Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,639 times

Advertisements

My SO and I are looking to rent in northern NJ. I'll be taking mass transit to the lower east side (either the PATH to WTC or the ferry to Wall St). She'll be driving to Wayne. We've been looking virtually everywhere between those locations and don't really have a good idea of what meets our needs.

We're both young trendy professionals (no kids), so Hoboken might be the logical decision, but rent is pretty absurd. The areas around there look pretty appealing but the concern is her commute across route 3 during rush hour.

We're looking for a 1-2 bedroom (roughly 800sqft minimum) condo/townhouse/apartment. Budget is $1500-2000/month with a little wiggle room on the high end if there are some banging amenities (free parking, community pool, super close to transportation, etc.) Dishwasher and washer/dryer in unit are necessities; modern appliances would be awesome.

Walking/staggering distance to food and drink locally would be phenomenal. We've checked out areas like Bloomfield, Montclair and Verona, but I don't know how the commute to the city would work. Perhaps Clifton/Passaic/Rutherford?

Is there any way we could get both of our commutes to around a half an hour, 45 minutes or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwmeg View Post
My SO and I are looking to rent in northern NJ. I'll be taking mass transit to the lower east side (either the PATH to WTC or the ferry to Wall St). She'll be driving to Wayne. We've been looking virtually everywhere between those locations and don't really have a good idea of what meets our needs.

We're both young trendy professionals (no kids), so Hoboken might be the logical decision, but rent is pretty absurd. The areas around there look pretty appealing but the concern is her commute across route 3 during rush hour.

We're looking for a 1-2 bedroom (roughly 800sqft minimum) condo/townhouse/apartment. Budget is $1500-2000/month with a little wiggle room on the high end if there are some banging amenities (free parking, community pool, super close to transportation, etc.) Dishwasher and washer/dryer in unit are necessities; modern appliances would be awesome.

Walking/staggering distance to food and drink locally would be phenomenal. We've checked out areas like Bloomfield, Montclair and Verona, but I don't know how the commute to the city would work. Perhaps Clifton/Passaic/Rutherford?

Is there any way we could get both of our commutes to around a half an hour, 45 minutes or so?
any town served by NJT 191/195

Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
any town served by NJT 191/195
Something like Clifton might work; according to the timetables, the bus takes 25 minutes to get to the NYC PATH terminal. I imagine a subway downtown would get me the rest of the way.

Another though is Rutherford. Train from there to Hoboken followed by the PATH or the ferry into the city.

Does anybody make the commute from (give or take) Jersey City to Wayne? Google maps says it's roughly 30 minutes without and 45 minutes with traffic. Are those estimates anywhere near accurate?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:32 PM

52 posts, read 196,201 times
I sometimes make it from Kearny to Wayne (which is right by Jersey City). 45 minutes can be accurate...but it can be an hour, depending on how bad the traffic gets and the time she is going. I usually leave around 745 and usually get to Wayne by 8:20-8:30.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesam View Post
I sometimes make it from Kearny to Wayne (which is right by Jersey City). 45 minutes can be accurate...but it can be an hour, depending on how bad the traffic gets and the time she is going. I usually leave around 745 and usually get to Wayne by 8:20-8:30.
really kearny to wayne is faster by bus use 76 to rte 3 then 192 to 195 but it's actually faster to use PATH then 197 from PABT or even decamp cause the traffic doesnt get bad for buses at least.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:47 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
i'd do montclaire or morristown for young profs like yourselves. but you can commute to wayne from Hoboken. it's really not that bad especially depending on the time she leaves Hoboken. there are windows where it's tougher to get out of Hoboken, but that's the worst part of the commute. once you're up on 495...it's reverse commute with little traffic.

but yes, rent in hoboken isn't cheap.

weehawken maybe? jersey city heights? jersey city? all gonna be around hoboken rent, maybe a bit cheaper though.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
hoboken to wayne! That's an easy hour commute with traffic, although you will dodge most of it with the reverse commute. I'm all about Hoboken for the scene but you are asking for a nightmare. Parking in Hoboken is the worst. When you get home from work you will drive around forever looking for a spot. Stick to Rutherford, Montclair and Clifton, in that order. There are tons of privately owned luxury townhouses/condo communities in Clifton(like Riverwalk). Many have pools, club houses etc. People who are having trouble selling are often looking to rent out their units until the market improves. You might be able to score something nice on the upper end of your budget.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
hoboken to wayne! That's an easy hour commute with traffic, although you will dodge most of it with the reverse commute. I'm all about Hoboken for the scene but you are asking for a nightmare. Parking in Hoboken is the worst. When you get home from work you will drive around forever looking for a spot. Stick to Rutherford, Montclair and Clifton, in that order. There are tons of privately owned luxury townhouses/condo communities in Clifton(like Riverwalk). Many have pools, club houses etc. People who are having trouble selling are often looking to rent out their units until the market improves. You might be able to score something nice on the upper end of your budget.
eh. depending on time of day her work ends, parking is possible. there's lots of factors really. plus, some apartments come with parking (though usually that adds to the rent prices). it never took me an hour to get to wayne from hoboken. even google maps, which i've found to be pretty good with it's time estimates...pings it at 45 minutes "with traffic". 29 minutes without. the hardest part is getting up the ramp onto 495 in weehawken. if you learn the right times though, you can eliminate that problem too. once you're on 495...3...there's virtually nothing slowing you down.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
Hoboken is a disaster for parking. Also, your budget wont afford it. Go to Rutherford as other stated. You can park there, quicker commute, and afford it!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,523 times
For $1500 you can get something decent in Clifton. You can probably find something walking distance to food/drinks too. Search Riverwalk in Clifton. Nice townhomes that people sometimes rent for under $2000 and you can walk to things, easy commute to NY and easy commute to Wayne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey