Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,911,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I don't follow the logic. But it's all good!
You don't follow the logic that Adam is part of Jesus' genealogy so it's quite necessary for him to be real????

If your grandpa never existed, you wouldn't be here.

Is that easier to follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,303,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
How about this....

If Adam is allegory and metaphor, so is Jesus...

From Luke 3, the genealogy of a Christian's Lord and Savior...(BOLDED AREAS FOR THOSE PROCLAIMING ADAM AS ALLEGORY)

Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph,
the son of Heli, the son of Matthat,
the son of Levi, the son of Melki,
the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph,
the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos,
the son of Nahum, the son of Esli,
the son of Naggai, the son of Maath,
the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein,
the son of Josech, the son of Joda,
the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa,
the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel,
the son of Neri, the son of Melki,
the son of Addi, the son of Cosam,
the son of Elmadam, the son of Er,
the son of Joshua, the son of Eliezer,
the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat,
the son of Levi, the son of Simeon,
the son of Judah, the son of Joseph,
the son of Jonam, the son of Eliakim,
the son of Melea, the son of Menna,
the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan,
the son of David, the son of Jesse,
the son of Obed, the son of Boaz,
the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon,
the son of Amminadab, the son of Ram,
the son of Hezron, the son of Perez,
the son of Judah, the son of Jacob,
the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham,
the son of Terah, the son of Nahor,
the son of Serug, the son of Reu,
the son of Peleg, the son of Eber,
the son of Shelah, the son of Cainan,
the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem,
the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,
the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch,
the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel,
the son of Kenan, the son of Enosh,
the son of Seth, the son of Adam,
the son of God.

so don't take my word for, take Luke's....and God's too.

As you can see, if the Bible falls apart at the beginning, the Savior wasn't and isn't real.

He is though, praise God, He is.
Yes, I agree. Until recently, I kinda had some loosey-goosey ideas that the two concepts could at least possibly be compatible. But recently after re-reading certain scriptures in the Bible I became convinced that it can't be both unless I toss out some scripture and while I know some others of you do not share my view of the Bible, I am not willing to do that!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,800,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
What exactly is LIFE? What is this Life that God breathed into Adam? Could it perhaps be that intangible thing that separated Adam from the beasts? Not just the ability to breathe, but to THINK. To UNDERSTAND.

It's the sort of thing that someone with brain damage that has been kept in a closed room might have. Certainly the body is alive, but the body doesn't have LIFE as we know it.
My take on this is God breathed spirit/soul into Adam which then made his body alive. Yes, we are set apart from all the beasts of the earth for a very good reason...God created us that way. My view is Adam's body wasn't alive in any respect until God breathed into him.

Plus when Adam was naming the animals, he could not find a suitable mate. This tells me we are distinct and not some evolved form of other animals. Because there wasn't a suitable mate, God created one from Adam and Adam named her Eve. God didn't scramble a monkey and give it to Adam because Adam was himself not a scrambled monkey.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,211,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I just read an article regarding this. In the article it described how the writing style of Genesis was analyzed by Hebrew scholars who basically determined:

The style of writing in the original Hebrew indicates it is narrative or prose, not poetic in nature. It concludes the meaning of the word "day" in Genesis as written is meant to convey a normal, 24-hour day. BTW, the scholar who did the research does not himself believe in a literal creation. But even he stated, and I agree, shouldn't you read narrative as that and not as a metaphor?

Dinos were created by God on the 6th day with all the other land animals. Two of the dino kind were aboard the ark with Noah. Dinos are described in the book of Job. The word dinosaur wasn't coined until the 1800's, so of course the word dinosaur is not in the Bible. Dinos probably did go extinct for normal reasons like many other animals of our time, lack of habitat, hunted, etc.
So basically you all find that science has it right in regards to medicine but not carbon dating...?

Regarding narrative vs. metaphor, I have read convincing arguments from both sides. From what I have seen it is not a general consensus that the word day meant a literal 24 hour day...

I think, you guys, that we might just have to agree to disagree on this subject (like many others )

Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
You don't follow the logic that Adam is part of Jesus' genealogy so it's quite necessary for him to be real????

If your grandpa never existed, you wouldn't be here.

Is that easier to follow?
Once again, Alpha, you and I are completely misunderstanding each other. Maybe you posted this before you saw my previous response. I believe Adam to be a literal person, and I don't see how the story of creation being put into a figurative form makes Adam non-existant.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
To me, it seems quite obvious that the figurative language jumps out and is easily separated from the literal. Basically, figurative language was used to describe the real process of creation, and of course real names were used for the characters involved, such as Adam ect, because they were real people. But so as not to confuse the early writers, who had no knowledge or concept of modern science (and mankind would not until thousands of years later), God simplified the creation part of the story so as to get to the events directly concerning the people He created.
'Basically' this argument is used anytime a professing believer isn't comfortable with believing God is God.

I believe the snake spoke to Eve.

I believe Balaam's donkey spoke to him.

I believe Noah built an ark and was saved from a global flood.

I believe God's son was immaculately conceived and came and lived and died for me and my sins.

I believe He rose from the dead after three days.

I believe He now sits at God's right hand.

And I believe He's coming again.

If GOD is GOD, and God is real, none of this is hard to believe.

And, I suspect, you might even get an atheist to admit that IF God is real, then these things are quite plausible. Know why? Because atheists will usually admit that IF there's a God, there's nothing He can't do.

Know what else? They'd be right.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
'Basically' this argument is used anytime a professing believer isn't comfortable with believing God is God.

I believe God's son was immaculately conceived and came and lived and died for me and my sins.

And, I suspect, you might even get an atheist to admit that IF God is real, then these things are quite plausible. Know why? Because atheists will usually admit that IF there's a God, there's nothing He can't do.

Agreed. There is NOTHING He can't do. Including create via evolution and use figurative language in the Bible where He saw fit to do so.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Once again, Alpha, you and I are completely misunderstanding each other. Maybe you posted this before you saw my previous response. I believe Adam to be a literal person, and I don't see how the story of creation being put into a figurative form makes Adam non-existant.
You're confusing me.

Do you believe the creation story as revealed by God to Moses in the book of Genesis or not?

I don't think I should respond to your posts til I'm clear on this, since I was under the impression you feel like there's wiggle room in the first book of the Bible.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
You're confusing me.

Do you believe the creation story as revealed by God to Moses in the book of Genesis or not?

I don't think I should respond to your posts til I'm clear on this, since I was under the impression you feel like there's wiggle room in the first book of the Bible.
At times, it's like we speak 2 different languages, LOL.

I don't know how to make my beliefs any clearer. I guess read my posts again if you care to and...???

Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,902,237 times
Quote:

If you believe that there is nothing that God can't do, then why is Jeff's explanation in-plausible? Isn't there even a possibility that Jeff might be right?

I think this is where literal interpretations of the bible break down in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality