Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 02:05 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,701,721 times

Advertisements

Remote Russian Sect Revolves Around Self-Proclaimed Messiah.

Deep in the heart of Siberia's birch forests lies one of the largest and most remote religious communes of the planet. More than 5,000 people have left their families and their homes to move here and join the Church of the Last Testament, which has more than 10,000 followers worldwide. The church centers on one man. He is known simply as Vissarion, meaning "he who gives new life," or simply as the teacher, and he claims that he is Jesus Christ.

ABC News: Ex-Traffic Cop Says He's Jesus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 04:21 PM

33,598 posts, read 37,240,246 times
Naww...He can't be real. He wears white socks with his sandals...

There sure are a bunch of them proclaiming to be the one, isn't there? Probably a lot more than the ten listed too.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,652,799 times
sanspeur wrote:
Quote:
Naww...He can't be real. He wears white socks with his sandals...
Yeah, you've got a point there and the red draperies sewed into a robe with the Liberace design aren't very convincing either.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,121,761 times
Biblically, it's confirmation of the signs of the end times.

Luke 21:8 "And He said: “Take heed that you not be deceived. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and, ‘The time has drawn near.’ Therefore do not go after them.”

Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,480,171 times
It goes to show you how quickly ideologies can spring up based around one simple thing. Wasn't it Dawkins who pointed out the Cargo Cults in his book The God Delusion in which the natives of some Southern Pacific Island have been waiting for a World War II airman to return to the island? I think his name was John Farr? There's literally a John Farr cult on this South Pacific island who think that he is the "messiah". They have carved out runways in the middle of the jungle for his return and they are anxiously awaiting his return. It's the meme machine...

Old 06-24-2008, 12:56 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,946,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
It goes to show you how quickly ideologies can spring up based around one simple thing. Wasn't it Dawkins who pointed out the Cargo Cults in his book The God Delusion in which the natives of some Southern Pacific Island have been waiting for a World War II airman to return to the island? I think his name was John Farr? There's literally a John Farr cult on this South Pacific island who think that he is the "messiah". They have carved out runways in the middle of the jungle for his return and they are anxiously awaiting his return. It's the meme machine...
lol I loved that part, specially the bit where the guy responds to someone who said "its been 17 years already" by saying something like "well if you guys can wait 2000 for your messiah, we can wait for ours"

Old 06-25-2008, 04:22 AM

655 posts, read 919,561 times
I saw the documentary on television last night. The man is a certified, signed, sealed and delivered con-artist. Nothing more, nothing less.

The amazing part was all the gullible, brainwashed people. It was seriously frightening.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Biblically, it's confirmation of the signs of the end times.

Luke 21:8 "And He said: “Take heed that you not be deceived. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and, ‘The time has drawn near.’ Therefore do not go after them.”
Check his hands!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,032,670 times
Since my career began in law enforcement ( jail) 20+ years ago I have met Jesus several times...also, Moses, George Washington, Abe LIncoln, Donald Trump's father and John Wayne, to name a few. Oddly, the Jesus/Religion psychosis is by far the most common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality