Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,820,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Dear, dear, Irish.....the Pope is ALWAYS on target....
LOL! Well you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 08:41 PM

743 posts, read 2,235,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Pope John Paul said pretty much the same thing. The Catholic Church is indeed open to the idea that some Bible stories are allegorical, and much to its credit, it has no problem with evolution, so long as God is somehow included in the equation! Believing in God and accepting evolutionary theory do NOT have to be mutually exclusive propositions. I've always believed that to be the case.

The pope's comments about the environment are not a big surprise, either. When I was a good Catholic, having dominion over the earth to me always meant being a good steward of it, not doing with it what I want.

The Catholic church also opposed the Iraq war and is against capital punishment. It's more progressive on many issues than some of us may imagine.
I agree w/ you, Rocky.....

Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 PM

743 posts, read 2,235,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
But the Catholic church eventually came around when overwhelming evidence, over many years, caused them to change. The Catholic church does change, but they can take centuries to do it. Whats a few hundred years to a 2000 year old institution?
Well put, Trebek....the catholic church is sometimes known as the "slow-moving giant"....or, maybe it's just using prudence.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,580 times
Exclamation preacher man

In response to all the conversation on Evolution verses Creationism.
How prophetic . The Scripture says in the last days men will do what's right in their own sight and that is exactly what you said people do and should do. The scripture also says that in the lastdays mankind will worship creation more than the creator. There are absolute truths and just because we as people choose to deny these truths, they still exsist. Do research on supposed prehistoric humanoid creatures, non of which are proof of anything finding bones scattered half amile apart and placing an ape jaw on a human skull is protraying fraud and calling it truth. I find it amazing that so many rise to the mantra of this theory. Just ponder for one moment the fact that each human retina has over 11 million unique and different cells in it and not one of them matches another nor do they match any in someone elses eye, How could this be chance and all work together to give us vision? Our modern secular society potrays on various cable channels that the big bang created life and the universe, nothing from nothing leads to nothing. This theory should not even be called a theory, because theory is an educated guess and this theory is nothing but people trying to place themselves higher than God himself, just like satan, so they don't have to answer to a creator. but once agian will do what is right in their own sight. The Word is true in Genesis it says in the begining was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. So to deny the bible as an alagory or story, is to deny the truth of Gods Nature. The new testament says that Jesus was the Word made flesh. It is sad that so many are products of secular humanism, being taught from a young age that evolution and secular humanism is a higher calling. So for the last several generations of students most have lost sight of truth and obediance to Gods Word and even to who God is. One day all will see clearly, when Jesus returns. In the eyes of our government and most coming out of our universities, human life has no value so our daughters visit doctors so their sons and daughters won't be born. If you want the real answers open the Word of God and read it prayerfully, the truth will be revealed to you. in closing study to show thyself approved to be a workman that neadeth not be ashammed rightly dividing the Word of Truth. Their is one King of Kings and Lord of Lords and He does not share power with anyone. Not me and not you. Bow to Jesus now or bow to Him when He comes back, but He is coming soon and all that is happining in our world points to His soon return. What then will all our professors, Judges , Teachers and Government do and all those that forsake the Lamb of God and His Word. The truth does matter. God created Man in His image and He spoke the worlds into exsistence. It is like that old song nothing from nothing leads to nothing. You gotta have something. Call on Jesus He will lead you to truth not fallable other humans or even your own heart. Read the book of Acts. I am sure Someone will answer no man knows the day or the hour. This is true but read on the bible says when you see these things come to pass, look up for redeemption draweth nigh. Jesus said my children I would not have you ignorant as to the times and the seasons. We are in those times and seasons now all the pope is saying all the world is converging on this new world order, All told would happen by the scripture in the last days. Repent!

Last edited by mrdd001; 06-18-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: spelling and punctuation

Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd001 View Post
In response to all the conversation on Evolution verses Creationism.
How prophetic, in responding to Irishmom. The Scripture says in the last days men will do what's right in their own sight and that is exactly what you said people do and should do. The scripture also says that in the lastdays mankind will worship creation more than the creator. There are absolute truths and just because we as people choose to deny these truths, they still exsist. Do research on supposed prehistoric humanoid creatures, non of which are proof of anything findind bones scattered half amile apart and placing an ape jaw on a human skull is protraying fraud and calling it truth. I find it amazing that so many rish to the mantra of this theory. Just ponder for one moment the fact that each human retina has over 11 million unique and different cells in it and not one of them matches another, How could this be chance and all work together to give us vision? Our modern secular society potrays on various cable channels that the big bang created life and the universe nohing from nothing leads to nothing. This theory should not even be called a theory, because theory is an educated guess and this theory is nothing but people trying to place themselves higher than God himself, just like satan, so they don't have to answer to a creator but once agian will do what is right in their own sight. The Word is tru in Genesis it says in the begining was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God, so to deny the bible as an alagory or story, is to deny the truth of Gods Nature. The new testament says that Jesus was the Word made flesh. It is sad that so many are products of secular humanism, being taught from a young age that evolution and secular humanism is a higher calling. So for the last several generations of students most have lost sight of truth and obediance to Gods Word and even to who God is. One day all will see clearly, when Jesus returns. In the eyes of our government and most coming out of our universities, human life has no value so our daughters visit doctors so their sons and daughters won't be born. If you want the real answers open the Word of God and read it prayerfully, the truth will be revealed to you. in closing study to show thyself approved to be a workman that neadeth not be ashammed rightly deviding the Word of Truth. Their is one King of Kings and Lord of Lords and He does not share power with anyone. Not me and not you. Bow to Jesus now or bow to Him when He comes back, but He is comiung soon and all that is happining in our world points to His soon return. What then will all our professors, Judges , Teachers and Government do and all those that forsake the Lamb of God and His Word. The truth does matter. God created Man in His image and He spoke the worlds in to exsistence. It is like that old song nothing from nothing leads to nothing. You gotta have something. Callon Jesus He will lead you to truth not fallable other humans or even your own heart.
I don't know if it is just me, but I cannot read a post that is all run together this way...The words all become a blur...

Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,580 times
Default doesn't run together

Is this readable? Genesis Chapter 1 verse 1-28
I will quote verse 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
No need to quote any of genesis ...I know it, but thanks anyway

Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
Explain talking snakes, please.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Explain talking snakes, please.
You're saying God couldn't make a snake talk? Interesting

or maybe...

You're saying God shouldn't make a snake talk? Interesting

or maybe....

You're saying God wouldn't make a snake talk? Interesting

How would you know these things beyond the shadow of a doubt?

Gotta special line to God?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 PM

22,932 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You're saying God couldn't make a snake talk?
Not at all. But I am saying that if we are going to take a 100% literal interpretation of Genesis, believing only what is written, then there is nothing written there about God making the snake do anything. It simply says the snake talked. Even stranger... the woman doesn't seem the least bit weirded out by this. How do you 'splain that?

Are you suggesting that God tempted Eve to Original Sin via the snake?

Or is there perhaps more going on here than a 100% literal interpretation allows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality