that knocked out electricity in much of eastern Oklahoma.
Quote:
On the back of the property is a ceremonial or stomp ground, where dancing is performed around a fire. Mackey said a ceremonial ground existed in Kenwood until the 1950s when the ceremonial fire was moved to nearby Strang and then to Vian where it remains today. The Kenwood group uses the ceremonial area for Cherokee stomp dances once a month.
Quote:
We felt like our Cherokee community needed something like that again – a place to go, a place for community to gather, a place to eat, a place to pray together – something more cultural,” Mackey said.

She said the community group intends to clear an area to play stickball, complete with a pole with a fish on top, as well as make arbors for the stomp ground area. The group also wants to build a council house, possibly made of straw bale since the material is the closest thing to the material used by ancient Cherokees to build and cover structures.
It is good to see our people returning to those traditions and values that make us the Tsa La Ghi........................

Old 08-15-2009, 10:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An9Iz56hAos

Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 AM

tell-tale learning earns you nothing. returning favors, for a change.

YouTube - Steve Martin banjo, frailing, clawhammer medly - Loch Lomond Sally Anne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality