Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:22 AM

17 posts, read 93,769 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I've fallen in love with West Windsor-Plainsboro school district for my kids, plus the commute is not bad to my husband's job in Teaneck, and I am willing to take the train to Manhattan for grad school. However, since we only have 1 income coming in until I graduate (several years from now because I am considering a doctorate)... well, we can only afford a 2BR condo w/ loft in the area. For the same price, we saw a 3-story townhouse in East Windsor, specifically in the Twin Rivers community. My question is: it is possible to live in EW but go to school in WW?

My son will be entering 10th grade this September and good schools are crucial. Here in Queens, NY, all his teachers keep telling him he has potential, but the school's lack of funding keeps my son under the radar. I would like my son to be motivated and inspired by school, and I can see that happening in WW.

Any advice anyone can give will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 AM

Red face p.s.

I have two kids actually. A 15 y.o. son and a 4 y.o. daughter. This is why a 2BR w/ loft would be a real sacrifice.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
In order to register your children in the WW-P school district you must produce a rental contract or signed mortgage agreement on a residence within the WW-P school district. There are, currently, several condos and town homes for rent in the district.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
short reply ==> NO

You have to prove you reside in WWT

Old 02-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for the tip, perhaps I will just push to find a place in WW-Plainsboro then. Maybe if we raise the budget a bit. More and more I am realizing how important the school district is.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,703 times
Default sorry

no, you may not go to WW schools if you live in EW. Those two districts are so completely different from each other. I would consider living in a smaller space. If you want WW schools you are not going to be thrilled with EW schools. They are improving but have a long way to go still.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Twin Rivers also isnt the same anymore

Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM

Hi everyone, and thanks for the comments. The reason why I asked this question in the first place is because there are specialized schools here in NYC that kids can apply/audition for. Also, there are parents who petition to have their kids transferred to better schools. But anyway, with the short reply of NO, I cannot live in EW and go to WW schools... well, now I can be more firm with telling the realtor to take EW off the search list. I've also began to accept living in a smaller place so my kids can go to better schools.

It's also interesting that the quality of EW is deemed "bad." Here in NYC, if a neighborhood is bad, you can tell off the bat. I'm glad I asked questions (and did more research about schools, etc.)-- otherwise, I'd have said I'LL TAKE IT! to that EW townhome! I really could not tell the difference between the condo communities in Plainsboro and the townhome communities in EW...

Old 02-26-2007, 04:47 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
I think the term "bad" describing the EW school district is relative. If you look at the stats (test scores, SAT's, % of kids going on to higher education etc,etc), EW schools would look pretty good on a national scale. Locally, they don't stack up so well. But they are being compared to Princeton, Hopewell, Montgomery and WW-P. These districts score very highly in most of the measured stats. They don't rank the students in WW-P because there are too many students in the top 1% of the graduating class.
Around here, you can pretty much tell the quality of the school district by the price of housing!
Good luck with your search !

Old 02-27-2007, 06:36 PM

113 posts, read 462,132 times
Smile East Windsor or West Windsor?

Just a followup to the post by JerseyJ. You certainly can just drive through both communities, especially the newer more recent and you will see the major difference just in the prices of homes.

I've been invloved with programs from both school districts. The West Windsor District both North & South High School's are extremely competitive academically. The post is correct when they infer about the comparison among schools such as Princeton, Montgomery, Hopewell etc. The East Windsor District has some work to do and it does seem to stem from the community profile. But, like most districts they do have very good programs where students with the intelligence and desire can achieve. I recently sat through an athletic assembly and was somewhat shocked at the caliber of schools across the board where East Windsor students were committed to. The resources are there but like most places it takes the work of both staff & student. Just as an observation I would say that you are looking at very diverse populations that make up both districts as well.

Best of Luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey