Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 09:59 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Investigative writer Jane Mayer - who is a great writer - is thinking about state legislatures generally, but using Ohio as an example.

Longtime Ohio politicians have been shocked by the state’s transformation into a center of extremist legislation, not just on abortion but on such divisive issues as guns and transgender rights.
“The legislature is as barbaric, primitive, and Neanderthal as any in the country. It’s really troubling.”
He has watched the reputation of Ohio’s public-school system slide as Republicans have siphoned off public funding to support failing, politically connected charter schools. In 2010, Education Week ranked the state’s schooling as the fifth best in the country; in 2021, U.S. News & World Report ranked it thirty-first.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...hing-democracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 03:18 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,247,746 times
It may seem extreme to those on the far left. I'm extremely pleased that my state has been a bastion of sanity in a country where sanity is in short supply.

Old 09-17-2022, 12:55 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Ohio has always been a working class state, and its politics follow where the blue-collar workers are leaning. It's sad, but unfortunately the Democrats left the working class behind in favor of coastal elites, and the Republican swooped in to fill the void with a lying demagogue who made all kinds of false promises to the working class, while actually doing little to help them, and instead mostly just directing their anger at immigrants and "Democrat" cities that they cast as hell-holes. If Democrats want to win back these voters, we need more of them to start acting like Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown, who focus less on the culture war issues and more on supporting blue-collar workers.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:17 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Ohio has always been a working class state, and its politics follow where the blue-collar workers are leaning. It's sad, but unfortunately the Democrats left the working class behind in favor of coastal elites, and the Republican swooped in to fill the void with a lying demagogue who made all kinds of false promises to the working class, while actually doing little to help them, and instead mostly just directing their anger at immigrants and "Democrat" cities that they cast as hell-holes. If Democrats want to win back these voters, we need more of them to start acting like Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown, who focus less on the culture war issues and more on supporting blue-collar workers.
Totally agree. Perhaps Tim Ryan will demonstrate the path forward for other democrats.

Old 09-17-2022, 09:32 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Investigative writer Jane Mayer - who is a great writer - is thinking about state legislatures generally, but using Ohio as an example.

Longtime Ohio politicians have been shocked by the state’s transformation into a center of extremist legislation, not just on abortion but on such divisive issues as guns and transgender rights.
“The legislature is as barbaric, primitive, and Neanderthal as any in the country. It’s really troubling.”
He has watched the reputation of Ohio’s public-school system slide as Republicans have siphoned off public funding to support failing, politically connected charter schools. In 2010, Education Week ranked the state’s schooling as the fifth best in the country; in 2021, U.S. News & World Report ranked it thirty-first.
I went to public school in Ohio and graduated from a public university in Ohio, and I know the bolded sentence is a blatant case of cherry picking.

I also know that certain voices will be shouting this rhetoric as long as Republicans are in power in Ohio, regardless of what the actual educational outcomes in Ohio are. You could have every objective metric showing that Ohio has the best public schools in the nation, and Democrats would still argue that the schools are terrible -- because they're not in power and thus, can't take credit for it.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:29 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
It may seem extreme to those on the far left. I'm extremely pleased that my state has been a bastion of sanity in a country where sanity is in short supply.
Did you read the article? That might clarify for you what people find extreme.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:55 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

“The legislature is as barbaric, primitive, and Neanderthal as any in the country. It’s troubling.”
He has watched the reputation of Ohio’s public school system slide as Republicans have siphoned off public funding to support failing, politically connected charter schools. In 2010, Education Week ranked the state’s schooling as the fifth best in the country; in 2021, U.S. News & World Report ranked it thirty-first.
I am a transplant from the NYC metro area, to Ohio. We moved from NY, for a more affordable lifestyle, yet had moderate politics, respect for education, superior health care, and vibrant cities with arts, culture, and professional sports. (That last requirement was my husband's)

We are not Southerners. The Bible Belt would not work for us. We are not conservatives by any stretch of the imagination. We enjoy the outdoors and eating out. We are not fans of fast food, we prefer sophisticated food, whether international, ethnic and fine dining. We are socially progressive, and we have Gay friends.

Both of us are saddened by the path that Ohio has taken. It's disturbing.

We live in Trumbull County, but we go to Cleveland many weekends. We have made more like-minded friends there. Cleveland still feels chill and interesting. We were still interested in selling our house and relocating to Cleveland. Now, we are unsure.

On the way home Sunday, on 422 we had a discussion. It's always a little sad to return leave Cleveland but this time we noticed a proliferation of Right Wing billboards, and lawn signs, more numerous than ever before. More of them, and more extreme, angry, and hateful. Especially towards the current president. We also took notice of all of the fundamentalist churches. It seems that every other month, there's a new Mega Church upstart. I've never seen more Pentecostal, Nazarene, and Baptist churches - except in the Carolinas.

We didn't want to move to the Bible Belt, but it seems the Bible Belt has moved to us.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:14 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Did you read the article? That might clarify for you what people find extreme.
I do not think that many people did. The "Both Sides of the Holocaust" bill is terribly disturbing and extreme. I am ashamed that my friends who live out of state have begun to ask how I can tolerate living in a state that will not provide a termination of pregnancy procedure to a ten-year-old child who is a victim of rape.

We just watched "The US and the Holocaust" produced by Ken Burnes. We both think that MORE should be taught in public schools about the Holocaust - not less, and especially more about American complicity.
It was a good documentary. It didn't contain anything I did not already know, but it presented it in a way that made me fear the future of any place that does not recognize that there are NOT two sides to every story, and if we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:45 AM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am a transplant from the NYC metro area, to Ohio. We moved from NY, for a more affordable lifestyle, yet had moderate politics, respect for education, superior health care, and vibrant cities with arts, culture, and professional sports. (That last requirement was my husband's)

We are not Southerners. The Bible Belt would not work for us. We are not conservatives by any stretch of the imagination. We enjoy the outdoors and eating out. We are not fans of fast food, we prefer sophisticated food, whether international, ethnic and fine dining. We are socially progressive, and we have Gay friends.

Both of us are saddened by the path that Ohio has taken. It's disturbing.

We live in Trumbull County, but we go to Cleveland many weekends. We have made more like-minded friends there. Cleveland still feels chill and interesting. We were still interested in selling our house and relocating to Cleveland. Now, we are unsure.

On the way home Sunday, on 422 we had a discussion. It's always a little sad to return leave Cleveland but this time we noticed a proliferation of Right Wing billboards, and lawn signs, more numerous than ever before. More of them, and more extreme, angry, and hateful. Especially towards the current president. We also took notice of all of the fundamentalist churches. It seems that every other month, there's a new Mega Church upstart. I've never seen more Pentecostal, Nazarene, and Baptist churches - except in the Carolinas.

We didn't want to move to the Bible Belt, but it seems the Bible Belt has moved to us.
Sheena, you seem like a cool person. Sorry to hear about your recent negative impressions in Greater Cleveland. Were there specific areas you can point to?

Old 09-19-2022, 07:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
I think it's important to not judge people by what they put in front of their house. I actually wouldn't be too upset if lawn signs were banned, it makes it too easy to be hostile to people you don't know at all. I get along with the people in my neighborhood with both the "Let's Go Brandon" sign and the pride flag. Perhaps I'm alone, but I actually find it kinda encouraging that these types of people can coexist in such close proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio