Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 AM

14,973 posts, read 9,888,219 times

Advertisements

Pro 13:10 With pride comes only contention, but wisdom is with the well-advised.

As Christians we are not expected to understand everything. That would require flawless execution of thought. It would require knowledge of what has been, and what will be. We (people) call it the big picture, but it is more than that. We are perfected in a finite process that inhertently produces the same response as children... Why? That isn't necessarily bad... but it is predictable, and reasonable... given the confines of our world.

It is without a doubt, that if we knew everything... and every mystery was reveled, science and God's word would be in perfect alignment.

Jesus said in Matt 13:35b “I will open my mouth in parables,
I will announce what has been hidden from the foundation of the world.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 06:44 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,911,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Is it possible that God gathered one of the man-like creatures (homonoids or whatever you want to call them) that roamed the earth just like the other animals and changed him so that he could THINK and know right from wrong? Changed him so that he would know who and what God was????
Sure it's possible, but it would make the Bible false. The Bible says that God breathed life into the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Is it possible that the "made in his own image" meant that he became a reasoning being? He became a companion because of whatever gave him the ability to converse with God.

I really don't think it means a Physical image with facial hair and a penis. Does God have kidneys and bowels?
We agree on that Padgett, I don't think anyone can see God. And, no, I don't God has a physical body either. The Bible teaches that God is Spirit, Jesus is the part of the God-head that's visible. Who knows what all 'made in His image' emcompasses....reason, conscience, love, etc.....who knows.

I know a lot of folks who want to say that Genesis is allegorical, but I have a problem with that. Is Abraham allegory? Noah? Joseph? Isacc? Jacob? They are all in the same book. When you start down that road, as I said earlier, the entire Bible begins to fall apart.

Thanks GCSTroop, for seeing what many believers can't.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:54 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,204,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
The Pope has said many things. So have I.

Doesn't mean he's right, just means he said it.

The debate over Evolution and Creationism matters....if God is God.
Alpha, while others may not, I will agree with you one this one. The whole catholic thing makes me well....

Old 07-27-2007, 06:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,211,322 times
Quote:
Sure it's possible, but it would make the Bible false. The Bible says that God breathed life into the man.

We agree on that Padgett, I don't think anyone can see God. And, no, I don't God has a physical body either. The Bible teaches that God is Spirit, Jesus is the part of the God-head that's visible. Who knows what all 'made in His image' emcompasses....reason, conscience, love, etc.....who knows.

I know a lot of folks who want to say that Genesis is allegorical, but I have a problem with that. Is Abraham allegory? Noah? Joseph? Isacc? Jacob? They are all in the same book. When you start down that road, as I said earlier, the entire Bible begins to fall apart.

Thanks GCSTroop, for seeing what many believers can't.
Why is it a black or white proposition? Isn't it possible for creation to be described in metaphorical terms simply because when it was written, the writers would not have understood the scientific details? Why is it not possible for the Bible to contain both literal and metaphorical, or figurative language?

Also, how do creationists explain dinosaurs?

Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,226,890 times
What exactly is LIFE? What is this Life that God breathed into Adam? Could it perhaps be that intangible thing that separated Adam from the beasts? Not just the ability to breathe, but to THINK. To UNDERSTAND.

It's the sort of thing that someone with brain damage that has been kept in a closed room might have. Certainly the body is alive, but the body doesn't have LIFE as we know it.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,303,071 times
Quote:
irishmom, I don't know how to say this that hasn't already been said, but I'll try....

If we evolved from the same sludge everything else did, then exactly what part of us is in God's image? If God didn't create Adam as the Bible says He did, then that means that sin didn't enter the world through one man, and hence, it isn't defeated by one man. If you can take my bible apart at Genesis 1, the rest doesn't stand up either. And if Adam wasn't real, we can't trust Christ.

Evolution is denying the Word, the Savior, and God.

It also is non-existant, but then here me and GCSTroop go again!!
Yes, and isn't there something in Corinthians...or was it Romans... that Paul says about Adam which indicates what Alpha just referred to about death coming through the one man Adam and life through Christ? I'm at work so I can't take time to locate the scripture. It is another scriptural passage that seems to indicate that Adam was actually one "real" man.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,911,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Why is it a black or white proposition? Isn't it possible for creation to be described in metaphorical terms simply because when it was written, the writers would not have understood the scientific details?
When it was written, God understood the details. And didn't He direct the writing? Or is the story of Adam yet another one of those parts that's been deteriorated and changed by men?

Quote:
Why is it not possible for the Bible to contain both literal and metaphorical, or figurative language?
It is possible and it does contain all of those elements. Just not in Genesis.

Quote:
Also, how do creationists explain dinosaurs?
The same way non-creationist do. I'm not sure I understand your question. By the way, there are still dinosaurs in the world today...the coelacanth comes to mind. DINOFISH.com - COELACANTH: THE FISH OUT OF TIME

Old 07-27-2007, 08:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,902,237 times
Hey, it feels good to be a Catholic today!

I agree with the Pope (not always, but on these issues in the article).

Maybe Jeff is saying that carbon dating of dinosaurs puts them in a time period far before Genesis and Adam and Eve.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,211,322 times
Default Welcome back Al!

Quote:
When it was written, God understood the details. And didn't He direct the writing? Or is the story of Adam yet another one of those parts that's been deteriorated and changed by men?
Of course God understood the details, but man obviously would not have. Therefore He put in in figurative language, IMO.

Quote:
It is possible and it does contain all of those elements. Just not in Genesis.
What makes you think so? No flaming, just honestly asking for understanding...if it is possible and it does contain all of those elements, what is it that gives you the opinion that these elements are not contained in Genesis, only elsewhere in the Bible?

Quote:
The same way non-creationist do. I'm not sure I understand your question. By the way, there are still dinosaurs in the world today...the coelacanth comes to mind. DINOFISH.com - COELACANTH: THE FISH OUT OF TIME
My question is did T-rex's exist when Adam and Eve did? Did they just die 6 or 8 thousand years ago?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,759,383 times
My answer to the T-Rex question is yes, but not as a meat eater, and they drowned during the flood, thus covering their fossils with tons of debris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality